Toshiba 1s1588 Diodes

Started by soupbone, October 16, 2010, 06:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

Does anybody know to get Toshiba 1s1588 Diodes?I found 1 place,I ordered them,and a week later they sent me an email saying;This product is discontinued. :icon_cry:

soupbone

i know NTE has a replacement for them,I'm just wondering how close they are to the old one's. :icon_question:

soupbone

Earthscum

PPP also carries them: http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=4024&Category_Code=DIO

They are more expensive, but they look like the ones I've come across in some older equipment, if their picture is correct (which they have been since I've been ordering from them).
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

soupbone

The one's I'm looking for are clear and have blue stripe.Analogman has been looking for them too..

Greg_G

Quote from: soupbone on October 19, 2010, 06:07:14 AM
The one's I'm looking for are clear and have blue stripe.Analogman has been looking for them too..

They're hard to find.
Salvage is probably the best option..
I have an old Space Invaders machine here that has about a hundred in it... I'm sure it won't notice if they're 1N914's.
;D

soupbone

True :icon_smile:.I'm going to try Eartscum's link.They're only .28 cents a piece!!

soupbone

I meant G's link.The one's at mouser are a little pricey.

soapamp

1n1588 blue strip it's still available in Japan but price increase a lot.  2 or 3 years ago, they sold 50pcs/bag at Yen800-1,000.  Last year, 20pcs sold at Yen800.

Joseph

Quote from: soapamp on October 21, 2010, 07:55:49 PM
1n1588 blue strip it's still available in Japan but price increase a lot.  2 or 3 years ago, they sold 50pcs/bag at Yen800-1,000.  Last year, 20pcs sold at Yen800.
you might check mammothelectronics.com , they are bringing in quite a few diodes as of late.

ScienceFriction

I actually need some of those for my Boss OD-1 clone I'm working on, so if anyone gets some and they test out okay please report back.  Or, if anyone wants to find a way to get a bunch of the clear, blue stripe ones from Japan or somewhere I'm in on getting some.

Greg_G

I think you'll find there's a Chinese manufacturer making a copy.
I don't believe the Toshiba ones have been available for many years.. probably decades.

Mark Hammer

I know they're used in a wide array of Japan-derived circuits, but what exactly is different about them that they deserve all this desperate search?  Is there no equivalent?

Earthscum

I'm curious as well. I had ordered some BAV21 diodes from Tayda, datasheet makes them appear to be 4148/914 replacements. I just figured I'd get them 'cause I can use diodes, and they were cheap enough. They barely sound different than the 4148's, but in a BMP they take off the highest frequencies that I usually have to shave off with feedback caps. Just barely a subtle difference, but in the realm of ear fatigue during long jams, they sound to be a big improvement to me.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

soapamp

Quote from: ScienceFriction on October 21, 2010, 10:29:16 PM
I actually need some of those for my Boss OD-1 clone I'm working on, so if anyone gets some and they test out okay please report back.  Or, if anyone wants to find a way to get a bunch of the clear, blue stripe ones from Japan or somewhere I'm in on getting some.

Do you build with IC 14 pins version.?  If yes, I used JRC3403 NOS, Gloss Body, Diode 1n4148.  The sound is is very good.

1n1588 blue strip, they are two color of blue strip. The new one that I saw last year is navy blue strip. The old one is sky blue.

ScienceFriction

Yeah, it's a 14 pin Raytheon IC I'm using for my build.  I have other diodes, but I figure if someone came across a work a like or the real deal 1s1588 diodes I'd like to try those out too.  Are the Chinese copies worth trying?

Mark Hammer

Here is a datasheet for the 1S1588:  http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/1/S/1/5/1S1588.shtml

Here are datsheets for the 1N914:  http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/1/N/9/1/1N914.shtml

Will somebody PLEASE tell me what is the critical difference between them?  I'm not saying there isn't a difference.  I just don't know what particular characteristics, other than being made by a Japanese manufacturer, resulted in their selection and use.  If there is something unique or optimal abut them, fine.  But if the characteristics critical to our normal uses are identical in hard-to-get vs easy/cheap-to-get diodes, why drive ourselves crazy about them?

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 22, 2010, 02:38:17 PM
Will somebody PLEASE tell me what is the critical difference between them?
About 25 cents a piece.  :icon_rolleyes: :icon_lol: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_lol:
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

aquataur

This is a high speed switching diode. Looking at its virtues, it has a 4ns switching time and 3pf capacity.
Looking at the National Semiconductor data sheet for a 1N4148 we discover, that this also is a high speed switching diode with 4ns 4pf.
Besides that, they tell you it´s identical to 1N914.

This is not my humble opinion, the datasheet tells so.

A 1N400x btw is a VASTLY different diode. It is dramatically slower and has higher capacitance. Any MOSFET intrinsic diode is very very much slower.

For a circuit demanding this diode, the 1n4148 is a perfect substitute. I can imagine that a fast diode does react differently than a slow one, so a diode with comparable speed/capacity will produce comparable results. Anything beyond that I do not believe.

I guess the 1s1588 was chosen, because this was ubiquitous in the place/time  the circuit was designed, no other reason.

have fun,

-helmut

diaries of GAS http://me.aquataur.guru