NEW PRODUCT: Taptation Tap Tempo controller

Started by aron, August 09, 2010, 03:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

Yes it should. You can't tap a long delay as the circuit resets. You only need two taps to set the delay. Is the delay faster than what you tap and what the LEDs indicate?

chuckd666

Yeah I tapped the longest I could tap before the circuit reset itself, and still no-go. Hm. I'll let you know my IC replacement results tomorrow, postal service permitting!

chuckd666

Yeah my tap seems to reset itself quite quickly (eg it goes from holding the LED on, to going back to flashing to the tap). It is still out of time and I find it unlikely that the digipot is the culprit. I have checked all my values for resistors etc and everything is in place and aligned appropriately. Hm.

chuckd666

So just to update, I bought 5x digipots and tried them out http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/digital-potentiometers/0403654/.

I'm still getting under 60k so there must be something going wrong. Tap is still out of sync.

It's still correctly synced with the LED, but the repeats are too fast.  :icon_cry:

I dunno what to do!

blearyeyes

There isn't anything you can do. If you start talking about it people will get upset. I couldn't find any help. Everyone points fingers at each other and then blame the chips.

I bought bunches of PT2399s from several batches and none helped. I had a few digital pots and they didn't help. The only thing I didn't try was getting more taptation chips from Aron as he convinced me there was no way it could be those...

Maybe I should give that a try..

slacker

Quote from: chuckd666 on January 15, 2016, 10:13:52 PM
So I measured between pins 6 and 8 on my MCP41100 (with delay time pot at full) and it reads just below 60k. Useless?

You need to measure between pins 5 and 7, or is 6 and 8 just a typo.

blearyeyes

Hey Slacker,

Pin 6 is where the clock is controlled by the digipot.
It says VCO on the spec sheet.

When you say 5 & 7 it looks like 5 is the CLK_O  that would be clock out?

And 7 is CC1 what would that be?

slacker

I meant pins 5 and 7 on the digipot, not on the PT2399. Chuckd666 said he measured between pins 6 and 8 on the MCP41100, which is between the the wiper of the pot and the power supply.
You need to do this with the PT2399 disconnected to get a reliable reading.

chuckd666

Alright I'll pull the PT2399 and get another reading on the digipot. And yes I MEANT 5-7 ;)

Cheers

blearyeyes

If you pull the pt2399 you can measure from pin 6s  socket and ground.

blearyeyes

chuckd666

Setting the knob to full, I get 93.6k resistance on pin 6 of the PT2399. I can't get it to go any higher than this using the tap because it resets too fast for me to get any more resistance than that. The highest I could get tapping the tempo was around 92k. Weird and still outta sync.

blearyeyes

That's about what I got as well. The digipot was from Aron and I tried another one I had. Both the same. The PT2399s were from 5 different batches and all did basically the same thing. Some were worse than others. The taptation board was from Guitar PCB. From them I got a high brow lecture about how you need a scope to determine if the echoes are really synchronous as light travels faster than sound..or something like that. After my reply, I'm banned from Barry's site. Can't call out BS when you hear it over there I guess it's not PC.

Madbean has a chip set that works fine but it is a much older Taptation chip. Go figure.

If you get any results let me know. 

chuckd666

Well great, the tap is useless at the moment. Gonna take it to my friend who has a scope to look at it. NOT LOVIN' MY CHANCES but hey why not.

blearyeyes

If your friend figures anything out please post. Good luck! 

slacker

Quote from: blearyeyes on February 19, 2016, 02:46:14 PM
I got a high brow lecture about how you need a scope to determine if the echoes are really synchronous as light travels faster than sound..

That's complete rubbish, over short distances the relative speed of light and sound isn't going to make a difference.
The easiest way to see if the delays are in sync is to get a simple drum loop with a beat on each quarter note, run that through the pedal, set the pedal to one repeat, set the taptation to quarter notes and tap in time to the beat. That should give give a delay time equal to a quarter note so the delayed version of one beat will land on the next beat. You can easily hear if that's in sync or not.

Madbean has a chip set that works fine but it is a much older Taptation chip. Go figure.

That won't have anything to do with it, there's virtually no way the taptation chip can be out of spec. In theory the firmware could get corrupted but the chances of that happening to multiple chips in a way that made them all appear to work but set the delay too fast is practically zero. I suppose it's possible at some point the firmware Aron is burning the chips with got changed but then none of them would work properly.

Your best bet for figuring this problem out is to find someone with a working setup and and sent them all your parts and get them to swap bits out until the problem appears.

blearyeyes

Aron uses a HASH algorithm  to check the firmwares integrity so that can't be corrupted.

aron

I thought this problem was found to be the PT2399 chips? We went through this already.

aron

I checked and I have a message on April 13 2105 of last year saying you found pt2399 chips that work. I forwarded this information to others. What is going on here?

Not only that don't say that no one wanted to help. I have a long thread about this with people trying to help you. We also talked about the hash algorithm and you told me you understood. If this was solved last year why is it coming up again?

Wait a minute you said you bought bunches of PT2399 and none helped? I have a direct quote saying that different PT2399 DID make a difference. Again, what is going on?