Does anyone know why my EHX Micro Pog hisses like a punctured tire?

Started by kimelopidaer, September 15, 2010, 10:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimelopidaer

Hi,
I'm new here, so I hope i've posted in the right group. I assumed this would be the right place since the Micro Pog is a digital effect.
A few months ago I bought one used, and it started acting up right away. The octaves were non-functioning. I sent it back to EHX with the repair fee, and when the pedal was returned to me the octaves were working again. However, there was a loud hiss produced as long as the pedal was engaged. The volume of the hiss, is consistent, and not as loud as the effect signal, but certainly annoying enough to preclude my using it for recording or even live music of subtler volume (ex. acoustic guitar, violin and bass).

At my local music store, the sales staff agreed that the hiss was unusual and very disagreeable. It's not something that you can just ignore while you play. They help me determine that it's not my guitar, cables, amp or power supply. The problem must be in the pedal.
But EHX says this is the normal sound floor for the micro pog. I just can't see that being the case.

Anyone here have a similar experience with the micro pog? what do you think would be responsible for that white noise hiss?
After I contacted them again, they said they were going to send me a new pedal. When that one arrived, it made the same noise.
Thoughts?

Scruffie

I was reading through the EHX Forums the other day and it seems anyone that gets a repair, gets a hissy pedal back and told "It's normal for the unit" I don't know why this could be but it seems fairly common.

I don't know if there's really much in side there that you could adjust yourself either, being DSP and Surface Mount components mainly most likely.