Author Topic: How do I wire an input jack to turn the power off when unplugged  (Read 9246 times)

lil PopTart kid

I know this is really a noobiwh question. ;D But no matter how much I think about it I can't figure out how to wire the three prong 1/4 inch mono jack to turn the circuit off.  I'm probably gonna say duh right when someone posts how.

aron

mth5044

Re: How do I wire an input jack to turn the power off when unplugged
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:41:26 AM »
Like Aron posted, the negative supply is attached to the ring, so when there is no plug in the jack, the negative supply is just floating around on the ring. When a cable is plugged in, the ring prong gets connected to the ground prong by the sleeve because patch cables usually don't have a ring on them, so both prongs will rub up against the sleeve, creating a connection between negative and ground! Or atleast that was how I understand it. 

lil PopTart kid

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:16:21 AM »
Is that a stereo jack :o???
Because Im using one of these... :P
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=88
And I couldn't figure it out because when you plug it in with that jack it
disconnects the tab from the tip :icon_eek:. I understand how you would
do it with a stereo though.  Out of all the pedals I have made
I never put that on because I didn't understand how you
would do it with that kind of jack I was always ordering from
small bear.

mth5044

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:29:59 AM »
Yes, a stereo switch is what you will need. That is a strange looking jack you have there. Small bear carries a few different kinds of stereo jacks. If you are using this wiring method to conserve battery, you may rather use a battery switch instead of a jack to do it. I hate plugging and unplugging the cable everytime to save battery, but if you just wire it up to a toggle, you can still play through the pedal with and not have the battery being drained.

KazooMan

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:03:09 PM »
The jack you have is one that is designed to short the tip contact to ground when there is no plug inserted.  As was stated, you need a stereo jack in combination with a mono plug for switching.