"Little Angel" - Super Simple PT2399 Mini Chorus

Started by frequencycentral, August 09, 2010, 08:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perrow

Have just looked at it, not really checked anything, but the value seems to be missing from the "Level" pot (in the BOM).

(and there seems to be an awful lot of white space, it'll never fit a 1590A  ;))
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

p_wats

Hey guys,

Any chance someone's got a working perf layout for this? I tried, but something's not right...I'll probably just grab a PCB from the guitarpcb.com sale, but It would be cool to be able to perf it too...

GodSaveMetal

In Perú there are no standar cases for FX you must make yours!!!!! I make the cases for tree dimencions: 10x12x5 cm; 8x12x5cm and 15x12x5cm These are the standar for me!!!!! when I finaly made the pedal I post the interior and the made of these mod for your pleasure!!!!! OK I forgot to put the value of this pot an here is the new layout; please a look ofr another error!!! tnaks a lot!:

frequencycentral

Quote from: p_wats on December 10, 2010, 03:14:43 PM
Hey guys,

Any chance someone's got a working perf layout for this? I tried, but something's not right...I'll probably just grab a PCB from the guitarpcb.com sale, but It would be cool to be able to perf it too...

A PCB layout IS a perf layout too.   ;)   Many of the PCB layouts I have posted I have actually built on perf.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Perrow

Quote from: GodSaveMetal on December 10, 2010, 03:15:47 PM
In Perú there are no standar cases for FX you must make yours!!!!! I make the cases for tree dimencions: 10x12x5 cm; 8x12x5cm and 15x12x5cm These are the standar for me!!!!! when I finaly made the pedal I post the interior and the made of these mod for your pleasure!!!!!

No offence meant. Would be lovely to see a enclosure building tutorial, I can get the materials, just don't know how to make them. Well searched the forum a bit and found links to two articles, more always welcome :)

ps. Documented the links on my enclosure tutorial page on my wiki.

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

meffcio

Quote from: GodSaveMetal on December 10, 2010, 03:15:47 PM
In Perú there are no standar cases for FX you must make yours!!!!! I make the cases for tree dimencions: 10x12x5 cm; 8x12x5cm and 15x12x5cm These are the standar for me!!!!! when I finaly made the pedal I post the interior and the made of these mod for your pleasure!!!!! OK I forgot to put the value of this pot an here is the new layout; please a look ofr another error!!! tnaks a lot!:

I may be wrong, but I see no sense in those long traces leading to Speed pot. And not only them. But well, I'm not an expert, and I didn't create a single layout myself. Just wanted to share thoughts.

p_wats

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 10, 2010, 03:34:32 PM
Quote from: p_wats on December 10, 2010, 03:14:43 PM
Hey guys,

A PCB layout IS a perf layout too.   ;)   Many of the PCB layouts I have posted I have actually built on perf.

Yeah, I'm usually able to work with the PCB, but the dual opamp is throwing me off here. That latest PCB layout (with the mods) is a bit easier to wrap my head around, so maybe I'll try that.

Perrow

Quote from: meffcio on December 10, 2010, 05:09:17 PM
I may be wrong, but I see no sense in those long traces leading to Speed pot. And not only them. But well, I'm not an expert, and I didn't create a single layout myself. Just wanted to share thoughts.

Yeah, as I look at it a little more, there's really a lot of lost space on that one. Move things around just a little in the top two rows and make them one. Remove the extra (ground loop inducing) ground connection (out -) and you save a column. Getting a little creative on that left side should allow you to get rid of another column.

At the bottom there's a lot of traces just to get the speed and depth connections up close. Feels unnecessary as other pot connections are all over the place (more or less). You could remove at least one row there.

But I'm just a compact design loving guy  :)

T-Flex

This was a fun build - sounds cool.  But i am a bit baffled as to why all my pin readings look good with the exception of pin 6 of the 2399 which is reading 2.2v.  This seems a bit high.  Any guesses as to why this might be?  I am running 9v directly to the +Vcc of the 5532 instead of 5v but it is rated for much higher so i dont think this would be a problem.
Thanks
It's more fun to compute.

frequencycentral

IIR 2.2v at pin 6 sounds about right assuming R1 has a value of 1K, but too high if R1 has a value of 100R. I think the voltage at pin 6 is entirely dependent on the value of R1.  Not sure what you mean about running 9v directly to the +Vcc of the 5532 instead of 5v, as this is how the circuit was designed in the first place.

frequencycentral

Here's another (unverifed) layout, with onboard pots, designed to fit in a 1590B. You can either buy board mount pots, or solder resistor legs or solid core to standard pots. There should be space to 'lay down' all the electro caps so they don't foul the pots which will overhang the PCB. A LED resistor is included on the board. A few components have moved here and there. I've also change a few values: R1 is now 1K instead of 100R as some folks were finding the PT2399 locking up with the lower value; C1 and C3 are 0.1uF instead of 0.01uF. I've performed these changes to my Little Angel, 1K is cool with me, and (unless I'm imagining it) there's a little less hiss with the caps values. Finally, Slade built a Little Angel recently and used rev log pots, which he reported gave a nice even taper. I'd recommend the layout is checked against the schematic before etching/building as I am only human.

x3mgrifter

has the latest pcb of little angel been verified yet?

askwho69

"To live is to die"

Valoosj

Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Renegadrian

Finally built it!!! I used the vero you can find at page 19 or HERE. Yeah I should have finished mine before, then this one came up so I just used that!
I really like the LA!!! Simple but charming, you cannot stop those arpeggios!!!
Also I made a simple DELAY MOD - just a 1k res from pin 6 that goes to a 25-50k linear pot (I guess 25 is the best value, but I have none of them handy ATM) at pin 1, pin 2 and 3 to ground. So when pot is at its min it's stock, else It can be a nice "slapback" fx or a good short delay, try like "every breath you take" with it!!! I love it!!! Gotta box it up!!! And try it with my bass too!!!
Thank you Rick!!!  ;D
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Renegadrian

Now I have a 20k linear for the delay - it works better than the 50k. Also subbed the 500k pot for a 100k as someone suggested. Now it would be fun to add a speed LED. How can it be added?!

frequencycentral

Hi Adriano, glad you like it. To add a rate LED, tap off from the output of the LFO opamp (via  resistor, 1k maybe). On the vero layout you used, that would be pin 7 of IC1. (On my PCB layouts it would be pin 2 of IC2).

dylar

Quick question:
I built a Little Angel using the vero layout http://www.sabrodesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Little-Angel.gif and it worked fine for a minute, but then it stopped working altogether.
The only deviation I made from the original design was to use a 1n4007 diode instead of a 1n4001. Don't think this should matter, but maybe?
Voltages check out on the PT2399 except pin 5, which reads much lower than it should (about .5v instead of the 2.6 or so that it should be).
I have no idea what happened. Any guesses?

Renegadrian

The diode is not mandatory, it's just for polarity protection - as you can see, it is just between positive and negative. maybe you put it backwards!? You can just get rid of it, it has no relation to the sound path.
I used that layout too - just a couple of changes like R5 position and so on, but yeah it should work - check 7805 orientation, and voltage at pin 5 (I got 4.9V from mine)

BoxOfSnoo

Quote from: dylar on January 20, 2011, 02:18:50 AM
Quick question:
I built a Little Angel using the vero layout http://www.sabrodesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Little-Angel.gif and it worked fine for a minute, but then it stopped working altogether.
The only deviation I made from the original design was to use a 1n4007 diode instead of a 1n4001. Don't think this should matter, but maybe?
Voltages check out on the PT2399 except pin 5, which reads much lower than it should (about .5v instead of the 2.6 or so that it should be).
I have no idea what happened. Any guesses?

You're possibly locking up the PT2399.  Note the layout just above - R1 is 1K and R8 on your layout is 100R.  Raise R8 (on your layout) to 1K.

Another quick test is to kill the power for a couple of seconds and then try again.  If it comes back then that's your problem.
My Dropbox referral link - bonus 250MB of space for both of us if you use it