Small issue with the Keeley DS-1 ASE/Ultra Mod

Started by TheFantod, September 04, 2010, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFantod

Last weekend I tried building one. I had a problem with the modes. The new LED mounted next to the new switch (the ASE LED) would light up in both modes when playing. I got frustrated with it and ended up lifting off two of the trace pads and pretty much ruining the PCB.

So this weekend I tried again with another (cheap) DS-1. I'm getting the same result. The new LED lights up regardless of the switch position.

I've been using this "Instructable" as a guide: http://www.instructables.com/id/Modify-Your-Boss-DS-1/

I can hear a definite difference between the two modes, but the LED isn't supposed to light up in the ULTRA mode. I've triple checked all the connections and it's driving me crazy.

The only thing I haven't done is covered the exposed parts with heat shrink. I'm about to go out to Radio Shack to pick some up.

Any other ideas?

Tim

Electron Tornado

The LED in the "O" is supposed to light up in either switch position. Why not go to the source for the info to do the mods:

http://www.robertkeeley.com/audio6l6/dstech.html

In the Seeing Eye Mod, the LED in the "O" is the one put in place of one of the stock diodes. For the Ultra Mod, Keeley puts another LED in series with the remaining stock diode. If you like, you can drill two holes and mount both LEDs together.

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

TheFantod

Holy Cow, so you mean it's supposed to light up in both modes? Where in the world did I get that it's supposed to light up only in the ASE mode? ARRGHHH! I ruined a pedal last week because of my own stupidity!!!!

It actually makes sense now. As soon as I get my foot out of my mouth, I'll feel batter.

Thanks much!

Electron Tornado

Quote from: TheFantod on September 04, 2010, 03:46:26 PM
Holy Cow, so you mean it's supposed to light up in both modes? Where in the world did I get that it's supposed to light up only in the ASE mode? ARRGHHH! I ruined a pedal last week because of my own stupidity!!!!

Yes, it lights up in both positions.  :icon_idea: And it sounds like an opportunity to repair and then modify that pedal.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

starekase502

it shouldnt light up in both positions the switch adds that led,  the led left on the board should light up though

Electron Tornado

Quote from: starekase502 on September 04, 2010, 04:26:28 PM
it shouldnt light up in both positions the switch adds that led,  the led left on the board should light up though

If you do both the Seeing Eye and the Ultra mods, it depends on which LED you mount on the enclosure. Calling something a "seeing eye mod" sounds pointless without having a "seeing eye", so that's the one I mount in the "O" when I do the mods. Here's a quote from the link I posted above: "7/64 drill bit needed to drill out 3mm LED for the SEEING EYE PART!"

The seeing eye LED will light up in both switch positions.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

starekase502

oh yes true i remeber now i put the switchable one in the o  so i wouldnt forget which was on or off and then relised you can tell by the dramatic effect in tone

cheerfully withdrawn ;D