NEW PRODUCT: Taptation Tap Tempo controller

Started by aron, August 09, 2010, 03:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

mhartington

hey is there some kind of .pdf for some kind step-by step instructions? I've seen the vero layouts in this thread and i just dont get how to incorporate the circuit in to a delay. For instance, I have a PT-80 from GGG, and using the layout below i just dont understand how this would be hooked up. I dont need a double time switch or tempo scale but just the foot switch for the tap tempo and a pot for controlling the modulations depth. Anyone know of a stripped down layout.

Also, and i know ill get s**t for this (mostly due to my lack or knowledge) but what is the PWM Cycle Speed and tempo clock?  Help me expand my knowledge  :icon_lol:

heres the layout im using as a reference

Quote from: gitaar0 on September 19, 2010, 11:06:37 AM

The Tone God

Thanks for the layout au_loki!

Quote from: mhartington on January 24, 2011, 03:24:25 PM
Also, and i know ill get s**t for this (mostly due to my lack or knowledge) but what is the PWM Cycle Speed and tempo clock?  Help me expand my knowledge  :icon_lol:

Read through the datasheet and PT2399 app note. They explain each of the pin's functions. You can decided if you want that function or you can just wire it permanently to the way you want. The quick answer is the Tempo Clock input is the tap switch and PWM cycle speed sets the duty cycle of the modulation to either half or full so it is similar to the chorus/vibrato switch on a DMM.

Andrew

mhartington

Quote from: au_loki on January 23, 2011, 08:52:07 PM

so if i understand after reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading the application note and using the layout about and the pdf for my pt80 from ggg, it seems as simple as soldering a few connection (after building the board obviously). As for the switches being shown, for the the tempo, pwm, and double time, what switches do you guys recommend? The tempo scale is jsut SPDT switch right? Also, for the delay time pot in the taptation, does that just replace what original time pot from the pt-80?

Only other thing that confuses me is the voltage difference between the two layouts for stripboard and the layout for perf. Why is it only 5vlts for the perf layout and in the stripboard you can use 9vlts? Just wondering

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_pt80_lo1.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

BoxOfSnoo

Quote from: mhartington on January 25, 2011, 03:35:21 PM
Quote from: au_loki on January 23, 2011, 08:52:07 PM

Only other thing that confuses me is the voltage difference between the two layouts for stripboard and the layout for perf. Why is it only 5vlts for the perf layout and in the stripboard you can use 9vlts? Just wondering

Just to answer this part... the vero layout includes a 5v regulator (in the bottom left, looks like a transistor) which can take 9v and convert it.  The perf version leaves that out and you'd have to convert it offboard.  Or add it in to your own perf layout, if you prefer.
My Dropbox referral link - bonus 250MB of space for both of us if you use it

mhartington

ah alright thanks for clearing that up for me, appreciate it  ;D

The Tone God

Quote from: mhartington on January 25, 2011, 03:35:21 PM
so if i understand after reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading the application note and using the layout about and the pdf for my pt80 from ggg, it seems as simple as soldering a few connection (after building the board obviously). As for the switches being shown, for the the tempo, pwm, and double time, what switches do you guys recommend? The tempo scale is jsut SPDT switch right? Also, for the delay time pot in the taptation, does that just replace what original time pot from the pt-80?

Yes it should be pretty easy to wire in the TapTation into the PT80. You can reuse the 50K linear Delay Time pot for the Time pot on the TapTation if you already have it. The pot doesn't have to be a 100K, just linear taper. If you are going to wire the TapTation via the pads on the GGG board layout then jumper the 1K resistor at T3 otherwise the calibration will be off. Other then that you would just replace the Delay Time pot with the TapTation time control. When you turn the pot it will override the tap time going into manual mode.

The tempo scale switch should be a ON-OFF-ON switch which is a three position SPST switch. If you can't find one you can wire a common ON-ON switch as in the diagram, optionally you can leave the 100K resistor off the center pole in this configuration, and you will get just the quarter and eighth scales. The double time and PWM switches are normal two position SPST switches. The Tempo Input switch can be a toggle or momentary switch, set through the Tempo Clock Pulse Mode Input, but most people with make this a footswitch. You can use the 3PDT that Aron sells using one pole.

If you wish you can skip the voltage regulator and wire into the PT80's 5v supply. The only major caveat is you should be sure how much current you are pulling from the regulator but I think you will be fine. If not or you want to be safe use the regulator provided on the strip board.

Andrew

mhartington

awesome, thanks for the response Andrew. For the voltage regulator, does it have to be lm705 regulator? I cant seem to find it on mouse or smallbears but i did find one that seems to be a good equivalent.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/LM78L05ACZX/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMug9GoBKXZ759gGZZMS9Y2SAmLuMqNfRoc%3d

the data sheet seems to show that the pin out should work. Any opinions?

And for the jumper, i just remove the 1k resistor and put a jumper there? Or am i jumping else where?

au_loki

Hi there - in regards to the 5v regulator you can use any one that has the same configuration as the layout. Smallbear sell a IC 78L05 which will be fine.
For the jumper you must short out the 1k resistor to make sure that the 1k resistor is not in series with the Taptation resistance or the delays will be 'Taptation resistance + 1k'. I hope this explains things for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Later au_loki.

Moonibopper

Quick question... what do the two diodes going to "tempo input" indicate?

mhartington

its the leds that indicate the tempo of the delay.

Moonibopper

mhartington

the best way i can describe it is in reference to this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrx1sCFXhNs&feature=BF&playnext=1&list=QL&index=1

see how the 3 led behave. the yellow one on the right is power, the led on the left is the tempo, and the middle one just indicates when the switch is being pressed. As u press the tempo switch, it's led sets the tempo for the delay and the left led expresses that. Once you build the taptation, the non blinking led can be hidden in the enclosure if you want.

Dont know if i explained this so that everyone can understand but it makes sense in my head  :D

Moonibopper

That makes perfect sense... thank you!

I know it's a little bit off topic, but I'm incorporating this into the PT-80 from GGG. I only have 1uf electrolytics... but the layout doesn't specify the polarity of the 1uf (10 of them!) Can anyone help with polarity?

The Tone God

Just to make it alittle clearer about the LEDs, one LED is the tempo you entered either through the time pot or the tap input. The other LED displays the tempo with the scale applied so if you are set to the eighth note scale one LED will show the quarter note input tempo and the other eighth note scaled tempo. It is sometimes hard to know if the input tempo is right when you only see the scaled tempo flashing at you. Likewise sometimes it is hard to know what you may have set the scale tempo to so its nice to see that output. This is why both outputs are offered.

This is covered in the documentation so read it all over.

Andrew

mhartington

Quote from: Moonibopper on January 29, 2011, 08:30:42 PM
That makes perfect sense... thank you!

I know it's a little bit off topic, but I'm incorporating this into the PT-80 from GGG. I only have 1uf electrolytics... but the layout doesn't specify the polarity of the 1uf (10 of them!) Can anyone help with polarity?

I am doing the same thing, incorporating it into a pt80. The schematic doesn't show the caps to be electrolytics. If you look at the application note, it shows them to be just regular caps, unless there was a change in them somewhere with in this thread but i dont think so.

Moonibopper

JD got back to me with a layout with electrolytics instead... so it's all good!

mhartington

just got the parts in the mail today for the taptation! gonna start drawing everything verify that im gonna do everything right

mhartington

so if i got everything right, this should be how to hook it up with a pt80.

from the taptation
the connect to pin6 of the pt2399 obviously goes to pin6 of the pt2399 on the pt80.
the delay ground goes to T1 on the delay (not too sure about this, thought that T1 was ground for the original delay time pot)
    if this isnt correct, i assume i just ground that by any ordinary means?

everything else is pretty self explainatory.

anyone see any mistakes let me know ok?
thanks!

mhartington

so i got the taptation built up and wired up correctly but instead of giveing me control of the delay time, i kinda have a slap back effect and the modulation is quite unclean and unusable. the tempo input does not work and the delay time pot does not work either, i am at a loss. any one have any idea?