"Noise Ensemble" - simple PT2399 abuse!

Started by anchovie, October 10, 2010, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GodSaveMetal

Anchovie you are my inspiration!!! and what hapends of the 5 knobs layout??

p_wats

I'll post my 5-knob layout soon. Some of the knobs are really not that useful though...

GodSaveMetal

p_wats

OK, almost done building. I scaled it back to 4 knobs (volume, delay time, repeat weirdness and repeat level). It's going to take some reverse engineering to figure out what I did, as it's a bit of a mess, but it's going to be an awesome beast:

Noise Ensemble + Little Angel + Nurse Quacky in one cookie tin.

p_wats

Alright guys, I finally boxed this bad boy up. I couldn't decide what to put it with, so I went for broke and crammed it into a cookie tin with a Dr. Quack and modded Little Angel.

In the end, I scaled it back to 3 knobs and a toggle (volume, repeat level, delay time and delay weirdness).

The mods are as follows: the toggle breaks the connection to the 47K resistor (I'm still playing with the exact value of the resistor there) and cleans up the repeats. A higher level resistor here would really make them go crazy with the toggle engaged.

I replaced the 10K resistor between pins 11 and 12 with a 50k pot. This controls the level of the repeats (from very quiet to incredibly loud).

Here's a pic (it has four knobs here, because I added the toggle last night and gave the extra space to an intensity control for the Little Angel). Check out the sound sample posted at our band site too.

nick d

Just heard the clip -  that is seriously WRONG!  I  LOVE IT !!!!!

GodSaveMetal

Hey paul PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE a layout for thisssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p_wats

Quote from: GodSaveMetal on February 01, 2011, 01:17:30 PM
Hey paul PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE a layout for thisssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The layout's the same as the one on the first page, just with the two mods I mentioned above (I had 5 knobs at one point, but they were not very usable...overkill).

mirmite

i might be really stupid now but i have been trying for a while to build this, and i get mostly distortion sounds no real looping or fuzz effect, and i was woundering where shuld i solder the sleve aka ground from the input and the output
Never drink and derive.
www.trasigleksak.se

pinkjimiphoton

DUDE, THAT IS SICK, I F***IN LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

anchovie

Quote from: mirmite on June 18, 2011, 08:07:46 AM
i might be really stupid now but i have been trying for a while to build this, and i get mostly distortion sounds no real looping or fuzz effect, and i was woundering where shuld i solder the sleve aka ground from the input and the output

All grounds are connected, so you want the input and output sleeves connecting to power supply ground.

My schematic doesn't provide looping - if you want that you'll have to implement feedback yourself. The delay section of the chip will provide a single echo. You'll have to explain to me what the difference between distortion and fuzz is in your case - are you actually getting a guitar signal through or is it just making noise?
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

anchovie

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on June 18, 2011, 09:49:48 AM
DUDE, THAT IS SICK, I F***IN LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_mrgreen:

My pleasure!

GodSaveMetal

Quote from: anchovie on June 18, 2011, 12:39:08 PM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on June 18, 2011, 09:49:48 AM

My pleasure!
OK OK and I´m too for this is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:

mirmite

Quote from: anchovie on June 18, 2011, 12:38:45 PM
Quote from: mirmite on June 18, 2011, 08:07:46 AM

All grounds are connected, so you want the input and output sleeves connecting to power supply ground.

My schematic doesn't provide looping - if you want that you'll have to implement feedback yourself. The delay section of the chip will provide a single echo. You'll have to explain to me what the difference between distortion and fuzz is in your case - are you actually getting a guitar signal through or is it just making noise?

Thanks mate got it upp and running did hafto change some pots that vere aperently broken but it works well now :)
Never drink and derive.
www.trasigleksak.se

DarrenCotta

Anyone know where I can the 7805?  :-[ Or is there something I can use instead?

anchovie

You could use the 78L05 which is the lower-current version, just make sure you check the pinout on a datasheet.

Where do you live? It's not an obscure part - even Radio Shack stock the 7805!

DarrenCotta

;D lul I'm a newb trying to build my first vero boarded project!

Wiiiiish me luck. I'm sourcing parts at the moment. Hopefully I don't lose my sanity!   :-\

boog

finally built this; freakin awesome \m/  but it acts a bit different now that it's boxed up.

i did two mods that paul had done: a 100k pot for the shambles control, and a 500k pot between the 47k resistor and pin 6. nice. so, when i had this thing wired up to my test rig, there seemed to be an indeterminable number of repeats. now there's just one. the only other difference is that my test rig is millennium bypass and it's now got ol' blue for a footswitch (3pdt). i know that my millennium has something amiss (high gain circuits really oscillate a bunch on that guy) but could this possibly be the culprit? or am i just remembering things that didn't happen?

anyway, kudos to this thing!

boog

how about this: because of the way the millennium is wired on the dpdt, is it possible that those little electron thingies are 'jumping' from the output back to the input? i say this because the repeats continued to get weirder as they went on, eventually dying out. so it's not like it would need a lot of signal, and my dpdt's are rather cheap. i got this idea from doing this: ran the noise ensemble through a feedback looper (great idea, if i do say so myself  :icon_twisted:) and was, of course, able to get my infinite repeat, but they stayed at the same volume without decay. so it would have to be some kind of decaying signal returning to the input?

now to find my thing modulator and stick that in the loop as well.