Dead Astronaut FX : F-24 Multi-FX question

Started by eh la bas ma, April 16, 2024, 06:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eh la bas ma

Hello,

I am building The F24 Multi FX project.

I am not sure what value should be used at C8 ?

Is it 15pf as mentioned on the schematics ? Musikding sent me a 10p and a 120p... Which one do you think i should use ?

Every suggestion is welcome !
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

DrAlx

Datasheet for the FV-1 says 15pF but my experience was that is too low a value and can give noise on power up. I ended up using 33pF.  See this thread on spin forum:

http://www.spinsemi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4118&hilit=15pF#p4118

eh la bas ma

Thanks for your reply !

"30pF didn't solve the problem but 33pF did."

Understood, i guess i'll try the 120p they sent me and adjust it later, if i notice anything annoying.
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

eh la bas ma

I have a few more questions about this project.

I don't intend  to design my own digital effects, i don't know the first thing about that.  After 5 years building stompboxes i still struggle with basic electronics, diving into digital effect development isn't really an option, i'd rather play some music...

I just want a multi-fx stompbox with lots and lots of effects, in order to ease my burden when i am traveling.

Unfortunately, i didn't anticipate that both EEPROM would be empty... But the project includes a 6 pin header to access the EEPROMs.

I could buy some pre-loaded EEPROM from Pedal PCB, but with the shipment fee it would be approximately 45 euros for two IC full of patches. Surely that's not the most economical move ?

What's the easiest and cheapest way to load some effects into the EEPROM ?

Can i build some sort of diy cable to connect the EEPROM ICs to my computer ?

If not, instructions mention pickit2 programmer or arduino to connect to the ICs. Wich one is the easiest for a total beginner ?

On musikding they mention SpinCad. I looked it up and got to github.com.

https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer/tree/master/patches

I guess i have to go into the "patches" folder, download 8 patches for each EEPROM, then somehow export them to the EEPROM, and that's it ?

DIY Bass

There are a lot of patches collected together here https://mstratman.github.io/fv1-programs/

They are just collected from around the web, so they may not all work, but there are a lot here to try out

DrAlx

Quote from: DIY Bass on April 17, 2024, 05:07:36 AMThere are a lot of patches collected together here https://mstratman.github.io/fv1-programs/

They are just collected from around the web, so they may not all work, but there are a lot here to try out

It seems those patches are in assembly language (ASM files).  They need to be compiled using the spin assembler to produce hex code.  Then you need another program for either PickIt or Arduino to burn the hex code to the EEPROM.

Not sure what my advice to a novice would be. You need instructions on:

1) How to compile ASM files to hex code using either the Spin assembler (which is for MS Windows only), or the alternative spin assembler (asfv1) which works on both Linux and MS Windows but its a command line program and you need install Python.
2) How to wire a Pickit or Arduino to the EEPROM.
3) What software to get on your PC to program the Pickit or Arduino so it can burn the hex code.

Maybe this is a question best asked on the Digital & DSP section of the forum.

stallik

The FX-24 has a built in interface for the Pickit
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

eh la bas ma

Quote from: DrAlx on April 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
Quote from: DIY Bass on April 17, 2024, 05:07:36 AMThere are a lot of patches collected together here https://mstratman.github.io/fv1-programs/

It seems those patches are in assembly language (ASM files).  They need to be compiled using the spin assembler to produce hex code.  Then you need another program for either PickIt or Arduino to burn the hex code to the EEPROM.

Not sure what my advice to a novice would be. You need instructions on:

1) How to compile ASM files to hex code using either the Spin assembler (which is for MS Windows only), or the alternative spin assembler (asfv1) which works on both Linux and MS Windows but its a command line program and you need install Python.
2) How to wire a Pickit or Arduino to the EEPROM.
3) What software to get on your PC to program the Pickit or Arduino so it can burn the hex code.

Maybe this is a question best asked on the Digital & DSP section of the forum.

Thanks for your replies !

I think you scared me a little bit. That doesn't look like something very enjoyable...

I guess i'll try to negociate with musikding to get some preloaded EEPROM, hoping to avoid expensive shipment fee from Pedal PCB...

Maybe i'll change my mind, but i really don't want to spend so much time and effort for digital effects. They don't even interest me that much : in most cases i prefer analog effects by far.

I'll talk to some friends with a little experience in digital fx, listen to what they have to say, and maybe i'll try something.

But now, i would rather pay some expensive shipment fee from the U.S. for 2 little PPCB EEPROM, than struggling for weeks with all this programming stuff.

I really thought The F-24 kit would include some home-made DeadAstronaut's patches, i should have looked closer. As a matter of facts, it's never mentioned anywhere so i should have known.

Probably because i'm used to PPCB FV-1 projects, which always include loaded EEPROM.

FiveseveN

Quote from: eh la bas ma on April 17, 2024, 12:34:02 AMI just want a multi-fx stompbox with lots and lots of effects, in order to ease my burden when i am traveling.
If this is the main goal and you don't want to set up for programming, why not buy one of the tiny commercial DSPs like Nux Mighty Plug?
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?