Three posts up  ;)

I tried buying it before I posted and they were unavailable.  :icon_sad:

jkokura

Quote from: scalefreak on December 28, 2012, 03:02:08 AM
Quote from: Marcvv on December 28, 2012, 02:48:38 AM
Three posts up  ;)

I tried buying it before I posted and they were unavailable.  :icon_sad:

They will be back in stock shortly!

I'm also working on an implementation document, showing how to combine the Taptation with many of the popular DIY Delays available.

Jacob

jkokura

I just wanted to note that Taptation boards, all three of them, and the JMK Modular Delay are now in stock and selling at www.jmkpcbs.com.

Jacob

Chris oej

Hi,

I've wired the taptation up to an Echo Base I'm building - the Echo Base was working fine, until i put in the taptation board. I bought the pcb from the the below link:

http://www.jmkpcbs.com/JMK_PCBs/Store_files/%20Mini%20Taptation.pdf

With the taptation wired in, the delay has just got really slow. The delay pot and tap do nothing. The LED does nothing. I accidentally made a bridge between the 9v input to the board and the pin 6 input. The taptation board started working although there was no delay signal. After releasing the bridge the delay was at the new tempo. I measured the voltage of the voltage regulator (78L05) and it's only giving 2.3v. Should it not be closer to 5v?

I'm really baffled as to what the problem is. Am i right in thinking that the momentary switch for the tap should be open and the beat of the tap is the closing of the switch?

Thanks for all the help.

ainokami

has anyone encountered the following problem? in my build, it seems to take a few seconds before the tempo change takes effect.

jkokura

Quote from: ainokami on March 16, 2013, 02:50:38 AM
has anyone encountered the following problem? in my build, it seems to take a few seconds before the tempo change takes effect.

I'd call it about a second. And yes, that's normal.

Jacob

jasonsguild

Has anyone had luck with using a MCP42100 with the Taptation on a dual pt2399 delay?  I gave it a go on my breadboard, but it seems that the digital pot is stuck at the mid level delay setting.  The tempo switch and delay pot are both controlling the Taptation correctly (based on the tempo led), but are not changing the length of the actual delay.  My guess is that I'm doing something wrong with the shutdown & reset pins on the MCP42100 (should reset be at 5v and shutdown be grounded?).  Any tips or insight? ???

Thanks,

J
Jason D

The Tone God

Quote from: jasonsguild on April 17, 2013, 09:51:17 AM
Has anyone had luck with using a MCP42100 with the Taptation on a dual pt2399 delay?  I gave it a go on my breadboard, but it seems that the digital pot is stuck at the mid level delay setting.  The tempo switch and delay pot are both controlling the Taptation correctly (based on the tempo led), but are not changing the length of the actual delay.  My guess is that I'm doing something wrong with the shutdown & reset pins on the MCP42100 (should reset be at 5v and shutdown be grounded?).  Any tips or insight? ???

Subbing a MCP42100 will not work because the communication protocol used by the MCP41100 is slightly different then the MCP42100. You would have better luck using two MCP41100 and wiring their three communication pins (pins 1, 2, and 3) in parallel. Still its not a sure way to do things but it would atleast it would start to work.

Andrew

thevintagesound

Is there a way to shorten the delay time that the taptation takes to kick in? I am trying it out with a PT-80 board from GGG. Everything works just fine just trying to shorten up the reaction time.

The Tone God

Quote from: thevintagesound on June 03, 2013, 04:21:46 PM
Is there a way to shorten the delay time that the taptation takes to kick in? I am trying it out with a PT-80 board from GGG. Everything works just fine just trying to shorten up the reaction time.

No or atleast not without modifying the software. The reason for the delay is the TapTation is waiting to see if anymore taps are coming. If no taps come within the maximum delay time it then applies the average of the taps entered as the new delay setting. When developing I did try to change the delay time on the fly but when doing that the pitch shift caused by changing the delay time made the sound very unnerving. The max timeout was the best option as it offered the least obtrusive changing cycle.

This may change in the next version though. ;)

Andrew

theroan

I want build a tap tempo switch to control multiple devices. As far as I know this is a simple build, but to have an LED track your tapping is another story. Any know how this could be done, I know that I'll need a micro controller hence why I posted here.

mistahead

Uh - yeah - you are posting in a thread about a kit for just a thing that is sold to support the community...

Perhaps an attempt at reading here before posting here, where here is literally a thread of the topic you have opened.

Chris oej

Is it possible to fit a Taptation to an EA Tremolo?

http://beavisaudio.com/bboard/projects/bbp_EATremolo.pdf

Maybe some tweeking and tuning will be in order, but in theory it seems to me like it could work.

YouAre

Quote from: Chris oej on August 03, 2013, 07:13:56 AM
Is it possible to fit a Taptation to an EA Tremolo?

http://beavisaudio.com/bboard/projects/bbp_EATremolo.pdf

Maybe some tweeking and tuning will be in order, but in theory it seems to me like it could work.

Are you talking about using the modulation portion of the taptation to control the JFET in the EA Tremolo?

I'm sure it could, but why would you want to use the taptation for that? Are you incorporating tremolo into your delay design?

Chris oej

No, I just want to control the speed of the tremolo with a tap control. Essentially replace the speed potentiometer with a taptation circuit. I was wondering if anyone's used a taptation circuit for anything other than PT2399 based effects and how they modified it to do so.

YouAre

Quote from: Chris oej on August 03, 2013, 01:01:54 PM
No, I just want to control the speed of the tremolo with a tap control. Essentially replace the speed potentiometer with a taptation circuit. I was wondering if anyone's used a taptation circuit for anything other than PT2399 based effects and how they modified it to do so.

Seems like a bit of a waste of the taptation. There is a dedicated tap tempo tremolo out there.

Www.musicpcb.com

The tap tempo tremolo on that site is op amp based, but can be retrofitted onto the EA tremolo rather easily, I presume. It will likely end up a bit cheaper.

I'm sure others have made the EA tremolo with photocells before. Once you find that, replace the photocell in that project with the photocell from the tap tempo tremolo and you're set!

The Tone God

You can't replace the pot in another LFO with the TapTation. It is specific to the PT2399. You can use the TapTation's PWM output to replace the LFO in something like a tremolo or phaser. In some cases you may need to rebias the signal so fit the circuits needs. That was one of the original reasons I added the PWM output as the tap tempo chip was not availible and I wanted to offer that function to DIYers. I was going to write an app note for that function but there are other options now.

Andrew

space_ryerson

Quote from: The Tone God on August 09, 2013, 03:37:24 PM
You can't replace the pot in another LFO with the TapTation. It is specific to the PT2399. You can use the TapTation's PWM output to replace the LFO in something like a tremolo or phaser. In some cases you may need to rebias the signal so fit the circuits needs. That was one of the original reasons I added the PWM output as the tap tempo chip was not availible and I wanted to offer that function to DIYers. I was going to write an app note for that function but there are other options now.

Andrew
I'd be interested in that app note! Ironically, I was just putting together a delay circuit with the TapTation, and was thinking of adding synced tremolo in the same box. My plan was to have the TapTation PWM output drive a LED, and use the LDR/amp section of the Tremulus Lune for the tremolo effect.

mugenzi

I'm looking for a way to control a Pigtronix Tremvelope pedal, which has an expression pedal input, but using a tap tempo footswitch to set time instead. Would the Taptation do that, attached to a tap footswitch? Thanks.