"Little Angel" - Super Simple PT2399 Mini Chorus

Started by frequencycentral, August 09, 2010, 08:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: radio on August 26, 2010, 11:04:18 AM
Hi

I m at work too(but in Central Europe). I just "open with" PAINT , did a "resize" to 50%.

I printed out and mesured,seems to be ok with 2.54 mm distance from hole to hole.

Regards Jean-Marie

Jean-Marie,

Thanks. I took your advice and used Paint. I resized to about 47% and it works great.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Govmnt_Lacky

I appreciate everyones help and I can't wait to get started on this little beauty. I have one more question:

Are there any FINAL decisions on the size of the Speed and Depth pots? I have read through the thread but I still do not see any definitive values yet.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

frequencycentral

AFAIC it's 100k lin for Speed and 470k lin for Depth. That's how I liked it. Purrrrrrrr......

Pigyboy

Hi Rick,
How about running this at 12-18v for more headroom like the Analogman Chorus?
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

markeebee

Sorry, Rick is unable to answer. He's too busy scratching the furniture and licking his bum.

Pigyboy

Quote from: markeebee on August 27, 2010, 02:14:11 AM
Sorry, Rick is unable to answer. He's too busy scratching the furniture and licking his bum.

Dude, that is funny.
                                                            - FANG

anchovie

Quote from: Pigyboy on August 27, 2010, 01:37:10 AM
Hi Rick,

It won't give you any more headroom in the PT2399 as that's running off regulated 5V regardless.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Pigyboy

Quote from: anchovie on August 27, 2010, 05:19:59 AM
Quote from: Pigyboy on August 27, 2010, 01:37:10 AM
Hi Rick,

It won't give you any more headroom in the PT2399 as that's running off regulated 5V regardless.
Hmm,  That is what I was afraid of. Can anyone who has built this give it a go really loud though a bass set up and report if it loses much in the low end.
                                                            - FANG

culturejam

Quote from: Pigyboy on August 27, 2010, 05:30:03 AM
Can anyone who has built this give it a go really loud though a bass set up and report if it loses much in the low end.

Someone earlier in the thread used it with bass and commented on the low end response. Start reading on page 4/5 and you should eventually find it.

Earthscum

Aye. I've used it at 2 shows. For bass, you want to increase the delay a little bit for sure. I like the 5k pot, but already had the 10k installed.

For bass, once you find that perfect setting for you, you go from flat to gigantic godly overtones!

I used a TL072, hence the 100k pot in place of the 470k. I haven't un-ductaped my pedal to pop in an NE yet, so can't report on that. I rode my bike to the store to buy parts, came home and had it boxed and working and ready in 5 hours, with only an hour to spare before we had to be at the bar. Used it in an outdoor setting at the last one, and it is awesome. If you are outdoors, you can increase the depth a bit more without busting through over the top of the guitars.

And, lastly... absolutely no bass cut! I breadboarded mine with .022's in the audio paths, but I built it with all stock parts plus my mods to box up. I have a "super-fat" DS-1 that is basically my big OD. It increases the bass without destroying too much of the punch, still has the DS-1 grit, but bigger. This goes in front of my LA, and I only get the most minor bass cut out of it, which actually just seems to add to the overall tonal qualities.

Of all the things I tried, the ONLY one necessary for bass is the delay mod. Just a 5k pot. I wired mine so I could (next build) use the stock jumper pads from the layout. I just used a DIP strip on this one, but kept mods simple to work with the stock PCB.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

Pigyboy

Thanks for the info Earthscum. I am gonna make some boards today and give it a go. This one is going to friend who is playing to 1000-5000 people a night so we will how the Angel does on a big stage. I have a good feeling about it.
Thanks again and a big thanks to Rick
I will report back soon but I still need to order parts :P
                                                            - FANG

Valoosj

Quote from: frequencycentral on August 14, 2010, 06:50:23 PM
.....and the PCB apparently will fit in a 1590A! This might well be my excuse to try my hand at a 1590A build. solderman? danielzink? valoosj?

Seems I noticed this a bit late, but I might still make a layout, once the dust settles, as Dan said.

Quote from: culturejam on August 15, 2010, 11:39:43 AM
My first test will be to add a variable delay time control, a switch to go from 50/50 to "wetter" mix, and a feedback adjust switch. I doubt all that will fit in a 1590a, but you guys who work with those often surprise me.

I think we even surprise ourselves at times, when finally cramming something in a very tight enclosure.

Oh btw Rick, the flanger pcb will probably be made in the following weeks, since the workload for my studies will not be so huge in the following 3 weeks, so I might be able to make some pedals as well! But first I need to make some layouts and etch the suckers.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

p_wats

Hmm, I also used a TL072 in my perf attempt without changing any other components. Could that be contributing to my lack of effect?

Govmnt_Lacky

Sounds like resolution is needed on the great Little Angel Op amp/potentiometer debate....

Will it be the TL072 with a 100K or.... the 5532 with the 470/500K????

The debate rages on... ::)

earthtonesaudio

I don't see any reason to prefer the NE5532 in this circuit, other than the fact that it's already been verified.  However, if you do want to swap op-amps, the input resistance of the NE5532 is so low that a TL072 is not really a direct replacement.  You'll need to reduce the gain of the audio part and mess with the impedances in the LFO part to make the performance the same with a TL072.

waltk

Here's my "Little Blue Angel".  Worked the first time (with no debugging).  No parts substitutions.  Sounds great.
Thanks Rick!

frequencycentral

^^^^  :icon_biggrin:

Hey that's the 1590A layout! You gonna squeeze it in?  ;)

Of course we want photos and soundclips.......

waltk

QuoteHey that's the 1590A layout! You gonna squeeze it in?

Don't have a 1590A box at the moment, but I do have another smallish box that should be a nice snug fit.  Pictures to follow later...

Rick - I etched some extra boards.  PM me with your mailing address if you want one.

culturejam

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 30, 2010, 10:34:41 AM
Sounds like resolution is needed on the great Little Angel Op amp/potentiometer debate....

Will it be the TL072 with a 100K or.... the 5532 with the 470/500K????

I've tried different op amps, and it does change the shape of the waveform slightly from chip to chip. So it will be a personal choice, I think.

Haven't tried the 100K pot.

Quote from: waltk on August 30, 2010, 12:34:38 PM
Here's my "Little Blue Angel".  Worked the first time (with no debugging).  No parts substitutions.

Nice looking work, Walt!