DIY Fuzz Face Extremely low Output

Started by Phildog, March 04, 2013, 04:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phildog

Hello All!

This is my first post as a new member. Great site you guys have here. Hope to stay a long time and learn a ton.

Anyway, I received this DIY FF that was thrown in along with some other gear. I installed a fresh 9v, then plugged it in stand alone from the pedalboard. I get the bypass signal fine, but when I engage the pedal, the volume is so low, that I have to dime the volume pot. When I do, I can hear the Fuzz effect. So not knowing anything about the build or solder skills, I reflowed the solder on all of the joints, hoping that there was a cold one somewhere. But I noticed no change. So, I'll tell you everything I know about the build, and maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Oh, if it matters, this build was done with a plastic enclosure. I don't know if that matters in reference to grounds, so I thought I'd mention it.

I believe the FF is based on the build from the site referenced below...

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/fuzzface.php

Here are the pics...

I've never seen a pedal built into a plastic enclosure before, so I'm assuming that is the grounds location where you see the 4 to 5 wires soldered on. Should I get a metal enclosure? If this IS a ground issue, would a metal enclosure work?

Like I said, the volume is extremely low. And I'd love to get this working properly. I hope the pics are clear enough, and that I explained things in a way that you could understand.

ALSO, FORGIVE ME IF THIS HAS BEEN COVERED ALREADY. I TRIED TO DO A SEARCH, BUT FOUND NOTHING THAT RELATES TO THIS ISSUE HERE.

LucifersTrip

no need to get a metal enclosure...it'd only be better for sturdiness and shielding "noise"

but for this:

...and welcome!
always think outside the box

kingswayguitar

I can't exactly help but I built many fuzz faces and one of them had this problem.  Good tone, everything A1 except low output...I mean, come on...a fuzz face is a crazy mo-fo.  I just tell myself it's relaxed.

As for grounding, it's typical to ground a battery powered pedal to the jacks, not the enclosure.  Looking at your first picture, that attachment to the enclosure is doing nothing good, but there's a direct connection to the jack via the red wire on the right hand side.  Try detaching that ground fixture and just ensure a good connection to the jack.

LucifersTrip

you just reminded me...I've had this problem a few times and it was always caused by a poor connection, usually the guitar plug going into the jack....double check the jacks and the wiring of the jacks.

also, gentle jiggle all components on the board
always think outside the box

rousejeremy

Could you possibly post a pic of the underside of the board as well?
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com