EHX Revivals & More... Have your say

Started by Scruffie, October 12, 2010, 01:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

As some of you may have noticed, i've been re-drawing the hard to read schematics of the Vintage EHX Pedals and also played a part in the Run of the Bad Stone PCBs being produced and I wondered if people would like to see some other Vintage EHX effects brought back from the brink of extinction in professional pcb form...? I've always thought it was a shame that alot of there effects have been lost and are either in the hands of collectors gathering dust or just don't have re-newed interest in projects for them.

So vote for one or two (Just post the names of the 2 you want to vote for, couldn't see how to poll) I'm not making promises but i'd atleast like an idea to see if I should. There's also a few other ideas I had... one is the Guyatone FL-3 Flanger to fit into a 1590B enclosure (A battery would probably fit too if you stuck the jacks under the PCB like the MXR Micro Flangers, or would just fit if you used a 125B). The second idea is the BOSS VB-2 with the Hold Function converted to a more available OTA chip... and a few more standard projects... There's also another choice or two but I'm not going to post them untill I get the go ahead from the relevant parties.

All the boards will be for board mounted pots and be dual sided (possibly 4-layer, depends) with silk screen and probably simmilar in cost to the Bad Stone boards depending on size and interest warranting larger quantity orders... some mods may be applied to the originals to overcome any issues they may have (such as the LPB-1 added on the Bad Stone because of the volume drop or conversions to easier find chips)

If you have any suggestions for other EHX Pedals that I might have missed or not known about aslong as there is some form of schematic about i'll look into them.

1 ) EHX Pulsar Tremolo (Original Version, With Mods & Improvements, including optional LFO time LED, Gain Trimmer, Buffers and click/tick reducing precautions, to fit a 1590B)
2 ) EHX Zipper (Envelope Filter)
3 ) EHX Double Tracker (Analog Slap Back Delay Converted to V3205, Most likely to fit a 1590B)
4 ) EHX Octave Multiplexer (Analog Octave Down, Hopefully to fit a 1590B, decided against the Deluxe Version fow now to avoid the extra OTA)
5 ) EHX Frequency Analyzer (With Charge Pump instead of 40V Supply & Converted to the more easily obtainable MC1496 Chip)
6 ) EHX Clone Theory (MN3007 Version with Charge Pump)
7 ) EHX Deluxe Big Muff (Basically an Op-Amp Big Muff with Black Finger Compressor, Charge Pump to Avoid Bipolar Supply, Not sure which version to do)
8 ) EHX Small Clone (To Fit a 1590B, For either MN3007 or 3207 with onboard mod options)
9 ) BOSS VB-2 Vibrato (Hold Function Converted to use LM13700 or CA3080E)
10 ) MXR M-117 Flanger (Converted to MN3007 and Charge Pump...Mulling this one over still as an idea...)
11 ) Pearl OC-7 (Analog Octave Up & Down)
12 ) PT2399 Delay with Modulation (To Fit a 1590B, think DIY EHX Memory Toy)
13 ) Guyatone FL-3 Flanger (To Fit a 1590B, Uses the 3207, 3102 combo with added Regen Pot probably ala Soldermans Mod)
14 ) To be Confirmed...

(The EHX Pedals i've already vetoed - EHX Attack Decay, EHX Micro Synth, EHX Deluxe Octave Multiplexer, EHX Polyphase, EHX Deluxe Memory Man (I think this project is being undertaken by someone else already) EHX Electric Mistress (The TZF version is too much of an undertaking and I'd rather see that in production than the usual one) EHX Echo Flanger and its variants, Small Stone, Compressors and any of the other EHX Effects that are already popular anyway such as LPB1s, Big Muffs etc.)

Jaicen_solo

My vote is for numbers 4 and 11, gotta love those octave pedals!

karter2000

I'm all for 4 and 11 as well, as I want to build an octave pedal.

Scruffie

It musn't be forgotten though that Taylor I beleive is about to release boards for the Simplified BOSS OC-2 (Unless i'm mistaken Taylor?)

So choosing an Octave for the sake of an Octave Pedal might not be necessary.

Jaicen_solo

True, but these do +/- 1 Oct, the OC2 only does -1.
They're also very different beasts in terms of how they work, so all worth building in my view.

Scruffie

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on October 12, 2010, 03:22:50 PM
True, but these do +/- 1 Oct, the OC2 only does -1.
They're also very different beasts in terms of how they work, so all worth building in my view.
The Multiplexer only does -1 just to note.

But yeah they are different beasts, I always held an interest in the Pearl.

Barcode80

I was just recently digging up Pearl schems for that one, i'd love a board for that octaver. But these are all fine choices.

Ry

I recently revived a vintage Frequency Analyzer.  It's surprisingly great, almost as good as the Maestro Ring Mod clone I built years ago.  This pedal should not be overlooked.

jkokura

I think I might be most tempted to build the MXR M117 Flanger personally. I don't think I'd build much else on the list.

That said, I'm sure others would be interested in them. It's a great idea

Jacob

Strategy

Polychorus/Echoflanger
Handclap machine (forget the exact name though...not clap trap. Clap Track?)

while I'm brainstorming other vintagey pedals lost to the sands of time:
Mu-Tron Octave Divider (I know, people/forums have tried)
Foxx guitar synth pedal (??)
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

Scruffie

Quote from: Strategy on October 12, 2010, 05:45:03 PM
Polychorus/Echoflanger

The Polychorys/EchoFlanger i'm afraid is in the Vetoe list (atleast for the moment) big undertaking as it needs converting to the MN3007 properly with proper verification, it'd be a long job, i'll look into the Clap Track although that might be a bit of a specific effect and a complex build as you'd need something for the pad.

Could do the Octave Divider but i'd rather do the Pearl OC-7 (wasn't the Mutron just an Octave down with a green ringer?) The Foxx, dunno that one, i'll look at it.

Edit:
Can't find schematics for either the Foxx or the Clap Track, any idea if they can even be found?

jefe

Quote from: Scruffie on October 12, 2010, 01:18:21 PM

Intrigued.. is this the one with the tube?

Scruffie

Quote from: jefe on October 12, 2010, 06:13:33 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on October 12, 2010, 01:18:21 PM

Intrigued.. is this the one with the tube?
Nope, the original 70s version, completely different design, the sound should be simmilar to the EHX Queen Triggered Wah, by all accounts this is a great Envelope Filter.

Taylor

I'd like to see a Frequency Analyzer board with the changed power supply. Would nicely compliment my Ring Stinger, which doesn't clean up that well.

Strategy

I'll poke around for the clap schematic. It may be highly similar to the Boss HC-2 but the EHX clap is very distinctive and on a lot of interesting records ala Cabaret Voltaire, 70s and early 80s type electronic punk type stuff. The pads for those things tend to be very simple in a lot of case based around your typical piezo. An input jack to the trigger inp on the board is likely to do just as well...

Mutron Octave Divider is indeed a low octave + green ringer, but known to be highly stable in tracking by comparison to others. I'm sort of a mutron freak, so perhaps I'm in a minority of thinking that's a nice project.

Thanks for hearing out the suggestions! I understand re: Polychorus too complex.

Quote from: Scruffie on October 12, 2010, 05:51:21 PM
Quote from: Strategy on October 12, 2010, 05:45:03 PM
Polychorus/Echoflanger

The Polychorys/EchoFlanger i'm afraid is in the Vetoe list (atleast for the moment) big undertaking as it needs converting to the MN3007 properly with proper verification, it'd be a long job, i'll look into the Clap Track although that might be a bit of a specific effect and a complex build as you'd need something for the pad.

Could do the Octave Divider but i'd rather do the Pearl OC-7 (wasn't the Mutron just an Octave down with a green ringer?) The Foxx, dunno that one, i'll look at it.

Edit:
Can't find schematics for either the Foxx or the Clap Track, any idea if they can even be found?
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

RonaldB

I would love to see boards for the EHX attack decay, EHX tube zipper, EHX microsynth and numbers 4 and 11.

RonaldB

Gladmarr

I know this isn't even on the list and would be a monster, but 16 Second Delay!!

The reissue just didn't hit the mark.....

derevaun

2 (Zipper) and 8 (Small Clone) seem like the biggest payoff to me. Cheers in any case!

StephenGiles

No 4 but the deluxe version, because that has the Guitar Synth Fundamental Extractor and tracked very well indeed. There were 2 versions of this.

The standard Octave Multiplexer was useless.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mark Hammer

The Y-Triggered Filter, while not the world's greatest envelope-controlled filter, isn't half bad, provides up and down sweep and some degree of control over resonance.  Perhaps equally important, it uses pretty much easily available or substitutable parts.  I've always wanted to clone it, but the original drawing is appalling.  A re-draw would be a big help in figuring out how to lay out the parts on perf.

Here are some pics I did of the board on mine.  You will note that I changed a couple parts for "higher quality" components.  Everything else - including most of the "flying components" - is stock.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/YTF-labelledmirror-imagecopperside.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/ytf_co1.jpg

Anything that brings me a step closer to the goal is deeply appreciated.