"Sewer Pipes Ring-Verb" Simple PT2399 One-Knob Effect

Started by Earthscum, November 15, 2010, 02:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cilantro666

Just built this but I noticed it doesn't work well with other pedals. Sometimes it works and sometimes I just get loud oscillation. Also if I plug in my guitar, halfway I guess this is just to ground I also get a very oscillation. I'm wondering if I have it wired wrong although I don't think so. I'm getting a bread board today and going to try to start over and see where I get. I like noise and I like loud so I'd like to try to be able to use this oscillation predictably

ElectricDruid

Welcome Cilantro!

Can you post the circuit you used? The original schematics from this thread have all disappeared for me (it was a while ago, let's face it..;) )

Getting a delay circuit to oscillate isn't generally too hard, but like you say, it helps if it's predictable, and it shouldn't happen all the time. That would be a fault.

bluebunny

Here's the original schematic that David posted:

This is one with the optional resonance control in-circuit.  Not sure who drew it.

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

noisette

This is a really funky circuit, I think it came about more by tinkering than proper circuit design (which isn´t a bad thing necessarily, Fuzzface comes to mind!), but iirc you have to experiment a bit until it fits for you.
The basic idea is to modulate the delay time with the ac audio signal, there´s a lot of possible interesting configurations if you play around I think you will not be disappointed! :)
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
― Kurt Vonnegut

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Cilantro666

This is the layout I used. I replaced the 33k the first one to 10k

duck_arse

the 10uF at the input on that layout is backwards, even tho it has no pulldown resistor on it. as shown, the (-) of that cap will have the +2V5 or so from the PT2399 internal opamps bias, and the (+) of the cap will be [either grounded via a pulldown resistor or] connected to your pickups [or preceeding fx, with pulldown on output] which will have 0 DC Volts. hence, backwards.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

bluebunny

^^ Quite right.  My own layout (ancient history) also had the same mistake.  :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...