NEW PRODUCT: Taptation Tap Tempo controller

Started by aron, August 09, 2010, 03:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tone God

Well theres not much to go on with that information. What are the LEDs doing ? Other then check your wiring again I can't suggest anything.

Andrew

mhartington

i know its not much information but i cant for the life of me figure out how to resolve the issue. The LEDS do not blink but are one constantly.

The Tone God

Ok. Strip the circuit down to just the power supply, LEDs, the scale tempo switch (set it to ground the input), and the delay pot connections. Come back with voltage readings measured with a DMM.

Andrew

ppatchmods

Take the switch to ground. I had the same problem using the vero layout. I omitted the half time switch and the modulation. I wasn't getting good ground until I took the switch connection from pin 14 to ground.
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

au_loki

Sorry I haven't got back to you earlier but make sure you check the earth connection as per the previous poster suggested, especially as the earth runs around the various switches etc. All the best.
Later au_loki.

Moonibopper

Can anyone advise me on what the voltage readings for the taptation pins and the pins of the 5v regulator should be? (I'm using the stripboard layout with all the switches "Taptation Delay + PWM Rev B") THANKS

mhartington

great news, the taptation works now. I rebuilt it using a different layout unfortunately, but it does work. Only thing that seems to be odd is that the time pot on the taptation doesnt actually control the delay time, rather the depth knob does. and the PWM ( which to my understanding, that could be wrong, is supposed to be modulation in the delay) doesnt seem to do anything. Any suggestions?

au_loki

Hey, make sure that you 5v on pin 1 and GND on pin 14. I tried saving room on the vero layout by not running the GND direct to pin 14. To save some heartache you can put a wire from GND to the track feeding pin 14.
Later au_loki.

ppatchmods

the regulator on the strip layout looks like a 78L05 but it is a 7805 which has the opposite pinout. The top pin should read the amount of voltage you are putting in, the middle lug is ground, the bottom should be around 5 volts.

Moonibopper

Issue with the tempo scale input...

When I put the SPDT to the center (off position) there is a constant high pitched sound in the background... any suggestions?

The Tone God

Quote from: mhartington on February 14, 2011, 02:04:28 AM
great news, the taptation works now. I rebuilt it using a different layout unfortunately, but it does work. Only thing that seems to be odd is that the time pot on the taptation doesnt actually control the delay time, rather the depth knob does. and the PWM ( which to my understanding, that could be wrong, is supposed to be modulation in the delay) doesnt seem to do anything. Any suggestions?

With modulation depth set to minimum, off that is, does the time pot still control the delay time ?

Make sure you are using 5v for everything related to the TapTation. 9v should not go anywhere near the TapTation circuit.

Quote from: Moonibopper on February 14, 2011, 11:54:14 PM

When I put the SPDT to the center (off position) there is a constant high pitched sound in the background... any suggestions?

Does this happen with any other other positions ? Do you have the 100k resistor on the center pole of the switch ?

Andrew

Moonibopper

No, just the middle position. Yes, I have the 100K resistor soldered from the middle pole to the outside pole as shown in the stripboard layout.

Quote from: The Tone God on February 15, 2011, 02:58:34 AM
Quote from: mhartington on February 14, 2011, 02:04:28 AM

With modulation depth set to minimum, off that is, does the time pot still control the delay time ?

Make sure you are using 5v for everything related to the TapTation. 9v should not go anywhere near the TapTation circuit.

Quote from: Moonibopper on February 14, 2011, 11:54:14 PM

Does this happen with any other other positions ? Do you have the 100k resistor on the center pole of the switch ?

Andrew

The Tone God

Quote from: Moonibopper on February 15, 2011, 10:02:27 AM
No, just the middle position. Yes, I have the 100K resistor soldered from the middle pole to the outside pole as shown in the stripboard layout.

Is the scale tempo LED changing values randomly ? You might need to decrease the 100K resistor.

Andrew

Moonibopper

How would one hook up this taptation to the Rebote 2.5 layout at http://solderman.fatabur.se/CopyCat/Copy%20Cat%20Project.pdf ? Do I need to omit R7?

ppatchmods

Yes. Omit the 1k. The delay time pot will connect to the digital pot on the taptation layout.

Moonibopper

Nope, the LED is not changing randomly. Any other ideas?

Quote from: The Tone God on February 16, 2011, 05:50:50 AM

Is the scale tempo LED changing values randomly ? You might need to decrease the 100K resistor.

Andrew

ppatchmods

Quote from: Moonibopper on February 17, 2011, 09:58:10 AM

Andrew
Which layout are you using? I had some issues with the tempo scale also. I used the vero. Did you cut any of the other features out like the modulation and half tempo switch? Make sure pin 14 is grounded good and check the solder connections on the tap chip. I was getting all kinds of screwy things going on.

Moonibopper

By checking ground, just making sure with multimeter beeps when touching pin 14 and ground right?

Ground is good... maybe I'm being too picky... the sound i hear in the middle position is very faint. I have to not play the guitar. Listen closely to background noise when the switch is down. Then switch it to middle position to hear. It's more like a high pitched faint hum. Anyone else hear this? If so, then I won't worry as much.

Quote from: ppatchmods on February 17, 2011, 10:51:12 AM
Quote from: Moonibopper on February 17, 2011, 09:58:10 AM

Andrew
Which layout are you using? I had some issues with the tempo scale also. I used the vero. Did you cut any of the other features out like the modulation and half tempo switch? Make sure pin 14 is grounded good and check the solder connections on the tap chip. I was getting all kinds of screwy things going on.

ppatchmods

had a similar issue and checked the solder joints on the tap chip and also that the solder joints weren't touching the case or anything metal

The Tone God

Does the pitch of this hum change with the tempo setting ? How is the wiring of the switch in relation to any audio signal lines ?

Andrew