Univibe concerns

Started by Brossman, August 22, 2010, 12:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brossman

well, nvm about that...I guess I'm too quick to say "huh" and beg for explanation rather than figuring things out on my own...which I did :o so...I'm looking into price listings for all of the other goodies involved...

I plan to be very, hmm how shall I say...deliberate (?) in my movements in production of this...It's probably my favorite effect ever produced.  I really don't know what it is, but something about the woo-wee-woo-wee of a 'Vibe that just makes the guitar feel so lively...GAH!

All I'm sayin' is that I don't wanna screw this up...too badly :P
Gear: Epi Les Paul (archtop) w/ 490R in the neck, and SD '59N in the bridge; Silvertone 1484 w/ a WGS G15C

Still a tubey noobie. Been doing this a while, and still can't figure much out, smh.

R.G.

One of the huge advantages of building your own is that if you built it yourself, you're the best-prepared person in the world to fix it or enhance it.

So take heart from the idea that there is really very little you can do that is not fixable even if you do make a mistake. Every thought and every action you take toward completing the circuit not only goes into the effect, it goes into your head and your hands, and YOU get better as a result.

There is a phrase I remember seeing in the book "The Sensuous Gadgeteer" that stuck with me: the finished product is just the garbage of doing the work.
Even if the finished thing doesn't work at all, the worker is now in a position to do the (more) perfect thing. In the welding trade, for example, it's very much standard practice to do a few practice welds on the materials being welded before trying the actual production welds, just to get the feel of the material and how it responds. In machining or manufacturing, it's common to PLAN to throw away the first few articles made as "learner" items, to tweak the process in to being perfect.

By all means, plan, consider, and prepare. But don't think any mistakes are irreparable. They are - this is something that I rely on!  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Brossman

Well, schooling has taken to the forefront of my pedal endeavors.  However, this is still churning (or...burning...?) away through my head every day.

New Idea - taking a look at Roger Mayer Voodoo-Vibe, and another DIY project labeled "Tri-Vibe" (very VERY cool, btw), it seem possible to obtain a trem, as well as the standard chorus and Vibrato.

How can I potentially add this Tremolo to my 'Vibe? (I still havent constructed anything, let alone bought parts yet, so dont worry if its gonna totally overhaul everything... I havent forgotten any lessons i've learned here...)
Gear: Epi Les Paul (archtop) w/ 490R in the neck, and SD '59N in the bridge; Silvertone 1484 w/ a WGS G15C

Still a tubey noobie. Been doing this a while, and still can't figure much out, smh.

Brossman

Hey all,

I've been thinking about some more things I can implement into me design, since it's taking me so long to get everything together.  I have some new ideas, but more questions than answers...

I've decided to use 4p5t switch to change out some phase caps. Any recommendations for some values? I like the idea of 'Vibe, Phase 45/90, and something new :icon_twisted:

I've noticed that there are some diodes arranged after the dual speed control pot... I've no idea what's going on here (help?). How are these affecting the signal? (If so, mods?)

One more... I was wondering if it's possible to have 2 separate footswitches for bypassing...  I see it like this:

- include 'cancel' switch for when effect is engaged (as per Univibe)
- one 3pDt for true bypass of entire signal (regardless of 'cancel' position)
- there will be a separate (foot) unit for speed control (housing for the 'cancel' as per Univibe)

Thanks in advance,

- Britt

R.G.

Quote from: Brossman on January 23, 2011, 07:24:48 PM
Well, schooling has taken to the forefront of my pedal endeavors.  However, this is still churning (or...burning...?) away through my head every day.

New Idea - taking a look at Roger Mayer Voodoo-Vibe, and another DIY project labeled "Tri-Vibe" (very VERY cool, btw), it seem possible to obtain a trem, as well as the standard chorus and Vibrato.

How can I potentially add this Tremolo to my 'Vibe? (I still havent constructed anything, let alone bought parts yet, so dont worry if its gonna totally overhaul everything... I havent forgotten any lessons i've learned here...)
]
Look up the schematic for the RT-18, the univibe's predecessor.

Quote from: Brossman on February 16, 2011, 02:17:02 AM
I've noticed that there are some diodes arranged after the dual speed control pot... I've no idea what's going on here (help?).
Technology of the Univibe, http://www.geofex.com  Those limit the voltages across the LFO modulator generator.
How are these affecting the signal?
Not at all. They have no connection to the signal, other than keeping the LFO in bounds at all speeds.

Quote(If so, mods?)
We have noticed  chronic disease that pops up from time to time. We call it BUMS - Blind Urge to Mod Syndrome. One of the most obvious symptoms is someone asking for mods without having any idea what they want the mods to do. Collecting random mods is a good way to be back here saying " I built this and it worked great, and the I put on the hyperspace doppelganger mod and it won't pass audio any more..." If you don't know where you're going, any direction is as good as any other, and staying in one place is also equal to the other directions.

QuoteOne more... I was wondering if it's possible to have 2 separate footswitches for bypassing...  I see it like this:
- include 'cancel' switch for when effect is engaged (as per Univibe)
- one 3pDt for true bypass of entire signal (regardless of 'cancel' position)
- there will be a separate (foot) unit for speed control (housing for the 'cancel' as per Univibe)
Sure. That'll work.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

RedHouse

Quote from: R.G. on February 16, 2011, 02:53:58 PM
We have noticed  chronic disease that pops up from time to time. We call it BUMS - Blind Urge to Mod Syndrome. One of the most obvious symptoms is someone asking for mods without having any idea what they want the mods to do. Collecting random mods is a good way to be back here saying " I built this and it worked great, and the I put on the hyperspace doppelganger mod and it won't pass audio any more..." If you don't know where you're going, any direction is as good as any other, and staying in one place is also equal to the other directions.

Well said.

I'd like to add (if I may) it's most often the best plan to get a basic unit of whatever kind up-n-running, then worry about mods. Pre-emptive mod planning is good for daydreaming and such but without a basic, functioning unit, you really have no idea what/how the mods effected your effect.

Many want to jump-in to a fully modded state and can't figure out what went wrong, when something does go wrong.

Sorry to sound like a buzz-kill, but it will save you (and others) more time than you may realize.

jasperoosthoek

Modding should be reserved for the case where you want to change something specific because it doesn't work for you or you thick it can be done better in a certain way. Don't mod just for the sake of modding just to be different. Don't fix what ain't broke. Statistically, if all you do is random mods that the most likely outcome isn't a better pedal. Bright minds design the best they can.

I slightly disagree with R.G.'s road analogy. In case of modding stuff: If you don't know where you are going or why you are even moving then just stay put!

Or, just call it circuit bending cause that's what it is ;D.
[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com

Brossman

QuoteSure. That'll work.

Does the cancel switch still color the sound when engaged if the whole is not bypassed?  I like the slight tonal shift of this coloration, and I'd like it available to me, but not a permanent feature.

QuoteWe call it BUMS - Blind Urge to Mod Syndrome.
Quote...because it doesn't work for you or you thick it can be done better in a certain way. Don't mod just for the sake of modding just to be different.

I don't want to mod it to make it "better," nor is my approach *completely* blind.  As soon as I learn how different things work, I'd like to be able to change how they work, regardless of efficiency.  I am a tone freak through and through.  However, I am not 'searching' for something specific. Rather, I'd like to be able to let these sounds find me.  I enjoy swapping out components to hear the tonal shift - switches, knobs, assorted controllers - if I can change it and hear it, I might be able to find a use for it.

Though, regardless of how I feel, I will take a more careful approach.  I've enjoyed learning everything that has caused delays in my design and build.  I'm making a lot of mental progress thanks to all of you.  RedHouse, R.G., and Mark have been especially helpful, as well as the Geofex page.  And I cannot forget everybody else's two cents (or pence)... It's been a total mindflip. I'm having a lot of fun with this - c'mon, can't a guy dream?

jasperoosthoek

@Brossman

Modding for the sake of modding is stupid. As I said modding should be done with a specific plan in mind. Why is irrelevant to me. You clearly know what you are doing and are willing to learn. Also you know what you want. So mod all you want to get the sound YOU want ;D. I am in no position to tell people what to do and why. But I see that some people do dumb things to circuit or even worse to original vintage effects and instruments. It's their business but I'm allowed to call it stupid :).
[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com

Brossman

I've run into some problems laying this one out... turns out 2sc828's are ECB, and 2n5089's are EBC.  Can I just effectively use the same layout, just bend the leads around to the correct spot in the socket?  Should I then shield one of these leads?  I know his seems simple, but I hear tranny-pinouts give people more trouble than anything else...

RedHouse

yeeshkul

Just bend the legs, no isolation necessary - just make sure they don't touch.