NEW PRODUCT: Taptation Tap Tempo controller

Started by aron, August 09, 2010, 03:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonibopper

Where can I buy more taptation kits!?!?!?!?

MelodiusMaximus

I noticed that too.  I was about to order a few and can't find them now?

R O Tiree

...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Moonibopper

So I built this on the veroboard layout hooked to a rebote 2.5. Audio works perfectly. But when the adapter is first plugged in the less blink extremely fast. Only with turning the time pot fully clockwise and waiting for a minute do the leds calm down and then I can use the time pot as normal with leds behaving normally. Again even with the leds acting this way, the audio does exactly what its supposed to. Help?
[/quote]

Moonibopper

Im using bright 5mm leds with 1k each. Maybe there's too much current draw and I need to increase the resistors? Hello...... anyone out there?

Moonibopper

Finally got it to work! Resoldered the time pot along with its resistor and capacitor. It is unbelievable how sensitive this thing is to good solder joints and joints being separate from one another.

Use a fresh solder iron tip as well as acetone prepared board from the start!

Moonibopper

Damn it! It's doing it again! Is there a bad capacitor??? It's almost like the pedal has to "warm up" before the LEDS blink correctly.

aron

Is this a regulated adapter? I wonder if it's some sort of power issue?

Moonibopper

Its a 9v boss adapter. I thought those were ok with this circuit.

aron

I doubt whatever problem you are having is due to a "bad chip". I can send you another to try if you want. Did you verify these conditions?

Power Supply
A clean stable power supply delivering between 2.4V and 5.5V is required for
operation. In addition to power supply filtering a 0.1uF capacitor should be
mounted as close as possible to the TapTation's Vcc / GND pins. A ceramic
capacitor is sufficient for this function.
If the controller is going to be used with a PT2399 based circuit then it is likely
the same power supply for the PT2399 can also be used to power the TapTation
controller but attention should paid to make sure the power supply can handle
the extra current loads of the TapTation controller, digital potentiometer, and any
other loads like LEDs.

Moonibopper

Yep! I read those sections from the pdf's many times...

The Tone God

Sorry for the slow reply. It was the Canadian Day long weekend here so I wasn't around.

Just doing a quick run through your messages and the first thing I would try changing is the 1uF cap you have on the delay time pot input network. That value seems to be very high and could almost turn the filter network into a voltage delay since the input pin pulls almost no current. Drop the cap value down. To further test measure the voltage at the TapTation pin's input while change the pot value and see how fast it responds. I'm betting it will be slow thus the tap time will change slowly.

Andrew

Moonibopper

I was wondering if someone could keep me strategies to prevent the "clicking" with the tempo LEDs from happening. I've attached a video to show you what I mean (turn your volume up to hear the clicking.) These are non-clear yellow and green 3mm LEDs with 1K resistors each. The power supply is 9V 250mA from Voodoo Labs Power Plus 2.

Moonibopper

artifus

more generally referred to as 'ticking' which is why your search query may not have brought up much. maybe try 'deticking' for more results. i would start by increasing those resistor values.

Moonibopper

Thanks for the reply. How far up would you go with the resistor values before you say, "This is not working... I need to try something else." Would going up to 4.7K be enough for each LED?

I also forgot to mention that the rebote 2.5 and taptation circuit in the pedal are from a shared 9V source.

artifus

should only effect led brightness. they will get dimmer as you increase the value.

*also* a large cap, at least 100uf, across the power supply input if not already present, assuming that both circuits already have their own. if not, add them.

visualdistortion

Hi friends, I've buyed the taptation kit few weeks ago, and I've used it with the Deep Blue Delay and the vero from IvIark
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.fr/2012/03/pt2399-tap-tempo-daughterboard.html

It sounds great, but I've a little problem from the Tempo Scale switch! When it's on Off position (center) I can hear a big noise (on ground?) when I use my Ernie Ball Volume wired before it... BUT the delay is OFF/BYPASS! Very strange things. I think two of the three positions of this switch make noise or kind of "click".

Thanks for your help, and excuse me for my bad english.

Marcvv

Quote from: artifus on July 21, 2012, 11:19:43 PM
should only effect led brightness. they will get dimmer as you increase the value.

*also* a large cap, at least 100uf, across the power supply input if not already present, assuming that both circuits already have their own. if not, add them.

Just as a reference for other builds:
I got ticking from the leds (I had to turn up my amp quite a bit) when I switched the power supply of my PT80 with taptation from an isolated multi outlet power supply to a 1-spot with daisy chains.
A 100uf across the power supply of the taptation and a 100R resistor in series with the power supply solved the ticking. I can now use it with no problems with both power supplies.