"Noise Ensemble" - simple PT2399 abuse!

Started by anchovie, October 10, 2010, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anchovie

If you want that precise ordering for the switch, you'll need a 3-position rotary or slider. For an on/off/on toggle, the "disconnect" option will have to be position #2.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

peterg

My take on Anchovie's great Noise Ensemble circuit.

Bear

Quote from: p_wats on February 01, 2011, 10:41:32 AM
I replaced the 10K resistor between pins 13 and 14 [corrected as on page 6] with a 50k pot. This controls the level of the repeats (from very quiet to incredibly loud).

Audio or linear taper for this pot?

Thanks!

p_wats

Quote from: Bear on November 16, 2013, 05:31:36 PM
Quote from: p_wats on February 01, 2011, 10:41:32 AM
I replaced the 10K resistor between pins 13 and 14 [corrected as on page 6] with a 50k pot. This controls the level of the repeats (from very quiet to incredibly loud).

Audio or linear taper for this pot?

Thanks!

Either would work. I probably used a 50K because that's what I had on hand and it worked fine.

That said, my pedal mysteriously died recently---it was in a giant cookie tin with a few other circuits, so I wasn't aiming for longevity. I haven't tried too hard to bring it back to life since...

thefunisover

Hi all,
I've breadboarded peterg's version of the noise ensemble but am having some issues.
When testing with a triangle wave generator, the signal passes through just fine when the circuit is off, but when it is turned on I get no sound. If I connect the
When testing with an oscilloscope, the waves are present when the circuit is on and can be manipulated by the volume and gain knobs.
If I connect the output wire directly to pin 16 of the chip, I get a quiet signal that doesn't sound affected by the circuit.

Help??
Peterg, any pictures of your actual wiring?

Thanks URL=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/thefunisover/media/photo-1.jpg.html][/URL]

Canucker

etched my board last night and was rocking out on this today. Can't believe how fast I put this together....I must be getting better at this.There are a ton of posts to read through on this...is there a cure for the sputter among them? Othere then that this is my kinda noise!  :icon_biggrin:

anchovie

Sputter will be from me using the first opamp as a comparator, so incoming signals become either "maximum" or "off". Look at reply #49 from earthtonesaudio - he turned the first opamp into a regular fixed gain stage and made the whole thing fuzzy at the end with a couple of diodes.

peterg

Quote from: thefunisover on December 05, 2013, 05:51:29 PM
Hi all,
I've breadboarded peterg's version of the noise ensemble but am having some issues.
When testing with a triangle wave generator, the signal passes through just fine when the circuit is off, but when it is turned on I get no sound. If I connect the
When testing with an oscilloscope, the waves are present when the circuit is on and can be manipulated by the volume and gain knobs.
If I connect the output wire directly to pin 16 of the chip, I get a quiet signal that doesn't sound affected by the circuit.

Help??
Peterg, any pictures of your actual wiring?

Thanks URL=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/thefunisover/media/photo-1.jpg.html][/URL]

Sorry for the really late response. I just noticed the post. Here is a link to the gut shot:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.msg943066#msg943066

Canucker

Quote from: anchovie on March 12, 2014, 06:33:33 AM
Sputter will be from me using the first opamp as a comparator, so incoming signals become either "maximum" or "off". Look at reply #49 from earthtonesaudio - he turned the first opamp into a regular fixed gain stage and made the whole thing fuzzy at the end with a couple of diodes.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It looks like a schematic I can fake my way through figuring out...they are by far my weak point in this game...its why I never breadboard anything I just go right to etching boards.....

I put a switch for the 47k resistor....with it removed from the circuit (mine anyways) I hear no change on any setting....should the switch position that removes the resistor just leave that portion disconnected or should it be connected with no resistance? I left it disconnected.

anchovie

Disconnecting the 47K from pin 6 should turn it into a fuzzy slap-back echo with delay time varied by the pot. The other end of the 47K can stay where it is, so you only need a SPST switch.

Canucker

Quote from: anchovie on March 13, 2014, 07:47:51 AM
Disconnecting the 47K from pin 6 should turn it into a fuzzy slap-back echo with delay time varied by the pot. The other end of the 47K can stay where it is, so you only need a SPST switch.

I disconnected the 47k resistor from pin 15 and added the spst between them. If I disconnect at pin six does that mean that R1 (1k resistor) is also to be disconnected from pin 6?

I connected this little monster to my Atari Punk Console today....not the earth shattering effect results I thought it might have but it was still pretty fun with high tones. Much more chaotic with guitar.

anchovie

Quote from: Canucker on March 14, 2014, 12:32:06 AMI disconnected the 47k resistor from pin 15 and added the spst between them. If I disconnect at pin six does that mean that R1 (1k resistor) is also to be disconnected from pin 6?

No, the 1K + pot on pin 6 is needed otherwise nothing is setting the delay time. The 47K sends the squared input signal into the delay time pin to mess it up somewhat. If you're disconnecting at pin 15 that's the same consequence, as you're breaking that connection that sends the audio into pin 6.

beedoola

Quote from: peterg on November 02, 2013, 01:02:43 PM

My take on Anchovie's great Noise Ensemble circuit.

Do you have a computer drawn schematic of this or a layout? Much thanks, I'm just having trouble reading it.

peterg

Sorry I don't. Let me know what you need clarified.

novusabeo

Old topic == hope someones still out there

Really cool circuit. Hooked her up through my arduino and found out a few interesting things.

If you connect a loose lead (just one end connected) (assuming you've breadboarded) or solder a loose lead from pin 6 of the IC running the original noise bomb (maybe the new one too) schematic and touch the other end -- you have a touch controlled surface that creates a pretty cool soft distortion. Sounds really cool. It also seems to activate the modulation if you tap it - creating kind of an interactive surface.

I'm not all that experienced in the ways of electronics but has anyone else tried this?
and/or
maybe found a way to create a switching system to turn it on and off within the schematic and not just as a touchable surface?

novusabeo

Based on the original noise ensemble circuit I meant to say******

Not the noise bomb (maybe both - haven't built the noise bomb yet!)

BluffChill

I've just built one of these and made a few mods, and it's pretty sweet! About to sketch out a Vero layout. One thing I would like to do is make the gate for the input a bit less sensitive - at the moment I have to play guitar incredibly hard to get any sound out of it. How would I do this?
Kits & Pedals! EctoVerb - HyperLight - Shagpile - http://bluffchilldevices.bigcartel.com/

anchovie

Quote from: BluffChill on October 26, 2016, 03:06:53 PM
I've just built one of these and made a few mods, and it's pretty sweet! About to sketch out a Vero layout. One thing I would like to do is make the gate for the input a bit less sensitive - at the moment I have to play guitar incredibly hard to get any sound out of it. How would I do this?

Stick a booster in front of it - nearly all my guitars have really high output pickups so I never had trouble getting the comparator input stage to trigger, but if yours need a bit of help then putting a LPB or similar in front is only a few extra parts.

Nice-T

Sorry for raising the dead topic.

I built my noise ensemble long time ago but i have found myself playing with it a lot lately, still like it. But i was thinking it would be nice to add some kind of blend pot to mix the effect and dry signal. I tried some stuff but it didn't work as planned. anyone have any suggestions?

BetterOffShred

So oldie but a goodie here ..

The guy from Dirge (great dude, great pedals) makes a 2399 distortion delay called "slowly melting" and looking at it and going back through this thread I was thinking it's probably based on this.  Anyone checked one out yet?

He even has a "shambles" control