What else would you like to see PCB projects for?

Started by Taylor, September 05, 2010, 08:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markeebee

Even if she was running away, I would still enjoy watching.

Thanks for the explanations. Makes perfect sense now, and I like the kinda organic quality of the sound. Never really been keen on flangers before, but the big kids have bullied me in to it.

Do it. Do it.

oldschoolanalog

Using an LT1054 on a TZF flanger will give you 3 high frequency clocks on the same board.
This is at best tempting fate. At worst it could be more whiny than an unhappy 10 yr. old girl (I should know; I have one). :D
Just a thought. I don't know. Don't & never will use charge pumps myself...
As far as a "base" flanger goes, my vote is for the EM. However, it needs a new layout. In fact it's begging for a new, more compact layout. One that has an output buffer (for the volume drop issue). And a carefully thought out component layout, ground planes, power rails & clock lines. Not to mention any other switchable mods deemed fit for the project.
The details:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=25380.msg166584#msg166584
Not exactly a casual undertaking. One that would be very much appreciated though. :icon_cool:
If you want a challenging project, this would qualify.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Scruffie

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 06, 2010, 07:14:07 PM
Using an LT1054 on a TZF flanger will give you 3 high frequency clocks on the same board.
This is at best tempting fate. At worst it could be more whiny than an unhappy 10 yr. old girl (I should know; I have one). :D
Just a thought. I don't know. Don't & never will use charge pumps myself...
As far as a "base" flanger goes, my vote is for the EM. However, it needs a new layout. In fact it's begging for a new, more compact layout. One that has an output buffer (for the volume drop issue). And a carefully thought out component layout, ground planes, power rails & clock lines. Not to mention any other switchable mods deemed fit for the project.
The details:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=25380.msg166584#msg166584
Not exactly a casual undertaking. One that would be very much appreciated though. :icon_cool:
If you want a challenging project, this would qualify.
Yeah I thought about the LT1054 after I said it, but then I thought... sod it, might aswell risk having it on the board as it's only a few parts and not everyone will use it.

I suppose the EM will be more likely to get verified with the add on aswell seeing as that's where the idea sprung from (especially if you fancy taking such a plunge  :icon_mrgreen: ) and also not require the added risk of an LT1054.

So Taylor... recon you can pull this one off?

Taylor

It's a tough one. May require me to do some deeper reading on techniques for advanced PCB design. I know about ground planes and separate power rails and so forth, but if I did that project I'd want to really do it right. The only thing is that I'd really prefer to do something which uses easily available parts. I know from previous projects that anything you can't get at Small Bear apparently turns a lot of people off.

To come at this from a different direction, one which flies in the face of mojo, I wonder if a TZF flanger could be made with 2 PT2399's? Of course, the shortest delay is too long, but what if you mixed the clean, undelayed signal, plus a static delayed signal, plus a modulated delay signal? Since you have the clean signal there, it wouldn't feel like there was latency; the flanging would just be slightly behind the note attacks. Maybe I'll wang it together and see how it sounds, as I have a bunch of PT2399's sitting around.

This doesn't mean I'm not into doing the analog TZF flanger. I am. But on the off chance that the PT2399 version sounded good, it would be cool. I guess there might still be clock heterodyning to deal with, though. Hmm.

Scruffie

Quote from: Taylor on September 06, 2010, 07:48:56 PM
It's a tough one. May require me to do some deeper reading on techniques for advanced PCB design. I know about ground planes and separate power rails and so forth, but if I did that project I'd want to really do it right. The only thing is that I'd really prefer to do something which uses easily available parts. I know from previous projects that anything you can't get at Small Bear apparently turns a lot of people off.

To come at this from a different direction, one which flies in the face of mojo, I wonder if a TZF flanger could be made with 2 PT2399's? Of course, the shortest delay is too long, but what if you mixed the clean, undelayed signal, plus a static delayed signal, plus a modulated delay signal? Since you have the clean signal there, it wouldn't feel like there was latency; the flanging would just be slightly behind the note attacks. Maybe I'll wang it together and see how it sounds, as I have a bunch of PT2399's sitting around.

This doesn't mean I'm not into doing the analog TZF flanger. I am. But on the off chance that the PT2399 version sounded good, it would be cool. I guess there might still be clock heterodyning to deal with, though. Hmm.
I think that's been stabbed at before and the answer was no... no you can't, but then again, with some experimentation it might work I suppose, never say never.

The BBDs are easily available at small bear too, there's schematics for MN3007 & 3207 (Many cheap clones of which exist too) versions of both the Electric Mistress and TZF board so it should be easy to get parts and also make it jumperable to allow the user to choose which to use.

Oh I just remembered aswell, doesn't the overclocking of the MN3007/MN3207 via the 4049 buffer push it over than range of human hearing anyway or something so Heterodyning should be less of a risk or am I making that up.

Skruffyhound

Thanks as always for your input Dave. 3 HF clocks, hmmm, didn't think about that.
Is it just clock noise that you dislike about charge pumps?

The EM is a big job looks like, but there's a lot of interest, more board sales, cheaper prices, kudos, support from the "old hands" of the forum and doubtless an endless stream of Scarlett pics posted to keep your spirits up during the slog (that will probably be the only part I'll be any help with)..... what do you say Taylor?

Edit: By all means, have at the PT2399's as well ;D

Skruffyhound

Seriously though, if you want some help breadboarding or researching, shout out, its a lot of work to do on your own.
Right now, however, I'm going to bed before I have to get up again.

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: Skruffyhound on September 06, 2010, 07:59:40 PMIs it just clock noise that you dislike about charge pumps?
Nah. For me it's just one more unnecessary variable to add to the mix. I am a big fan of using a proper, clean 18-24VDC power supply and regulating things at the effect.
Just a personal choice.
Quote from: Skruffyhound on September 06, 2010, 08:11:56 PM
Seriously though, if you want some help breadboarding or researching, shout out, its a lot of work to do on your own.
+1. I'd be happy to help any way I can.
Just PM...
@Scruffie: >Oh I just remembered as well, doesn't the overclocking of the MN3007/MN3207 via the 4049 buffer push it over than range of human hearing anyway or something so Heterodyning should be less of a risk or am I making that up.<
Heterodyning is the sum & difference frequencies when clocks "meet". The sum is usually not an issue. The difference is where things get messy. Overclocking itself may or may not be the answer to that problem. It's how "far apart" the clocks are. And filtering, layout, etc. (See link in my post above).

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

mrslunk

I personally would love to see a pcb for the Chopped OC-2
I've been wrestling with the schematic trying to make a decent layout to no avail.
*rage rage rage*

Scruffie

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 06, 2010, 08:18:30 PM
Heterodyning is the sum & difference frequencies when clocks "meet". The sum is usually not an issue. The difference is where things get messy. Overclocking itself may or may not be the answer to that problem. It's how "far apart" the clocks are. And filtering, layout, etc. (See link in my post above).
Yeah that's kinda what I thought but I was going from memory and thought I read something along those lines and figured maybe both clocks being high up might help to cancel out the mess of the cross but apparently not.

Quote from: mrslunk on September 07, 2010, 01:33:02 AM
I personally would love to see a pcb for the Chopped OC-2
I've been wrestling with the schematic trying to make a decent layout to no avail.
*rage rage rage*
How does the EHX Octave Multiplexer measure up to the OC-2...? Rather than chop, couldn't you just use the Multiplexer that only has one octave anyway, but I must admit to not having checked over both schematics really, or hearing the demos as I found very few OC-2 demos.

Taylor

I've already got a chopped OC-2 PCB completed. Just need to make a few slight changes, order another round of prototype PCBs, and then it'll be ready to go.

Mich P

A reverb tremolo project oriented fender
Thanks,
Mich P.

Taylor

Hmm, do you mean a tube reverb and trem like you'd find in a Fender amp? I'm not a tube guy, so that's probably not something I'd be able to do at this time.

markeebee

Just freestyling now, but if we (and by we I mean Taylor  :icon_biggrin:) are designing from scratchish, I've often thought about combining a gate, a step sequencer or rudimentary drum machine and maybe a looper to make a Slicer type thing.

If no takers, I'll probably try to hack it myself but it will take me several years.

Taylor

If, for each step, you just want on or off selectable, then you could marry Andrew's Vanishing Point:

http://tech.thetonegod.com/

To the audio portion of the Tremulus Lune. No hacking required, since the Vanishing Point drives an LED and the Lune uses an optocoupler as the volume control unit.

markeebee

Thanks Taylor. I was thinking pretty much the same, but I'd like to vary the "on" duration as well and I thought a gate would be the way to go.

Sorry, hijacking. I'll take this to another thread, sometime.

Mich P

Taylor say :
"Hmm, do you mean a tube reverb and trem like you'd find in a Fender amp? I'm not a tube guy, so that's probably not something I'd be able to do at this time. "

Hi taylor not specially tube but reverb IC's maybe or the belton brick seems ok !
and a good tremolo
And yes oriented fender.
I think it would be a great pedal !
Mich P.

Scruffie

Oh just to make the Flanger even more Complex (and crazier) I dug up these 3 Sound Clips by Mr.Giles for his Bounce Mod he did to an Electric Mistress... TZF Bouncing???
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/bounce1.mp3
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/bounce2.mp3
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/bounce3.mp3

therecordingart

Quote from: Taylor on September 06, 2010, 04:24:18 PM
Right, it's not about parts count (I have done PCBs for things with more parts than that), it's more to do with the mains wiring, tranformer, high wattage resistors, etc. Projects like that scare off a lot of people, and when the number of people interested goes down, the price per board goes way up. If you do decide to do the layout, I will happily offer whatever help I can.

Do you know of anyone that I can hire to do the layout?

Taylor

I don't know of anyone who would do it for much less than the price of one of these amps used on ebay, I'm afraid.