Good pedals for bass guitar

Started by -B, September 10, 2010, 03:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-B

Hi all,
I'm new, so hello all and thanks in advance :)
A few weeks ago i started browsing around on the web for building pedals yourself and last week i built my little-customized bazzfuss pedal with components i had lying around. In 2 days it worked like a charm :)
Now i'm basically looking for some more projects you guys could suggest me :)
i have experience with soldering and basic component work, know how to read schematics but don't know much about the wave-shaping process and stuff.
Another notable thing is that i'm a bass player, i don't know how much this decreases my posibilities?
I've seen some stuff i'm interested in, including
- Ruby amp. i like the idea of having an small amp or an amp for headphones, but does it actually work for bass at all?
- octup! i actually already started buying components for this project since i read here it works wonderfull with bass and i would like to have an octaver pedal.
- Dr.q/Dr.quack - i've been in love with envelope filters ever since i bought my DT Bass synth wah. I just am worried about the sound demo's of Dr Q on youtube were i hear little to none of the bass frequencies left when the pedal is on. Any of you experience with this?

Anything that can help me would be nice, including any easy or cheap (i'm just a student :p) DIY projects :)

-Berend

jkokura

A compressor and an overdrive are pretty obvious examples. I like the idea of an envelope filter also, and an octave fuzz could be really cool.

One suggestion I had was to look at commercial bass specific pedals for ideas, like looking at all the bass pedals Boss make. Once you have an idea of what kind of bass specific pedals are out there you might see something you might want to try and make.

Probably the coolest bass effect I've ever seen is the EHX BassSynth, but I don't think that's a DIY type of effect.

Jacob

Earthscum

Little Angel mini chorus works nice with the blend and delay mods: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=86297.140 (ignore the 100k pot change in the LFO section if you use the NE5532).

Also, Bazz Fuss is probably easiest distortion, and VERY unique sounding. I use mine all the time, especially when I have to blend in with the distorted guitars without dropping through the floor.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

Derringer

I was always happy with this for some fuzz/overdrive options

any darlington tranny should work ... or even a high gain NPN I reckon

edvard

As far as Dr. Q goes, I don't know what it's nature is, but for bass it's been said before that the best kind of envelope filter is a low-pass type so you don't lose the bass response.
That is why Mu-Tron III's  are so popular for bass, because it has a low-pass mode.
The Moog MoogerFooger 101 is a low-pass filter with an envelope, don't know how popular it is for bass, but I assume it would work nice.
Oakley has a schematic for something very like it, you could probably get away with removing some of the external control bits:
http://www.emusic-diy.org/Schematics/Oakley/FilterBox
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

ianmgull

Check out some blender circuits. They'll blend some of the clean signal in with the effect so you don't loose too much low end (sounds great with fuzzes). I beleive the paralooper even has a LPF if you're real picky:

http://www.moosapotamus.net/THINGS/paraloop.htm

-B

Thanks all, i've seen some stuff i definitely like to build.
I don't know if i'm up to the filterbox yet, so i'll save that project.

A compressor and a paraloop are high on my list, perhaps also a little angel. Even the fuzzdrive looks like something i will built sooner or later :)
Any suggestions for a compressor that works well with bass? (and of course more pedal suggestions are always welcome :) )

-Berend

jkokura

Ross Compressor. There are some mods that help make it sound better with Bass. For a commercial example, the keeley 4 knob compressor is pretty much that ross compressor with the mods for bass. It adds more control. You can do the same thing with trim pots instead or just adjust some of the values in the circuit. Do some searches here and it should be pretty easy to find.

Jacob

Earthscum

Compressor is on my list (maybe I'll get back to it tonight). I HAD a design that worked around a single CD4049UBE, but the problem was that it was hissy, typical of 4049's at high gain. It worked really well, but was really squishy. My goal was actually to build a comp into the Hot Harmonics circuit for a compression overdrive. It actually stayed REALLY clean until you slammed the strings... was going after the Les Claypool sound, but was just too fizzy and not grindy enough when it hit the clip. A revisit will probably encompass LED clipping to remedy that.

Hmm... build Comp or print shirts...

Drink coffee and do the Comp  ;)  If I get it working, I'll slap the schem together and throw it up in a thread. This will definitely  be for Bass. End goal is compressor with overdrive capabilities.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum