Toner Transfer

Started by swinginguitar, August 19, 2010, 09:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinginguitar

What paper are you guys using for toner transfer? I see most of the tutorials show Staples branded paper, but I don't have access to Staples here. Is there something at Office Depot/Target/Best Buy that is known to work well?

So far I've tried several different things, including glossy magazine pages and I'm just not getting a good clean transfer - not sure if the medium is to blame or the operator ;-)

KazooMan

WHat brand of laser printer are you using?  Some (Brother) don't work well.

Maik

I do it with a Brother 1430 and paper from the magazine Spiegel. Works great...
Glossy paper doesn´t work for me. Try some magazine paper. But don´t make the iron too hot or ironing too long, cause the printed words will also go to the copper  ;D

swinginguitar

Quote from: Maik on August 19, 2010, 09:54:44 AM
I do it with a Brother 1430 and paper from the magazine Spiegel. Works great...
Glossy paper doesn´t work for me. Try some magazine paper. But don´t make the iron too hot or ironing too long, cause the printed words will also go to the copper  ;D

Using a Dell branded HP - floor standing (big) kind.

Yesterday I used the cover off of a tool catalog - got a pretty good transfer but some of the original ink came with it, and there are some spots where the toner didn't bond.

Sharpie touchup?

Mark Hammer

I keep telling people, it's not so much the brand or quality of paper that matters.  It's whether you can tell when you're "done" that matters most when it comes to paper.  It takes time to get a feel for the signs and omens of the type of paper you're working with.

My best advice is to make sure you print off multiple copies of any pattern, if you're working with glossy paper, to make sure you have some to practice with.  I generally cut out and assemble a collection of patterns that fit neatly onto an 8.5 x 11 space, and photocopy that.  I then cut out the patterns and save them in an envelope so they can subsequently be arranged to fit onto whatever pieces of copper clad board I have.