Help with Boss CE-2 project

Started by Benford Guitars, August 21, 2010, 12:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benford Guitars

I finishing up my first ever pedal project. Ive taken the guts of a Boss CE-2 and transplanted it into a VOX Wah case. The pedal now operating the speed control. I drilled a hole in the side of the pedal to mount the depth. Everything turned out great with only one issue. Whether the effect is engaged or not there is a audible clicking occuring. The click rate increases depending on the pedal position. Again, it doesnt matter if the effect is on or off. The click volume doesnt change either way.

There is one difference in my pedal than the original CE-2. My pot for the speed control is a 5meg. I used the pot left over from the WAH. Side note. The original WAH was all but destroyed in a Twinkie and milk fight. The case, click switch and pot were all that survived.

Anyway the original value of the CE-2 speed control was a 100KB. On a whim I swapped out the VOX 5meg for a 100KB. The clicking went away, but so did the effect. The pedal did nothing. I next tried a 500k guitar pot just for fun. The clicking came back as did the effect. The effect did not sound as good as it did with the 5 Meg however. For now, this pedal is running off a 9v only. I did not install or wire in the 9v power supply plug from the CE-2 as it was not working.

Any thoughts on what the clicking might be and how to resolve it? A friend said it sounding like a cap discharging. I politely shook my head and said COOL! Im not sure what that means, how to figure out if thats the issue, and then what to do about it.

Another side note. I am NOOB when it comes to this stuff. Ive got the bug to do more of these things. Its addicting!

Thanks!
Steve

jkokura

The clicking is likely clock noise, and probably means your chips isn't biased properly. I haven't looked it up persay, but in most cases you'll need to use a trimpot to dial in the bias better. How to do that will require a little research.

Jacob