What else would you like to see PCB projects for?

Started by Taylor, September 05, 2010, 08:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

therecordingart

Quote from: Taylor on September 05, 2010, 10:52:34 PM
Quote from: therecordingart on September 05, 2010, 10:40:57 PM
The Randall RG100ES.

Ambitious, I like it. An amp would be an interesting change of pace. But probably not enough interest to make it cost-effective, sadly.

Not THAT ambitious...

http://www.schematicheaven.com/newamps/randall_rg100es-rg80es.pdf

I need to learn how to do layouts.

Skruffyhound

TZF Electric Mistress with MN3007 retrofit
You could check in with Dave (oldschoolanalog) and see if he got any further with the 3007 retrofit, I believe there could be quite some interest in this project.
Otherwise I'm very interested in Arnouds project, in fact I think I'll check in with him and see what the status is.
Oh and I wouldn't mind having a crack at some module from the synth world that could be adapted for guitar use. This is where a double sided, well ordered board would be a big help. I still haven't got double sided capabilities :icon_sad: I'm open to offers on what it could be, but something fun/different and relatively complex since your projects have been pretty easy to get up and running so far Taylor I don't think a higher parts count would scare too many people off.

Skruffyhound

Ok, so I just checked in again on the echorec thread, looks like Arnoud is busy.
Unless he is interested in a joint effort to get the monster finished, looks like we'll just have to wait.

Scruffie

Quote from: Skruffyhound on September 06, 2010, 03:00:44 PM
Ok, so I just checked in again on the echorec thread, looks like Arnoud is busy.
Unless he is interested in a joint effort to get the monster finished, looks like we'll just have to wait.
Yeah I think that'll be a way off, plus it's a pretty huge undertaking for alot of builders and he'll probably have his own PCB run done.

3 Votes for the TZF Flanger So Far... Go on Taylor, you know you wanna  :icon_mrgreen:

rousejeremy

I would love a clone of a B.K Butler Tube Driver that didn't have some problems.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

jkokura

I checked the FoxRox website out. Yes. Yes I want that. So make it so, number 1... engage.

Jacob

Taylor

Is there a specific TZF flanger design you guys would want? One that's already got a verified schem? It's a cool idea but I'm not too familiar with what flangers are out there as I've never made one.

Scruffie

Basically there's this module by Thomeeque http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=85977.0

Which you just combine with any MN3207/MN3007 Flanger really, i'd quite like the MXR M117, for which a schematic is here http://www.wizardinside.it/foto/schemi/flange.pdf
as I think it'd make a nicer sounding TZFlanger but it would also work fine with the electric mistress from this thread http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=78270.0

Then it's just down to good layout to avoid heterodyning clocks (hopefully not an issue though due to the raised Frequency from using MN3007s)

Taylor

Quote from: therecordingart on September 06, 2010, 08:59:53 AM
Not THAT ambitious...

http://www.schematicheaven.com/newamps/randall_rg100es-rg80es.pdf

I need to learn how to do layouts.

Right, it's not about parts count (I have done PCBs for things with more parts than that), it's more to do with the mains wiring, tranformer, high wattage resistors, etc. Projects like that scare off a lot of people, and when the number of people interested goes down, the price per board goes way up. If you do decide to do the layout, I will happily offer whatever help I can.

Skruffyhound

Ok, that was some good links. I totally missed Thomeque's thread because I was on holiday. Cool that got done.
I wasn't very familiar with the MXR M117, but thanks to youtube I can say that I think it sounds pretty good, and I'm happy to go that way if thats where the interest takes us.
I could see two battery holders on the production model and a look at the schem indicates it's running on 15 volts, so on board charge pump would be one of my requests.

Scruffie

Quote from: Skruffyhound on September 06, 2010, 04:34:47 PM
Ok, that was some good links. I totally missed Thomeque's thread because I was on holiday. Cool that got done.
I wasn't very familiar with the MXR M117, but thanks to youtube I can say that I think it sounds pretty good, and I'm happy to go that way if thats where the interest takes us.
I could see two battery holders on the production model and a look at the schem indicates it's running on 15 volts, so on board charge pump would be one of my requests.
It did get done yeah, although it's not been verified yet but i'm sure it wouldn't take long to verify the small module board.

Yeah it has a very nice sound, the Electric Mistress has a 'unique' sound but I think the M117 is more what most people think of when they think Flange (probably due to Eddie Van Halen) and is a bit thicker in the sweep sound so I think it'd give a nice swoosh at the TZF point.

Yeah the LT1054 charge pump on the A/DA was a great inclusion, definitley think we should add it if this goes ahead.

Skruffyhound

Is that schem for the MXR verified do you know?
I'm probably more into "unique" as it goes, but I'm willing to give this a go because it sounds pretty solid, and because we'd be doing something different again.

Scruffie

Quote from: Skruffyhound on September 06, 2010, 05:03:28 PM
Is that schem for the MXR verified do you know?
I'm probably more into "unique" as it goes, but I'm willing to give this a go because it sounds pretty solid, and because we'd be doing something different again.
Yup it is, it's Fender 3Ds schematic and he's built one and verified it, the chip used is an MN3007 equivalent by the way incase you thought you'd have to find a random chip.
It actually does get very unique at some settings but its base sound is solid as you say.

markeebee

Tonight I have drunk quite a lot of very nice rum. Seemed like a good idea until I googled "TZF flanger" and tried to understand all those words that people have written.

Anyone help me with a quick idiot's guide?

Taylor

TZF stands for through-zero flanging. The idea is that, the original "flanger" was 2 tape players, with the same audio running on both of them. You'd get the flanging by putting your finger on the flange of the tape reel, slowing down that reel slightly, and the 2 recordings slip past in each other in time. This creates cancellations at different frequencies at different times, producing the flanging sound heard on "Killer Queen", etc.

So, in that instance, both versions of the audio are pre-recorded, rather than being played real-time. Because of this, it's possible for either tape to be delayed behind the other, and here's where the "zero" point happens: when tape A is slightly ahead of tape B, and you slow down tape A so that B overtakes it, there is a tiny moment where everything is cancelled out, and I guess this has kind of an ecstatic, psychedelic effect on your brain.

To do this with a live instrument, you have to delay the "clean" signal a little, so that it's possible for the modulating signal to go from being behind your "clean" signal, to actually happening before it. So a pedal for TZF needs to have one short, fixed delay line, in addition to the modulated one.

Scruffie

Yup what Taylor said, it certainly does have an effect on the ears and brain that is quite 'ethreal'

Heard on The Small Faces - Itchycoo Park, you can hear the flanging goes through a point where the sound is not like normal flanging.

Here's a soundclip of the original SAD1024 TZF Electric Mistress by Marcusw (Where I stole the idea from  ;D) http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/wind_me_up.mp3

Skruffyhound

Quotethe chip used is an MN3007 equivalent
Thats good, I can always source new chips, but I've got nine 3007's looking for work. :icon_biggrin:

Skruffyhound

Hmmm Scarlett and Markeebee in the same thread, how unusual

Taylor

It's only because, in a thread, Scarlett can't run away.