NEW PRODUCT: Taptation Tap Tempo controller

Started by aron, August 09, 2010, 03:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beo

Thanks slacker. In addition to shorting the transistor, I'll still want to short the mod cap in order to kill the LED flash (using DPDT), right? Otherwise the LED will still flash with the mod speed?

slacker

aziltz

can 2 taptation controllers be chained together to drive 2 separate PT2399s in sync?

Perhaps just driving them with the same tap momentary switch?

Marcvv

Quote from: aziltz on November 30, 2010, 12:27:57 PM
can 2 taptation controllers be chained together to drive 2 separate PT2399s in sync?

Perhaps just driving them with the same tap momentary switch?
Hi,

That question was already asked by me and answered earlier in a post by Andrew.
Using the same momentary switch works to set the two in motion but as soon as you select a subdivision and switch back you will notice a difference. I tried that.  ;)
The reason for that inaccuracy has also been explained. Just read a few posts back.

Marc

aziltz

thanks.  I've read it and didn't really like what I heard.  I would love to have something that functioned like the PTAP2 from Thought Process, Inc but they are no longer available.  It be nice to drive 2 PT2399s in sync.  I have a idea for a super stereo PT80-like thing.

The Tone God

Addressing the digital pot / accuracy issue:

There is a reason why I prefer to do real world testing instead of relying just on datasheets. I didn't care if the digital pots were exactly 100K because my readings were not made with that being important. I tested in a real world operating circuit and based my result on that, not what a bunch of datasheets say. When I made my readings I went through several digital pots from a three different production batches. My findings were very little variation and thats what is important. As long as the digital pots stayed accurate over a range then important factor was the calibration of the pot to time.

That aside I'm looking back into an idea I had awhile back to help further hone the accuracy so that a manual calibration mode may not be needed.

So few hours.

Andrew

au_loki

Quote from: The Tone God on November 19, 2010, 02:20:33 AM
I do have to stress that the TapTation is only setup for the 100K digital pot. Replacing it with the 50K will throw all the calibration off.
Hmmm - I should have listened to TTG as putting in a 50k dig pot doesn't work at all well - it does come up with some interesting results though.

Regarding the timing issues - they are only out by a little bit and for what it's worth this is a great solution.
Later au_loki

aron

OK still looking for someone in the US that has a working taptation circuit with a socket. I'd like to send them a chip to test. Please respond via PM.

Scott Swartz

Aron I have a working circuit, sent you a PM

tigert10

Are these going to be available again?  Have some Christmas money to spend and some ideas to test...

ppatchmods

When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

sentimentalbob

Hi! Can I reserve 2 taptation IC or module?

served

I want also few of them! Hope you manage to get enough of them and shout out when they become available.

Skruffyhound

aron

I will have the Taptation chips ready to order this Monday. I will post a follow up in the forum.

Thanks!

Aron

Valoosj

I hope you have plenty, everybody has been waiting for them  :icon_biggrin:

As your previous post indicate, I assume you guys improved the taptation?
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

The Tone God

There shouldn't be anymore "out of stock" issues now. :)

Right now it is still the same version. There will not be any upgrades until I have fully tested them. I'm a stickler for these sort of things. I do hope the new upgrades work as I think everyone will enjoy them. If there are any upgrades the documentation will be updated at the same time to reflect the changes.

Andrew

Marcvv

Quote from: The Tone God on January 23, 2011, 01:04:03 AM
There shouldn't be anymore "out of stock" issues now. :)

Right now it is still the same version. There will not be any upgrades until I have fully tested them. I'm a stickler for these sort of things. I do hope the new upgrades work as I think everyone will enjoy them. If there are any upgrades the documentation will be updated at the same time to reflect the changes.

Andrew

I have tested the last version and it works really well. 8)
Installed in combination with a PT 80 delay. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to experiment with tap tempo.
The perf layout I posted earlier in this thread works fine, for those who are wanting to build it.

Thanks Andrew and Aron :icon_razz:

Marc

au_loki

Hi there - anyone who is allergic to perfboard here are 2 vero layouts:

Let the chip ordering begin!!
Later au_loki