Fuzz Face Humming Problem

Started by Ofek Deitch, June 14, 2013, 04:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ofek Deitch

They pretty much the same.. and they are both using BC109s.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Ofek Deitch on June 26, 2013, 04:33:36 PM
They pretty much the same.. and they are both using BC109s.

Must be something in the wiring then. I would guess a bad ground someplace, or a missed connection to ground.

GGBB

Quote from: Ofek Deitch on June 26, 2013, 04:11:17 PM
Yeah, when the volume on the guitar is all the way down, and the pre-gain is all the way up the hiss disappears, but as I turn the pre-gain CCW the hiss comes back and gets louder.

According to the vero layout diagram, the pre-gain control is wired backwards, so turning the control up lowers "gain."  So when you have it all the way "up" it is actually all the way down.  I had some RF noise with my BC108 fuzz (also had a pre-gain control) that went away when i lowered the pre-gain a bit, so I added a resistor between the input and the pre-gain control and that took care of it.  I used 3.3K, but you should use whatever value is just enough the get rid of the noise.
  • SUPPORTER

rousejeremy

Your offboard wiring is neat, but you should use different coloured wires for ground. From the pics you posted it would be impossible to tell if there was a wiring issue.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Paul Marossy

Quote from: rousejeremy on June 27, 2013, 10:24:18 AM
Your offboard wiring is neat, but you should use different coloured wires for ground. From the pics you posted it would be impossible to tell if there was a wiring issue.

I use about 4-5 different colors for everything I build these days. Just makes life easier...

rousejeremy

Agreed. Black ground, red power are a minimum requirement nowadays. It makes potential troubleshooting much easier for me, and whoever may have to look at the pedal in the future.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Hemmel

Quote from: rousejeremy on June 27, 2013, 10:36:36 AM
Black ground, red power are a minimum requirement nowadays.

Hasn't this been a requirement for a long time ??  ;)
I go further and use yellow for input, green for output and white for other connections such as jumpers.
Bââââ.