EHX Revivals & More... Have your say

Started by Scruffie, October 12, 2010, 01:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 13, 2010, 08:30:42 AM
The Y-Triggered Filter, while not the world's greatest envelope-controlled filter, isn't half bad, provides up and down sweep and some degree of control over resonance.  Perhaps equally important, it uses pretty much easily available or substitutable parts.  I've always wanted to clone it, but the original drawing is appalling.  A re-draw would be a big help in figuring out how to lay out the parts on perf.

Here are some pics I did of the board on mine.  You will note that I changed a couple parts for "higher quality" components.  Everything else - including most of the "flying components" - is stock.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/YTF-labelledmirror-imagecopperside.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/ytf_co1.jpg

Anything that brings me a step closer to the goal is deeply appreciated.
Cheers Mark, that was actually underway as a schematic re-draw & conversion to CA3080 instead of 3094, those pictures will be very handy!
I think i'd pick the Zipper for the actual fabbed project just because it's the more complex and supposedly better but someone else contacted me and should be working on a shrunk down original layout once we've confirmed the schematic etc. so that one is in the works.

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 13, 2010, 07:27:33 AM
No 4 but the deluxe version, because that has the Guitar Synth Fundamental Extractor and tracked very well indeed. There were 2 versions of this.

The standard Octave Multiplexer was useless.
Well I did decide against it for the moment, but maybe I should take another look at that one, I didn't realise the Deluxe version had an improved Fundamental Extractor system, I assumed they both used the same one and the Deluxe just had added features. If someone could leand a hand with prototyping the boards that might push me in the right direction.

Quote from: Gladmarr on October 13, 2010, 12:52:47 AM
I know this isn't even on the list and would be a monster, but 16 Second Delay!!

The reissue just didn't hit the mark.....
No idea where we'd get the original chips for that bad boy, I think that one really is a case of buy it or don't have it sadly.

Quote from: RonaldB on October 13, 2010, 12:36:02 AM
I would love to see boards for the EHX attack decay, EHX tube zipper, EHX microsynth and numbers 4 and 11.

RonaldB
Attack Decay & Micro Synth are both out for being too complex (and apparently the Attack Decay is fairly useless to actually use) and the Tube Zipper is a current production pedal anyway so that's a no (also with the transformer and high voltages and so on)... don't wanna step on Puretubes toes there too.

4 & 11 are seeming popular,  if someone agrees to help build up a prototype board and help check layouts then that'll be between the Deluxe Octave Multiplexer & Pearl OC-7... I think the current boards in the race are in no particular order -
1) Deluxe Octave Multiplexer
2) Pearl OC-7
3) Zipper
4) Guyatone Flanger (cause I wanna 1590B Flanger and a boards already been drawn up... but I wont let that stop another run)
5) Frequency Analyzer
6) One of the Choruses
7) MXR Flanger

Projects I hope to arrange off fabrication -
Slap Back Delay for V3205 & Y-Triggered Filter
+
Quote from: Strategy on October 13, 2010, 12:08:42 AM
I'll poke around for the clap schematic. It may be highly similar to the Boss HC-2 but the EHX clap is very distinctive and on a lot of interesting records ala Cabaret Voltaire, 70s and early 80s type electronic punk type stuff. The pads for those things tend to be very simple in a lot of case based around your typical piezo. An input jack to the trigger inp on the board is likely to do just as well...

If you find that schematic, i'm definitley interested in bringing it into some form of the DIY world, i'm gunna have to learn how to do PCBs out of Express PCB for these last Three though...

I'm suprised there hasn't been much interest for the VB-2... but that woulda been a pain anyway probably.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Scruffie on October 13, 2010, 09:17:20 AM
I'm suprised there hasn't been much interest for the VB-2... but that woulda been a pain anyway probably.
Well, Behringer has a cheap clone available for those who crave it, and BYOC has a kit, so the motivation is no that high.  As well, I think the appetite for vibrato, and particularly a gradual vibrato (which is the unique feature of the VB-2) is a niche market.  My sense is that the intent of the VB-2 was originally to appeal to folks who wanted to be able to mimic the introduction of LFO modulation with a thumbwheel on a synth.

StephenGiles

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 13, 2010, 08:30:42 AM
The Y-Triggered Filter, while not the world's greatest envelope-controlled filter, isn't half bad, provides up and down sweep and some degree of control over resonance.  Perhaps equally important, it uses pretty much easily available or substitutable parts.  I've always wanted to clone it, but the original drawing is appalling.  A re-draw would be a big help in figuring out how to lay out the parts on perf.

Here are some pics I did of the board on mine.  You will note that I changed a couple parts for "higher quality" components.  Everything else - including most of the "flying components" - is stock.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/YTF-labelledmirror-imagecopperside.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/ytf_co1.jpg

Anything that brings me a step closer to the goal is deeply appreciated.

The VCF formed around the CA3094 looks very complicated the way it was drawn, although as you say is half decent. An update using an LM13600 might be interesting, although an SSM 2164 might just be simpler!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Scruffie

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 13, 2010, 09:39:04 AM
Well, Behringer has a cheap clone available for those who crave it, and BYOC has a kit, so the motivation is no that high.  As well, I think the appetite for vibrato, and particularly a gradual vibrato (which is the unique feature of the VB-2) is a niche market.  My sense is that the intent of the VB-2 was originally to appeal to folks who wanted to be able to mimic the introduction of LFO modulation with a thumbwheel on a synth.
True, perhaps efforts would be better spent on a rehousing project for the Behringer one with improvements (not by myself mind) I think the BYOC has been discontinued since but yeah it is a niche but it always seemed to be one of those 'holy-grail' effects to me that people lusted after but weren't willing to shed out for the costs due to the limited quantity of the pedals still in circulation, I suppose it wouldn't be much different from doing a SG-1 run and not many people would probably go for that either.

Anyway, i'm gunna get to work on drawing this Y-Filter schematic out and then conversion can be sorted out after when we can actually read half of what it says.

Any other schematics that particularly need re-drawing while i'm here?

StephenGiles

Quote from: Scruffie on October 13, 2010, 09:50:22 AM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 13, 2010, 09:39:04 AM
True, perhaps efforts would be better spent on a rehousing project for the Behringer one with improvements (not by myself mind) I think the BYOC has been discontinued since but yeah it is a niche but it always seemed to be one of those 'holy-grail' effects to me that people lusted after but weren't willing to shed out for the costs due to the limited quantity of the pedals still in circulation, I suppose it wouldn't be much different from doing a SG-1 run and not many people would probably go for that either.

Anyway, i'm gunna get to work on drawing this Y-Filter schematic out and then conversion can be sorted out after when we can actually read half of what it says.

Any other schematics that particularly need re-drawing while i'm here?

A redraw of the YTF would be welcome, just taken another look at the factory circuit and it's appalling to say the least!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Hides-His-Eyes

I'd love the VB2 but to be honest I think I might just be better rehousing a behringer for TB!

Watching with interest but I'll let you guys decide what'd be best :)

Barcode80

I'ld build up test/proto board(s) for the octaves if need be.

puretube

...Attack Decay & Micro Synth are both out for being too complex (and apparently the Attack Decay is fairly useless to actually use) and the Tube Zipper is a current production pedal anyway so that's a no (also with the transformer and high voltages and so on)... don't wanna step on Puretubes toes there too.

Thanxs...  :icon_wink:  :icon_smile:

Taylor

Is that you, Ton? In a suit with your hair slicked back? So different from the style you are normally rocking!  8)

Rodgre

I think the original Zipper is a pretty fantastic sounding envelope filter. Really unique sounding to my ears.

I'm sad that the Attack Decay is so complex for what it does. I know that the Pigtronix Attack/Sustain and the new Philosopher King are updated versions as far as I've been told. For a one-trick pony, I love the sound of that box. Too bad that trick isn't worth $500 to me.

Vetoed, but I second that the modern version 16 Second Delay is not as cool and trashy sounding as the original.

Roger

dmc777

Double Tracking delay......I've always been curious about these and the schematic doesn't look that hard.

Also, this isn't new but the POG seems to always intrigue me. I have schematics for most of current production products as well. Excluding the new memory boys, freeze, etc....just the ones before all the newer clone versions.

Taylor

Quote from: dmc777 on October 14, 2010, 02:55:08 AM
Double Tracking delay......I've always been curious about these and the schematic doesn't look that hard.

Also, this isn't new but the POG seems to always intrigue me. I have schematics for most of current production products as well. Excluding the new memory boys, freeze, etc....just the ones before all the newer clone versions.

POG, HOG, etc. are digital, so not good candidates for PCB projects.

Scruffie

Okay... think i've decided... aslong as the other parties involved in the boards agree,
1st We'll do the Zipper as it's simpler and shouldn't take too long to breadboard to verify the schematic is correct.
2nd We'll do the Dlx Octave Multiplexer, due to its need for conversion first before it can even be verified and breadboarded and just the general size of it.

On the side, hopefully DIY projects for the Double Track Delay, Frequency Analyzer & Y-Triggered Can be Arranged, but probably not in fabbed form (although someone else could take them off our hands, i'd happily collaborate in any way I can help).

Cheers for the help everyone!

Edit: And Oh, if anyone finds that Clap Track schematic, pass it on and i'll re-draw it, I wanna give that one a go...

Strategy

Here's a not free, but not very expensive version of clap track schematic:

http://ronsound.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_18

I'm literally not in a position to spend a cent for a couple weeks as I just moved house and am dealing with the expenses associated with that, but life should return to normal after that at which point I'll pick up the schem if no free one has been found.

- Strategy
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

Scruffie

Quote from: Strategy on October 14, 2010, 04:00:59 PM
Here's a not free, but not very expensive version of clap track schematic:

http://ronsound.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_18

I'm literally not in a position to spend a cent for a couple weeks as I just moved house and am dealing with the expenses associated with that, but life should return to normal after that at which point I'll pick up the schem if no free one has been found.

- Strategy
I'm in exactly the same situation myself! (although I can't even move into my new place which is proving expensive too).

I'll keep looking around for it too though.

azrael

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on October 12, 2010, 01:20:52 PM
My vote is for numbers 4 and 11, gotta love those octave pedals!
Same vote for these two!

Mark Hammer

To your initial list, I will also add the original Polyphase.  If you look around, the posted factory schematics for it are uuuuhhhhhhhggg-LEEEE and desperately in need of a legible redraw.

The Polyphase included a number of features that people are still interested in, including envelope-controlled sweep rate.

Strategy

+1 to Mark's suggestion - I'd forgotten about that one!

A friend of mine has a polyphase which came to us as just an de-boxed pcb with everything attached to it...just wires and knobs hanging off it, etc.- we reboxed it and fixed some broken joints and traces and it works nicely - is one of the coolest phasers I have messed around with. We have not added a CV input but this would be fairly easy to add as a mod on a new version.

The phaser almost as a vocal formant wah filter type sound to it and reacts very interestingly in combination with auto wahs, synth filters, wah sounds, etc. - very "vocal" sounding

- strategy
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

Scruffie

The Polyphase was on the Vetoe list, for a few reasons...
1) Already a decent project for it here - http://topopiccione.atspace.com/PJ17EHPolyphase.html
2) Finding the right LED/LDRs & Thermistors for it (It says you can use vactrols but they're expensive)
3) Just did a Phaser

Although if necessary I can re-draw the schematic (although it's hardly the worst from EHX!)

Jaicen_solo

Would that be the BadStone PCB that's hopefully winging it's way to my doorstep?

On another note, I wonder if you've considered doing an EHX Graphic Fuzz? That's certainly a project I could get interested in if you can mount the pots on the board.