Computer recording interface

Started by lil PopTart kid, August 10, 2010, 12:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lil PopTart kid

My friend is always recording songs on his home computer.  He was looking for a USB interface to make life easier.  He wants a midi input. An xlr input, and a 1/4 inch mono input.  I don't even know where to start?  I could probably find out how to wire the xlr and 1/4" to the USB .  However, I don't even know where to start with the midi section.  Any tips advice resources on this project?

jasperoosthoek

You cannot wire an XLR and jack plug to the USB port, you need some kind of interface.

You could consider the Desktop Konnekt 6 from TC Electronics: http://www.tcelectronic.com/desktopkonnekt6.asp You need a firewire interface though but I've heard quite a lot of good stuff about it and seems to have all features you need. It might be over your budget if you are looking for a quick solution. But with TC you get a real quality product. Excellent mic preamp, dedicated guitar input, very good analog to digital converters.
[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com

Scruffie

Edit... nevermind, no XLR

lil PopTart kid

Well I know you need some kind of interface.  Thats what im looking to make ;D
And do you know anything about hooking up the midi to usb

Hides-His-Eyes

It'd be so much cheaper and easier to buy one; they're getting really cheap and good.

lil PopTart kid

Can someone direct me to the cheapest one that has midi xlr and 1/4 inch? ;D

jasperoosthoek

lil PopTart kid

Ha the point is I was looking for one that has all three so I can plug everything in.

jasperoosthoek

How much money is your friend willing to spend? What's the quality he expects: professional or merely being able to record. Does it need to be new?

Those are questions he needs to sort out before buying. Check google for 'audio interface'.

lil PopTart kid

I really don't think he cares if it is new he just wants one for home recording and probably 40 max

Hides-His-Eyes

40USD? Not happening I'm afraid, unless these things are loads cheaper in the US.

wavley

The Lexicon Alpha is $70 and it comes with Cubase LE, but no MIDI.  A usb MIDI interface isn't very expensive.  $40 max is kinda asking a lot considering the technology involved.  Radio Shack has an XLR to USB for $22.99, the impedance matching transformer is like another $15 for 1/4", still no MIDI and no software.

The Alpha is a really good option, look at it this way, $70 is less than half of what I paid for my first cassette 4 track and it was used!  Of course that was 20 years ago, but look at how cheap recording technology has gotten, I consider $70 for digital recording, mixing, and processing a MIRACLE!
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

FiveseveN

What would he be using the XLR input for? Are you sure he really needs it?
A lot of interfaces come with XLR+TRS combo connectors and a lot come with one or more built-in mic preamps. Does he want to plug a microphone straight in? In that case he needs an interface with mic input (preamp), which is usually XLR. Otherwise just get an adapter if the interface only has TRS (or maybe RCA) inputs.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?