"Little Angel" - Super Simple PT2399 Mini Chorus

Started by frequencycentral, August 09, 2010, 08:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: jfrabat on January 06, 2017, 01:06:27 PM
Quote from: EBK on January 06, 2017, 11:14:28 AM
Could you post a pic of the jacks (I/O and DC) and stomp switch?

Sure, I will post them tonight.  But I am pretty sure the problem is not there, because I get the bypass signal just fine and when I activate the effect, the dry signal goes through (if I lift the resistor, the dry signal goes away).  I will post them anyway, though, just in case.
I understand what you are saying.  The thing that prompts me to ask is that, from my understanding, you are having the same or similar problems despite swapping out whole boards and tons of parts. 

Occasionally, "pretty sure the problem is not there," is the reason we don't find the problem.  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

jfrabat

Quote from: EBK on January 06, 2017, 01:31:42 PM
Occasionally, "pretty sure the problem is not there," is the reason we don't find the problem.  :icon_wink:

Good point!

Here are the other pictures.  Mind you, there is no DC jack (yet).

Felipe
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

jfrabat

OK, I was checking my resistors; found one inconsistency (I think; can you please verify?):

R1: 100K (OK)
R2: 4.1K (NOT REALLY USED)
R3: 10K (OK)
R4: 10K (OK)
R5: 10K (OK)
R6: 10K (OK)
R7: 33K (OK)
R8: 68K (OK)
R9: 10K (OK)
R10: 10K (OK)
R11: 10K (OK)
R12: 100 (OK)
R13: 2.2K (OK)
R14: 220K (OK)
R15: 4.1K (SHOULD BE 4.7k; AM I READING THIS RIGHT?  COULD THIS BE THE CAUSE?)
R16: 220K (OK)
R17: 100K (OK)
R18: 47K (OK)
R19: 10K (OK)
R20: 10K (OK)
R21: 1M (OK)
R22: 330K (OK)
R13: 10K (OK)
R14: 470K (OK)
R15: 1M (OK)

Can you guys confirm if R15 is really wrong?  Could it be the cause of my problems?
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

bluebunny

Are these two "4.1K"s measured (out of circuit) or eyeballed?  (FYI, 4.1K isn't a value in E12, nor yet in E24.)  Either way, they shouldn't make any noticeable difference.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

jfrabat

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER

jfrabat

Is it worth it redoing everything off board?  New pots and jacks and switch?  I got enough to do it...

bluebunny

What's connected to the stereo output jack?  If you're using it to switch on the power, then I'd expect to see the black lead from the battery connected to the ring lug (and to nowhere else).  It's a bit difficult to see what's going on.  Perhaps you could take a picture where we see everything: board, pots, jacks, switch?
  • SUPPORTER

jfrabat

I think I am going to redo everything today.  I have a better quality  wire, pots and stereo jack now, so might as well get the good ones in to match the awesome board I got.  So even if the error is not there, there will be better quality compone ts used.

jfrabat

jfrabat

By the way, I noticed I am out of 500K pots...  So no can do on the remake (I could rewire, though).

jfrabat

maiko

Ive been following on this for a long time and am sorry you havent gotten
this to work. 

But . . . for me most of the cases were solve by simple obvious things. 

You probably already have  ..  . but i would ask again are you sure your in and out
is not backward.   i mean maybe your plugging your guitar and amp on the wrong ends
have you tried this?

Also i notice you solder your pots on the base.  Ive tried this and everytime
the pot is damaged thats why i wont solder there anymore.

jfrabat

Quote from: maiko on January 11, 2017, 12:44:15 AM
i would ask again are you sure your in and out
is not backward.   i mean maybe your plugging your guitar and amp on the wrong ends
have you tried this?

Yup.  I double checked, and I am connecting the right way in.  Notice that I use different type of connectors, so it is easy to tell them apart...

Quote from: maiko on January 11, 2017, 12:44:15 AM
Also i notice you solder your pots on the base.  Ive tried this and everytime
the pot is damaged thats why i wont solder there anymore.

I checked the pots a few replies back, and they were both OK.  I was planning on changing them, but I am out of 500K pots...  I may just change the 100K one, though, as I still got some of those (don't remember if I got them in B or C, though).

Perrow

Are you sure you've used the right pads for the pots?
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

jfrabat

Orange and Green are in the middle position, so yeah...  If the white wire was on backwards, the pods would be backwards, but it would work...

jfrabat

I decided to put new pots in, and try without a stomp switch (wiring the board directly to the jacks) and see how it goes.  I took everything off the board last night, and will start soldering everything together tonight.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

maiko

I was just about to suggest taking the switch out just direct in and out

jfrabat

Decided on a movie night with the wife instead, so no progress today!

jfrabat

OK, tried bypassing the stomp switch.  Used new pots also.  No change.  Same issue; the dry signal gets through, but the wet signal is nowhere to be found.  Used new PT (a fresh one I got from Smallbear), new TL072 (replacing the TL082 I had in, just to be sure that was not the issue), but we have no change whatsoever.  Here are the pics of how it stands (notice that the OpAmp changes in one of them).  If you can spot anything going on, please pointed out to me. 

This is getting VERY frustrating!  out of the 5 pedals I have worked on, one works flawlesly, one works, but I do not like the sound, this one dows not work, the EA Tremolo does not work, and the Vulcan Rat worked, but then something happened and it stopped working (I have yet to dive into that one to figure out why; I am sure it is something as simple as a broken wire).  I cant be THAT much of a crappy DIYer!

Could it be the ceramic caps?  I read somewhere that they are not that great...  What else could it be?  Voltages are the same as last time I posted them:

PT2399:
Pin 1      5.03V
Pin 2      2.51V
Pin 3      0V
Pin 4      0V
Pin 5      2.93V
Pin 6      2.42V
Pin 7      0.683V
Pin 8      0.696V
Pin 9 through 16    2.51V (Some movement when you first connected)

TL082
Pin 1      4.55V
Pin 2      4.55V
Pin 3      4.41V
Pin 4      0V
Pin 5      2.86 to 2.94V
Pin 6      3.00 to 3.04V
Pin 7      2.75 to 3.30V
Pin 8      9.04V

78L05
Vin      9.03V
Gnd     0V
Vout    5.03V

2N3904
C          2.42V
B          0.447V
E          0V