Author Topic: NPN Boost Sound Clip  (Read 8827 times)

Doug H

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« on: September 30, 2003, 09:04:45 AM »
I thought it might be helpful to post a sound clip of my NPN Boost, so you would have an idea of what it would do when you finish the project. I installed a "range control" on mine. It allows it to be voiced from a thin treble boost to a fat tone.

Here is the schematic:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/dbhammond/range.gif

If you would like this feature, just install this network in place of the 47u capacitor connected to the gain pot wiper in Aron's schematic.

I think a booster sounds best when it is driving a tube amp that already has a little dirt (distortion) on it. They were originally used with amps that didn't develop a lot of distortion on their own. In the clip I started with my Firefly on 50%- a little distortion but not much. The booster "firms up" the tone and adds more gain. The range control adds a lot of flexibility to the kinds of sounds you can get.

Here is a text file that describes the clip:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/dbhammond/NPN_Boost_Text

Here is the clip:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/dbhammond/NPN_Boost.mp3

Doug

B Tremblay

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 10:40:52 AM »
RunoffGroove also has a clip of the NPN Boost, recorded by Gary Burchett: http://runoffgroove.com/npnboost.mp3

The clip is dry guitar, then low boost, then high.

The recording setup was Strat - effect - reverb - Bulldog Cab Sim - sound card.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

aron

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 03:07:13 PM »
I need to locate my built NPN Boost again, but what I remember was that mine really cranked up and actually became sustainy and mellow when cranked up.

It was cool, super hi-fidelity when lower gain (due to impedance), then more mellow and sustainy when you turned the gain up.

Mike Nichting

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 07:32:40 PM »
That sounds great Aron~!!
 I am very interested in building this project~!!

Mike nichting
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

aron

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2003, 01:35:54 AM »
Doug,

I'm a little confused with your schematic mod.

So what you are doing is basically changing the 47uF to .68uF and blending in 1uF in parallel right?

If so, ok, this will be an easy mod with no changes on the board.

Doug H

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2003, 12:08:08 PM »
Quote from: aron
Doug,

I'm a little confused with your schematic mod.

So what you are doing is basically changing the 47uF to .68uF and blending in 1uF in parallel right?

If so, ok, this will be an easy mod with no changes on the board.

That's correct, Aron.

Doug

stefandavis

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2003, 05:46:38 AM »
Hi guys,

I only have a valvestate 100W hybrid tranny, will this project still sound pretty good? I'm thinking of jumping on to advance my skills!

Cheers

aron

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 02:20:15 PM »
Yes it will work fine. Everyone can use a booster!

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 02:31:26 AM »
Hi Aron, How do I buildt the range control? do I just put evertything together and let it hang from the pot.
I remember the golden rule, and i know it will work, but will it not break easily?
What fet do you recommend for the millenium bypass? is the mill2 better than the 1? the 1 seems a lot easier..
What do you use to hold the board inside the box? I sure could use a clear and slow explanation on how to populate a box and how to drill it.
Thanks again.

aron

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 06:06:28 AM »
Quote from: sometimes_called_green
Hi Aron, How do I buildt the range control? do I just put evertything together and let it hang from the pot.
I remember the golden rule, and i know it will work, but will it not break easily?

Yes, you connect it on the pot. Let me know if you have questions about this. I can draw up a picture if you need help.

The box gives the circuit stability. Once it's boxed, no problem.

>What fet do you recommend for the millenium bypass? is the mill2 better than the 1? the 1 seems a lot easier..

I have used the mill. 1 with no problems. I never needed to try the 2. I used an MPF102 and J201 with success.

>What do you use to hold the board inside the box? I sure could use a clear and slow explanation on how to populate a box and how to drill it.

I use velcro like R.G. mentioned in his guitar effects FAQ. Other people have used standoffs.

I will work on the box instructions. It's pretty easy. R.G.'s FAQ goes through box issues.

Bill_F

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 06:41:26 AM »
Yes, you connect it on the pot. Let me know if you have questions about this. I can draw up a picture if you need help.

If it's not to much trouble I would like to see a picture of how to do this.

Thanks,
Bill

PeterJ

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2003, 04:57:53 PM »
I'd like to see how the range control works, too -- I'm getting ready to put this together and the range control sounds like a very useful option.

Also, on Gus' original drawing, he wrote that you could add a volume pot by replacing one of the resistors. Is this a worthwhile addition?
Thanks,
Peter
Duct tape and particle board!

aron

NPN Boost Sound Clip
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2003, 04:54:19 PM »
Also, on Gus' original drawing, he wrote that you could add a volume pot by replacing one of the resistors. Is this a worthwhile

That's weird. I was just thinking if it was worth it to try and to this.

I will work on these two things. There might be distortion here soon.  :)