ROG Thor - how about the clean plexi sound?

Started by Rutger, August 17, 2010, 08:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rutger

Hi,

After struggling through my very first (Ruby) project I'm planning on building a second build. I'm really digging both clean and dirty Marshall Plexi style tones, and read nothing but good stuff about the runoffgroove Thor design. Most people use it for the dirt, but I wonder if there is some clean plexitone in there as well? And if there is, is it useable?

aziltz

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Rutger

Thanks, good to hear. Any thoughts about the caracter of the clean sound? What I like about the plexi is the fat, saturated, compressed clean sound just before it gets into overdrive. Is it like that? I now it's not tubes, but a sound that gives you that idea, I would like that :)

I'll take the DLS into consideration as well, a bit more difficult circuit though..

B Tremblay

It sounds good to me and others have liked it as well.  I suggest you try it yourself, because personal preferences vary wildly.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Slade

Quote from: Rutger on August 17, 2010, 11:07:02 AM
Thanks, good to hear. Any thoughts about the caracter of the clean sound? What I like about the plexi is the fat, saturated, compressed clean sound just before it gets into overdrive. Is it like that?
Yes, it is! A wonderful clean.. You may want to try the full tonestack version to have a wider clean range ;)

Rutger

That's what I wanted to hear!  :icon_mrgreen:

@Slade: on the ROG-site there's only a circuit with a tonestack for the Thunderchief. Where would you put the tonestack in the Thor?

Schappy

My Thor build lacked sustain. Anyone else have this problem?

I will have to go back and debug.

Rutger

One more question. How much gain does the Thor produce, can it act as a pre-amp? Or should I place another gainstage after the Thor, something like a mu-stage? I'll probably use the Thor as a pre-amp for a 50W ss amp.

doc_drop

Just to throw this out and make the water muddier...I've built almost all the ROG circuits. The one I prefer for clean tones is the original Supreaux.

http://www.runoffgroove.com/supreaux.html