NEW PRODUCT: Taptation Tap Tempo controller

Started by aron, August 09, 2010, 03:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonibopper

Is it possible to hook up the taptation to a Maxon AD 80 for tap tempo?

ppatchmods

When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

Moonibopper

Hooked up the rebote 2.5 delay to the taptation stripboard layout (with all the switches.) The tempo lights don't come on, and I don't hear the rebote delay when the pedal is on. Question. The 78L05 in the rebote reads 5V. The 78L05 on the taptation layout reads 7V. Could that be the reason?

The Tone God

Quote from: Moonibopper on February 26, 2011, 11:08:00 PM
Question. The 78L05 in the rebote reads 5V. The 78L05 on the taptation layout reads 7V. Could that be the reason?

Thats not good! It should definitely read 5V. Pull the IC out and check your wiring, pinouts, then voltages again.

Andrew

Moonibopper

Replaced the 7805 and all the voltages are good. The taptation portion responds well to all the switches. But I don't get any sound with the pedal engaged. Are there any other modifications that need to be made to the layout at http://solderman.fatabur.se/CopyCat/Copy%20Cat%20Project.pdf other than taking out R7?

Moonibopper

Also FYI... I'm using a 100K pot instead of a 25K pot for the modulation level on the layout (didn't have a 25k pot) but I'm assuming that wouldn't change anything right?

Quote from: Moonibopper on February 27, 2011, 03:50:38 PM
Replaced the 7805 and all the voltages are good. The taptation portion responds well to all the switches. But I don't get any sound with the pedal engaged. Are there any other modifications that need to be made to the layout at http://solderman.fatabur.se/CopyCat/Copy%20Cat%20Project.pdf other than taking out R7?

Moonibopper

One more thing. I know the IC's are good. I have previously built unit that works great. I swapped all the IC chips into that one, and everything still works fine. So the chips are not the issue.

Moonibopper

So with the help of an audio probe, I was able to get my rebote 2.5 to work.

But now, the taptation is not doing its job. All the pots work, and the leds will light up with each press of the momentary footswitch, but the unit doesn't "remember" the new delay time.

Any takers?

ppatchmods

check you ground to your tap switch & pin 14 of the taptation

Moonibopper

Thanks. I checked and they have good connection. Any other ideas?

Quote from: ppatchmods on March 01, 2011, 12:00:55 PM
check you ground to your tap switch & pin 14 of the taptation

ppatchmods

make sure you get ground to the delay time pot as well. also check the solder joints on the taptation. i had the same problem and those 2 things solved it.

Moonibopper

All grounds are intact. When the momentary footswitch is pressed, the multimeter beeps very clearly with the probes touching lug 2 and 14 of the taptation. All lugs of the taptation are soldered nicely. The multimeter beeps very clearly with the probes touching each lug and each track on the stripboard.

Any other suggestions?

Quote from: ppatchmods on March 01, 2011, 03:09:58 PM
make sure you get ground to the delay time pot as well. also check the solder joints on the taptation. i had the same problem and those 2 things solved it.

Moonibopper

One thing I noticed about the way the two LEDs behave when tapping the switch is this:

On the unit that works (PT80 + taptation) one LED shuts off, while the other remains on during the taps - when the taps are finished, both LEDs will start blinking again at the new rate.

On this unit that's giving me trouble (Rebote 2.5 + taptation) both LEDs will blink together which each tap inputted.

Does that help with the troubleshooting in anyway?

ppatchmods

i was having the same problem and i tried several elementary things so bare with me. have you tried taking the tap chip out and putting it back in? make sure the pins are touching the right socket pins.

Moonibopper

No, not at all! I am very appreciative. You're the one that's responding trying to help.

Yeah, the tap chip was taken out. And actually tested in the PT-80/taptation unit I have, and worked fine. I also made sure that each lug, is making good contact with each pin, and that each pin is soldered well into each track using a multimeter.

I'm happy with the help you're giving. Of course, I'll be even happier when we finally get it to work.

Quote from: ppatchmods on March 02, 2011, 10:32:23 AM
i was having the same problem and i tried several elementary things so bare with me. have you tried taking the tap chip out and putting it back in? make sure the pins are touching the right socket pins.

ppatchmods

are you using all the features? modulation? and you are using the full version vero?

Moonibopper

I am using "Taptation Rev B" layout pictured at the bottom of page 3 of this thread. It's the one with all the features. CAVEAT: My modulation potentiometer is 100k, not 25k due to availability. That shouldn't matter though right? I also thought the LEDs were extremely bright so I used 2.2K resistors for all three LEDs (the T/B LED and taptation LEDs.)

Quote from: ppatchmods on March 02, 2011, 12:38:57 PM
are you using all the features? modulation? and you are using the full version vero?

ppatchmods

did you add the 100k on the tempo scale switch?

Moonibopper

RicoRokkaRolla

Would somebody be so kind as to send me a layout with 78L05 and a ready-to -transfer pcb with 78L05 and all options? Will be there any opportunities to controll my diy pulsar tremolo with my taptation equipped diy rebote 2.5 delay's tap tempo at the same time? Really thanks, all the best!