LED Insanity

Started by Philippe, August 04, 2010, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

An acquaintance has asked me to assist him in building his first DIY project...a TS808 overdrive derivative with clipping options & a frequency cut-off (aka Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive).

Sounds basic enough except for what I perceive to be his obsessive-compulsive mentality.

Dig this...(1) he wants a green & red LEDs to indicate effect/bypass; (2) two ultrabright LEDs for the clipping modes; (3) two ultrabright LEDs to indicate frequency settings; (4) plus similar LEDs on the AC adaptor & input/output jacks to verify current source, input jack on/off current drain & effect out.

Other than suggesting a larger Hammond 1590BB enclosure & possibly DPDT switches for the LEDs (?) I had to decline any involvement with this moronic project. Maybe Beavis Audio can steer him in the right direction.

Chances are this effect is going to sound like a bag of microwavable popcorn if it even functions at all...or worst case, he can use it to help illuminate the stage. *wondering where these kinds of people come from...must be some sort of Freudian anal thing*

mth5044

Mmm I love LED's. The more LED's a pedal has the better. Sounds like a fun project to me. I have no interest in a tubescreamer though  :-\

zombiwoof

Sounds to me like he wants the pedal to also light up his pedalboard.

Al

jasperoosthoek

I have three white 1 watt LEDs. Interested? They can serve as input/output cable indication. Put the third in the bottom to indicate that the box is upside down. ;)
[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com

amptramp

Quote from: Philippe on August 04, 2010, 03:15:14 PM
An acquaintance has asked me to assist him in building his first DIY project...a TS808 overdrive derivative with clipping options & a frequency cut-off (aka Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive).

Sounds basic enough except for what I perceive to be his obsessive-compulsive mentality.

Dig this...(1) he wants a green & red LEDs to indicate effect/bypass; (2) two ultrabright LEDs for the clipping modes; (3) two ultrabright LEDs to indicate frequency settings; (4) plus similar LEDs on the AC adaptor & input/output jacks to verify current source, input jack on/off current drain & effect out.

Other than suggesting a larger Hammond 1590BB enclosure & possibly DPDT switches for the LEDs (?) I had to decline any involvement with this moronic project. Maybe Beavis Audio can steer him in the right direction.

Chances are this effect is going to sound like a bag of microwavable popcorn if it even functions at all...or worst case, he can use it to help illuminate the stage. *wondering where these kinds of people come from...must be some sort of Freudian anal thing*

Clipping with LED's is fine as long as they are shielded from ambient light.  Keep them totally enclosed inthe box or you will find they make efficient photodiodes that respond to ambient lighting by modulating the sound with all kinds of hum.  Outdoor concerts will have the clipping levels vary with ambient light, so that cloud that comes over the stage will increase the volume and clipping level if the LED's are outside.

pjwhite

It doesn't sound moronic, but it does sound expensive.  It would be great to have visual indicators for every possible state on a stompbox, but space, complexity and cost considerations can make you start to think twice about how much you really need all those lights.

bassk81976

Quote from: amptramp on August 04, 2010, 07:07:26 PM
Clipping with LED's is fine as long as they are shielded from ambient light.  Keep them totally enclosed inthe box or you will find they make efficient photodiodes that respond to ambient lighting by modulating the sound with all kinds of hum.  Outdoor concerts will have the clipping levels vary with ambient light, so that cloud that comes over the stage will increase the volume and clipping level if the LED's are outside.

wait, light shining on an LED effect it's clipping/sonic affects?

AWESOME.

Taylor

Quote from: jasperoosthoek on August 04, 2010, 06:59:55 PMPut the third in the bottom to indicate that the box is upside down.

:D

Get this man a beverage.

Quackzed

if your overkill led is lit, it is working properly.
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Bad Chizzle

Oh man, LED on the bottom is Classic!
I dig hot Asian chicks!

Earthscum

Jes*s, man! I thought I had the only friend who apparently has a fetish with indicators!

Just make sure you tell him you have to charge an extra $50 for the breakout box. Then another $20 as a power surcharge from wattage you consumed during testing and debugging  :)

... As a side thought, have you made sure he doesn't want his own stage light controller built in, and maybe an incandescent or two for 'mojo'?
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

stringsthings

Quote from: Philippe on August 04, 2010, 03:15:14 PM

Does your acquaintance ever visit this forum?

kupfer_m

don't LED yourself go on that!

rustypinto

most of these sound easy to do, and you may consider a tiny microcontroller to manage all the I/O and alleviate some, if not all, of the popping problems you might run into.
  • SUPPORTER