Stage Center Frustration

Started by john.hostetter, September 17, 2010, 10:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john.hostetter

1. Stage Center Reverb, from General Guitar Gadgets and Craig Anderton.
2. http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/25-reverb/43-stage-center-reverb
3. Hi all! I have been working on this @#$% thing for almost a year now. I breadboarded to exact schematic specifications (with a simple cancel switch and 2 9v batteries) and it worked great. Then I perfboarded it to exact schematic specifications (with DPDT true bypass wiring and a Max1044 for +9, -9) and it didn't work at all. I became frustrated with perfboards and IC chips and went ahead and splurged on some PCB-making tools. NOW I have etched a great looking SCR PCB as well as a great looking Max1044 PCB (courtesy of GGG). I got everything all wired up (DPDT true bypass, stereo input) and still nothing. I have realized that the circuit is somehow frying my 1044s! I have gone through about 4 1044s, but now I am seeking professional advice. The circuit will fry the chip even if it is not hooked up to the reverb tank. I am positive I am only feeding it 9v. Any suggestions?
4. The pedal emits a high-pitched squeal. I have narrowed down the problem to the 1044 PCB. I set up a testing circuit on my breadboard (the basic 1044 schematic on Geofex: http://www.geofex.com/circuits/+9_to_-9.htm) so that I know I have a functional chip. Once I plug the chip into its socket on the circuit board I get these readings:

1 - 9v
2 - 7.38v
3 - 7.38v
4 - 7.5v
5 - 7.5v
6 - 7.38v
7 - 7.38v
8 - 9v

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

anchovie

Check the ground connection to the 1044 - pin 3 should be at zero volts!
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

john.hostetter

Thanks for the quick reply. Will do asap.

john.hostetter

I was really hoping there was some grounding issues going on, but sadly that is not the case. My previous readings were inaccurate. All ground connections on both boards are 0.00. Here are my revised readings:

Max1044:

1 - 9.75
2 - 7.97
3 - 0.00
4 - 7.97
5 - 7.76
6 - 8.20
7 - 8.15 - 8.27
8 - 9.74

This is really puzzling me. I can't figure out why the chip will work fine in my little breadboard circuit but get completely fried once its inserted in the Stage Center. Appreciate any help.

john.hostetter

I just realized my DPDT isn't grounded with the boards. Could this be causing the fry?