"Little Angel" - Super Simple PT2399 Mini Chorus

Started by frequencycentral, August 09, 2010, 08:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brymus

Has there been a list of proven mods made yet ?
I am about to BB this,I was hoping some tweaks would have been added by now.
Is there a Deluxe Angel yet or is it still the Little Angel ?
Been off the net for a week or so,so I havent been keeping up  :icon_redface:
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

frequencycentral

Quote from: Brymus on September 01, 2010, 07:44:57 PM

"Archangel" is around a month or so away. Let me clear my bench..... ;D
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Brymus

Quote from: frequencycentral on September 01, 2010, 07:51:45 PM
Quote from: Brymus on September 01, 2010, 07:44:57 PM

"Archangel" is around a month or so away. Let me clear my bench..... ;D
sweetness !!!
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

joethugs

waltk

QuoteOf course we want photos and soundclips.......

I did a little rework to make my board a little shorter.  It's in the box (which is still undecorated) with all the standard gear - led, power jack, etc.  Not quite as small as a 1590A, but still fairly compact.  The PT3299 draws a bit of current, so I expect the power jack will be a necessity.  The depth pot (B500K for mine) is only useful in the top 20% of the range, so I'll need to tweak something to give a better range (suggestions?)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: waltk on September 01, 2010, 11:57:27 PM
The depth pot (B500K for mine) is only useful in the top 20% of the range, so I'll need to tweak something to give a better range (suggestions?)

Have you tried a C500K? Maybe that will give you more usable range.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

waltk

QuoteHave you tried a C500K? Maybe that will give you more usable range.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't have any reverse audio taper pots on hand, but was thinking I could just reduce the pot value to B100K - that would be equivalent to the top 20% of the 500K pot.

Govmnt_Lacky

Sorry... I must have been mistaken. I thought you meant the top 20% of your pot to be the top 20% of the resistance being from 400-500K. Using a Reverse Audio pot would have "smoothed out" that last 100K of resistance over a larger part of the pot rotation.

Did you mean to say that you only get use of the INITIAL 20% of the pot rotation?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

waltk

QuoteDid you mean to say that you only get use of the INITIAL 20% of the pot rotation?

Nope.  The last 20% of clockwise rotation is the useful bit.  Remember, the pot is only wired with lugs 2 and 3 (its a stright variable resistor), so as you turn the pot clockwise, the resistance falls to 0.  So if you replace the 500K pot with a 100K pot, the full rotation would have exactly the same effect as the last 20% of the 500K pot.

frequencycentral

Thanks to Pigyboy! Haven't had chance to hook it up yet, and I've only just ordered the 1590A.......

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: waltk on September 02, 2010, 12:44:40 PM
Nope.  The last 20% of clockwise rotation is the useful bit.  Remember, the pot is only wired with lugs 2 and 3 (its a stright variable resistor), so as you turn the pot clockwise, the resistance falls to 0.  So if you replace the 500K pot with a 100K pot, the full rotation would have exactly the same effect as the last 20% of the 500K pot.

Thanks for the clarification.  ;D

clamup1

hey two things:
1. i put both ics in backward. is one or both fried.
2. do you ground the jacks to each other and then ground to the box.

this was the biggest solder job to date. thanks its was a blast

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: clamup1 on September 02, 2010, 02:08:32 PM
hey two things:

this was the biggest solder job to date. thanks its was a blast

Hey...two responses..

1) May be... May not be. Odds are that they are OK but only a voltage/operational check will know for sure.
2) You can ground everything however you like as long as you ground everything that needs grounding and have NO ground loops. Remember to ground the SLEEVES of the jacks to each other (and to the other grounds). Refer to JD's site GGG as a resource. I use it religiously for offboard wiring.

Good Luck!

frequencycentral

The dual opamp is fried. The PT2399 probably survived.

Yup, and to the DC socket's ground. And to the board's ground: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/

Electron Tornado

Quote from: waltk on August 30, 2010, 12:34:38 PM
Here's my "Little Blue Angel".  Worked the first time (with no debugging).  No parts substitutions.  Sounds great.
Thanks Rick!

Where did you find the blue PCB material?
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

clamup1

i hope the op amp isnt fried. if i test it and put some numbers up can you guys tell me if its fried? or am i not going to get anything if its fried? i have a 3pdt in another pedal i might steal and use the schems you guys recomend. thanks for the help

Pigyboy

Quote from: frequencycentral on September 02, 2010, 12:50:09 PM
Thanks to Pigyboy! Haven't had chance to hook it up yet, and I've only just ordered the 1590A.......

Looks nice Rick. Glad to help out.
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

frequencycentral

Quote from: Pigyboy on September 03, 2010, 04:55:54 AM
Quote from: frequencycentral on September 02, 2010, 12:50:09 PM

Looks nice Rick. Glad to help out.

I'll hook it to the breadboard for testing it later this morning, thanks again.

frequencycentral

Re. Depth pot value debate:

The more minimum settings shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. Take away (most of) the modulation and you've got automatic double tracking, which we don't seem to talk about much around here. ADT has the effect of thickening the sound as if two people were playing the same part in unison. You might not notice the thickening until you bypass it - then your sound will seem thin and weedy by comparison!  :D  Process your vocalist through the Little Angel at minimum settings - he/she/it will love you forever.

slacker

Quote from: clamup1 on September 02, 2010, 09:33:21 PM
i hope the op amp isnt fried.

Unfortunately, if you connected it backwards, then it's dead.