NEW PRODUCT: Taptation Tap Tempo controller

Started by aron, August 09, 2010, 03:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tone God

I kinda keep beating this drum but the problem with accuracy is not really as much the TapTation but the PT2399. Its not accurate to begin with. The TapTation is just a good enough solution. I do have an idea to increase the accuracy but it will never be dead on. Its pretty much impossible without side effects which would be intolerable for most.

The other drum I keep beating is why do people really need that accurate of delay ? It not like you will notice the slight off count when you keep feeding it fresh notes. Unless you are doing dozens of repeats the offset will not build up to noticeable levels. And most players when then enter a time are still off for the actual tempo. GIGO.

Andrew

Barcode80

Quote from: The Tone God on September 28, 2011, 02:24:46 AM
I kinda keep beating this drum but the problem with accuracy is not really as much the TapTation but the PT2399. Its not accurate to begin with. The TapTation is just a good enough solution. I do have an idea to increase the accuracy but it will never be dead on. Its pretty much impossible without side effects which would be intolerable for most.

The other drum I keep beating is why do people really need that accurate of delay ? It not like you will notice the slight off count when you keep feeding it fresh notes. Unless you are doing dozens of repeats the offset will not build up to noticeable levels. And most players when then enter a time are still off for the actual tempo. GIGO.

Andrew

^---THIS

norim_13

Is there any new layout from anybody?
If not, this one is good, right?

Thanks

monkeyxx

sorry I can't find this anywhere... what does the "tempo scale" switch do on this chip?

I'm interested in adding it to my rebote-based build

The Tone God

Quote from: monkeyxx on October 21, 2011, 12:44:52 AM
sorry I can't find this anywhere... what does the "tempo scale" switch do on this chip?

It is explained in the datasheet. It selects the tempo division (i.e. quarter, eighth, dotted eighth. etc.)

Andrew

monkeyxx

Barcode80

Quote from: norim_13 on September 29, 2011, 03:05:21 PM
Is there any new layout from anybody?
If not, this one is good, right?

Thanks

sorry, I've got a functional PCB layout, I just keep forgetting to post it. I'll try to get it on here when I get home.

jvanginkel

I LOVE my Taptation controlled Fab Echo. I housed it in a box I had laying around, so its not attractive but I really like the sound. The Modulation circuit is very nice and shimmery on the high speed as well. I also made a jack so that I can connect the momentary from this to the momentary for my Tap Tempo Tremolo from musicpcb and control the pulse of both of them at the same time! Its so convenient. Thank you Aron, Tonegod and all the people who helped me troubleshoot even though they didn't know it. I used the Rev. B Vero layout rom au_loki which made it so easy. I made a quick youtube video of the pedal walking through the features.

Joel

RonaldB

Hello,
I have a Taptation controller to for my PT80 echo. Works great but I have one wierd problem.
The delay time goes way of to reverb times (really short delay). I goes like this.

1. I tap in my delay time.
2. That's stable at lets say 380 ms for sometimes minutes and sometimes a couple of seconds.
3. Then i see the tempo speed LED go faster and faster and i hear a pitch bend in my playing.
4. The delay time now is way of and is now lets say 10ms.

What's the problem here?

RonaldB

Ps. other than that it's a great product.

The Tone God

Quote from: RonaldB on December 05, 2011, 12:31:51 AM
Hello,
I have a Taptation controller to for my PT80 echo. Works great but I have one wierd problem.
The delay time goes way of to reverb times (really short delay). I goes like this.

1. I tap in my delay time.
2. That's stable at lets say 380 ms for sometimes minutes and sometimes a couple of seconds.
3. Then i see the tempo speed LED go faster and faster and i hear a pitch bend in my playing.
4. The delay time now is way of and is now lets say 10ms.

What's the problem here?

Are you tapping in the time or using the delay pot ? Can you monitor your voltage supply while this is happening to see if the voltage supply is changing during this cycle ?

Andrew

RonaldB

Iám using both, I isolated one problem.
I had the tap tempo switch been triggerd by a 2N3904 combo (as mentioned in the TAPLFO2 doc by electric druid) for external triggering.
But the wires from the 2N3904 to the board where to long (500mm) so i think i got some jitter on the line. Because i have about 8 effects in one housing.

So the tap tempo now is stable. The only other thing now occuring is that i have the taptation set to dotted8 notes.
That's stable and i play that for a while, but then suddenly the rate changes to 1/4 notes. I will have to check the wiring for that.
Is that possible that the MCP44100 needs to be more close to the PT2399? Becaus now it is about 13cm away from the chip.

thanks for the replay, i will monitor my power supply when playing with the taptation.

RonaldB

served

The Tone God

Quote from: RonaldB on December 07, 2011, 03:29:48 AM
So the tap tempo now is stable. The only other thing now occuring is that i have the taptation set to dotted8 notes.
That's stable and i play that for a while, but then suddenly the rate changes to 1/4 notes. I will have to check the wiring for that.
Is that possible that the MCP44100 needs to be more close to the PT2399? Becaus now it is about 13cm away from the chip.

Well the length will affect the accuracy but it should not have anything to do with the sudden switching between time division. I would suggest adjusting the 100K resistor connected to the division selecting switch.

Quote from: served on December 07, 2011, 10:40:49 AM
Can taptempo handle tremulous lune?

The TapTation offers a triangle LFO but it is not intended to control a stock temulous lune.

Andrew

RonaldB

Quote from: The Tone God on December 08, 2011, 01:00:46 AM
Quote from: RonaldB on December 07, 2011, 03:29:48 AM

Well the length will affect the accuracy but it should not have anything to do with the sudden switching between time division. I would suggest adjusting the 100K resistor connected to the division selecting switch.

Andrew

I tried this with a higher value, 150K but still now luck, The taptation goes crazzy after a few minuts.
I Think I will rebuilt the PCB again and change the location to. Maybe I made an error somewhere.
I tried the Taptation on a breadboard today and i worked fine.
So it should work oke in my pedal to.

RonaldB

RonaldB

I tried the taptation outside of my multifx box and now it works fine.
I think i have so jitter on the ground wires so the taptation picks that up on the tap tempo input.
I think i will put the taptation with my PT80 delay in a new stompbox.

RonaldB

RonaldB

Problem solved, I put the taptaion in a dedicated box and now it works fine. ;D

jaw13nz

So is there an up to date how to for this?
Or a PCB version that just goes straight into a pedal?
I bought a new cheap Joyo digital delay just to do this sort of thing.

Thanks guys!!

Gaetano Capuano

Quote from: jvanginkel on November 23, 2011, 08:04:51 PM
I LOVE my Taptation controlled Fab Echo. I housed it in a box I had laying around, so its not attractive but I really like the sound. The Modulation circuit is very nice and shimmery on the high speed as well. I also made a jack so that I can connect the momentary from this to the momentary for my Tap Tempo Tremolo from musicpcb and control the pulse of both of them at the same time! Its so convenient. Thank you Aron, Tonegod and all the people who helped me troubleshoot even though they didn't know it. I used the Rev. B Vero layout rom au_loki which made it so easy. I made a quick youtube video of the pedal walking through the features.

Joel
Dude, lets see that video? And any one else done the fab echo taptation mod?

The Tone God

Quote from: Gaetano Capuano on January 18, 2012, 09:45:27 AM
Dude, lets see that video? And any one else done the fab echo taptation mod?

The original video seems to be gone but here is one from his channel with the completed build.

Andrew

Barcode80

Quote from: jaw13nz on December 21, 2011, 06:22:11 AM
So is there an up to date how to for this?
Or a PCB version that just goes straight into a pedal?
I bought a new cheap Joyo digital delay just to do this sort of thing.

Thanks guys!!

there isn't a hand-holding step by step "how to" but there is a PCB layout earlier in the thread. buy the kit, etch the board, wire it in. Pretty straight forward, all the connections are detailed in the documentation.