Trainwreck Preamp Pedal..built it.Sounds good. Has one mega problem...need help!

Started by zambo, October 03, 2010, 02:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zambo

I guess i need to figure out how to post pictures on here. I will get some gut shots up soon...how do I post pics on here?
I wonder what happens if I .......

phector2004

Quote from: zambo on October 31, 2010, 11:25:28 PM
I guess i need to figure out how to post pictures on here. I will get some gut shots up soon...how do I post pics on here?

Make an account here, upload, and it gives you an [IMG] code for the pic

dorrisant

@zambo,
Have you tried any other tubes at the lower voltage? Possibly 12at7's or 12au7's... Or 12u7's... I know you seem to be quite satisfied with the tone from the 12ax7's, but there could possibly be even more tasty flavors to be had by switching tube types... Or even brands... Btw... What brand are you using or prefer?

zambo

I actualy have tried au at ax combinations and lots of different voltages. I am using groove tubes and jj's for the ax and old conn tubes and sylvanias for au's. at's are groove tubes as well. Au's have a very nice drive to them. At's are a bit white nois ish and ax's seem to be the most agressive and "toothy". If I was going to be smoothy smooth guy I would most likley pick the au7's..I recorded the ax7's at my buddies studio last night. Very cool sounding going straight into the hot rod deluxe power amp!!! Still has a few weird lingering sounds in the bass area. Not noticable during music performance but a purist would complain I think...It still stomps my tube screamer though :icon_mrgreen:

zambo

zambo

dorrisant

@zango:
Thanks for your posts. You really have it nailed down! Sounds like you have hit that zone where you want to play just to hear how good this preamp shapes your familiar riffs in new ways. I love it when that happens.
Let us know if you find any more improvements.
And thanks to all other posters who help guide the rest of us to hone in on a great finished (?) product.
(Merlin's book rocks!)