Kind of OT, mic preamps

Started by vortex, September 30, 2003, 03:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortex

Here's a question for you. I am recording into my computer through a Echo Layla soundcard at +4 db. I am looking at buying mic preamps and they are pricey! I've seen a few preamp cards and they seem to have all the basic ingredients of a booster pedal. I'm thinking it would be cool to build a few myself, maybe a germanium vesion, FET etc.
I don't know where to start though, how do I adapt a pedal style booster to accept a balanced input and generate balanced out? I haven't had much success finding schematics online and the tube pre's are out of my league.
What do you think? Any comments appreciated!

Gus

Google neve fairchild pultec etc.

There is alot of stuff on the web.  try recording.org   in ther look for group DIY and tech talk  lots of good stuff

vortex

peterc

QuoteI don't know where to start though, how do I adapt a pedal style booster to accept a balanced input and generate balanced out? I haven't had much success finding schematics online and the tube pre's are out of my league.

Sounds like about as much work as building one of my Green  mic pres. These are a Rupert Neve design & are easy to do, no hard to find or expensive parts. Have a look 'ere :

1176neve.tripod.com

Regards
Peter