Interest in Professionaly Fabbed Bad Stone Phaser PCBs?

Started by Scruffie, September 14, 2010, 09:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Tremblay

My 2-knob unit, when I first acquired it, had one battery.  I later learned from Ron Neely that it originally had two batteries to supply +9 and -9.  At some point, a previous owner had removed the second battery snap and taped together the leads.  It's been a long time since I tried running it with one battery, but I don't recall a huge difference in sound when I returned it to the original power supply setup.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Scruffie

Quote from: soggybag on September 14, 2010, 08:07:53 PM
I could be interested. The board looks pretty big. There isn't much room for a battery. Did the original use a battery?
The layout has been shrunk down so a battery should fit, also depending how you fit the board in the case a battery would fit easily, if you put the jacks on the side of the case along side the switch then you'd have all that free space from the top spare and if you had the switch to the side a bit a battery would fit and if you had it laid out like a Memory Man type effect (Switch to the bottom left, jacks on the top, case sideways) I think a battery would fit aswell... plus the jacks can probably fit above the board so it could be pushed up, shouldn't be an issue I don't think and as John says, this board is a hell of alot smaller than the original! And I don't think the toppopiccione board will even fit in a 1590BB, not to mention the jumpers.

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 14, 2010, 06:55:42 PM
4009's are still readily available. Check it out.
Well there ya go, i'll have to grab one, but the 4049 will work fine for people that don't want to order from a specific place.

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 14, 2010, 06:37:45 PM
$$??
Haven't found out yet... sent off for a quote from the manufacturer, hopefully not too much, certainly cheaper than the A/DA Boards though, probably about the same cost as Taylors boards, it also depends on the amount of interest as with more boards, the cost goes down, but we don't wanna be left with a load!

Quote from: John Lyons on September 15, 2010, 01:21:37 AM
May have gone through changes with different versions.
Yeah it did, that's version one, there was also a version in a wah casing, the version we have here is the so called 'Zombie Face' with just the 2 knobs and a Toggle from phaser to vibrato and that ran off just 9V.

Quote from: Brymus on September 14, 2010, 06:45:38 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on September 14, 2010, 10:09:20 AM
Here's the schematic for those interested, the Manual Pot has been omitted http://topopiccione.atspace.com/pjimages/EHBadStone.sch.gif
The link isn't working.
You're right... I don't know why that is, it works fine if you go through the site...

Another thing... do people want a booster tacked onto the board to make up for the volume drop suffered or would people prefer to add there own (it will most likely be an LPB-1... it's EHX aswell and low parts count, the toggle would be re-wired to take it out of the circuit when switched to vibrato to account for the vibrato being louder)

SpencerPedals

azrael

Quote from: Scruffie on September 15, 2010, 08:14:04 AM
Another thing... do people want a booster tacked onto the board to make up for the volume drop suffered or would people prefer to add there own (it will most likely be an LPB-1... it's EHX aswell and low parts count, the toggle would be re-wired to take it out of the circuit when switched to vibrato to account for the vibrato being louder)
I think a booster on board would be best, it makes it so much cleaner looking.

thehoj

I'd take one if the price is similar to Taylor's boards.

cab42

• SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

aleister

my bobkat will kill your mustang and maim your jaguar, harmony gits rule!!!

Scruffie

Quote from: azrael on September 15, 2010, 12:53:22 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on September 15, 2010, 08:14:04 AM
I think a booster on board would be best, it makes it so much cleaner looking.
Yes this is definitley true, for me i'd want it on board but I wanted to be sure people didn't like putting there own boosters at the end rather than me telling them what to use but I suppose it could just be jumpered if you didn't want it, i'll have the run made with it on.

According to Abfackeln with his prototype unit, having the booster at the end and then switched out with the Vibrato (You'll need a DPDT rather than the specified SPST of course) works pretty much perfectly and negates one of the major flaws of this pedal.

Would people like a Level Pot or Trimmer? Personally I feel it's a set and forget thing.

There definitley seems to be enough interest to warrant a run though, we'll get to work on the details... Stay Tuned.

Skruffyhound

wavley

New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

jrod

azrael

Quote from: Scruffie on September 15, 2010, 04:00:37 PM
Yes this is definitley true, for me i'd want it on board but I wanted to be sure people didn't like putting there own boosters at the end rather than me telling them what to use but I suppose it could just be jumpered if you didn't want it, i'll have the run made with it on.

According to Abfackeln with his prototype unit, having the booster at the end and then switched out with the Vibrato (You'll need a DPDT rather than the specified SPST of course) works pretty much perfectly and negates one of the major flaws of this pedal.

Would people like a Level Pot or Trimmer? Personally I feel it's a set and forget thing.

There definitley seems to be enough interest to warrant a run though, we'll get to work on the details... Stay Tuned.
I agree, a trimmer sounds best. The less space it needs on the top, the better. :D

What are the dimensions looking like for the final product?
Also, how easy would it be to add a manual control?

Scruffie

Quote from: azrael on September 15, 2010, 06:56:17 PM
I agree, a trimmer sounds best. The less space it needs on the top, the better. :D

What are the dimensions looking like for the final product?
Also, how easy would it be to add a manual control?
With the added LPB-1... maybe 80mm Wide x 60mm long, the board pictured there is 78mm x 68mm so it'll be a tiny bit wider but add more space for a battery.

To add the manual control back in would require breaking a trace and removing a resistor basically... Think that's right.

B Tremblay

Having the Manual control included would be great, since a builder could then add a jack for an expression pedal.  On element I've always liked about the Bad Stone is its almost wah-like chewy sound.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Scruffie

Quote from: B Tremblay on September 16, 2010, 05:40:16 AM
Having the Manual control included would be great, since a builder could then add a jack for an expression pedal.  On element I've always liked about the Bad Stone is its almost wah-like chewy sound.
Well... there would be the hole from the left out 100k Resistor to ground that would be left out to attach to and then you'd just tap off from the correct point (R36/42 Junction) and you'd have the manual control and then there'd be no need to add jumpers to the layout and with the Questionable number of people that actually require the expression pedal... I think i'd like to keep it off as that is a simple enough way for people that want it to have it without changing the layout... although I might give in if there's enough peer pressure.

azrael

I just think it would be a nice option, if it's a bit of a hassle, no worries. I just like having weird pedals, haha.

Scruffie

Quote from: azrael on September 16, 2010, 11:12:59 AM
I just think it would be a nice option, if it's a bit of a hassle, no worries. I just like having weird pedals, haha.
Well adding it as an onboard pot would be a hassle (sorta pointless too as you'd most likely run it to a jack anyway) and require a new prototyping run most likely yeah.

But I think just having to add one wire to the underside of the board isn't too much of a messy hassle for people that want it and then just using the space from the resistor to ground removed for the other two wires still leaves it as an option basically, not much different than wiring it any other way.

When the additonal LPB-1 board layout is done i'll draw a little sketch to show how it'd be done, it's really easy and wont be messy  :)

Taylor

I'll probably be in for one or 2. I am interested in some mods, as I am a "maximum knobs possible" kind of person. Will there be documentation on mod suggestions?