(6) AA batteries vs (1) 9V battery

Started by Philippe, October 05, 2010, 04:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

I don't think you will find 110volts AC anywhere in Europe - 230 volts is now regarded as world standard. It's just that the USA does not comply :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

armdnrdy

Quote from: StephenGiles on July 06, 2013, 07:10:44 AM
I don't think you will find 110volts AC anywhere in Europe - 230 volts is now regarded as world standard. It's just that the USA does not comply :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

We are the original "Punk rockers" without the music!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Thecomedian

Quote from: CynicalMan on October 06, 2010, 05:16:15 PM
True, but for someone who is more into distortions/ODs/wahs rather than Whammys or HOGs, this could be useful. Cost is also an issue with these. I wouldn't pay $150 to be able to use an AC outlet later than sooner when I can buy a 1spot for $20.

It would be nice to have a battery pack with more capacity. If I knew more about charging Li-ions I might buy 10 or 20 of those cell phone batteries and make a battery pack at something like 5000mAh.

666 posts  :icon_twisted:

buy a battery for an electric car. mobile high voltage/mAh and no need for wall power. And you can recharge it.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

duck_arse

the terminal voltage of NiMH and NiCd is 1V2, no? 6 * 1V2 = 7V8. this is a cause for disappointment when buying a "9V NiCd battery". 8 batteries would be a different story.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

greaser_au

Quote from: duck_arse on July 06, 2013, 08:13:25 AM
the terminal voltage of NiMH and NiCd is 1V2, no? 6 * 1V2 = 7V8. this is a cause for disappointment when buying a "9V NiCd battery". 8 batteries would be a different story.

the good ones are actually made with 7 cells, and were not at all uncommon   :)    However as luck would have it, the ones I had from the 'old days' are only six...

mac

Quoting myself:

QuoteI you had enough space inside your box 6 x 1.5v aa/aaa batteries will last a long long time, maybe years if you power a FF, Big Muff, dist+ or similar, depending on how often you use them. 

I power my pedals this way if I can get a large box. The batteries in my Rangemaster and Fuzz Faces are 3 years old or so.

The ONLY problem you must be aware of is that sometimes after a long period of time batteries could begin to leak, so you must check your pedals from time to time.

5 years now.
The packs of my Rangemaster and FF read 9.5v, and look ok  ;)

For all others pedals, instead of a PS I have a metal box with shielded wire holding 6xD cells.

As an example, I built 386 amps to amplify MP3 players for beach use. I had to replace 6xAA after a month or two using it a couple of hours a day. Today I use rechargeable batts.
1W @ 9v is about 111mA, full volume.

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Joe

Yeah my manual says 100V-240V, should not be a problem. :icon_mrgreen: