News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

10+ years?

Started by Jered, October 01, 2003, 04:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jered

10+ years experience building pedals and he is selling boxes that look like this?  10+ years??????????      Jered
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2561096510&category=41416

Ge_Whiz

Yeah, but come on - a BLUE LED - wow. :wink:

Doug H

What's a "Zvex Fulltone"?? Is that a new pedal I haven't heard of??

Doug

BILLYL

HOW DOES HE DO IT???????? :roll:

BETTER YET - WHY DOES HE DO IT??????  :shock:

RDV

I've considered doing what he's doing, but no way would I put something that "butt ugly" out there. No way.

Regards

RDV

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Good to see some of that 'old iron' from MotorCity being recycled!
- and good luck to ANYONE crazy enough to sell pedals.

petemoore

Just put some electrical tape over the extra holes? Gess that last ckt. had to bbe pulled...grounding problem maybe...
   but squares pack better [IMO].
 My Name....My Name is....My Name is:...  ... Juan Cortelue Cordova...Gueliermo Cortez Quintapalas... ... Cleaz Emanuel Zintar...Escovan Zimbafalos Rendozi...Carlosa Zanzibar Clandesto.
 Whew, ... them Fumes really get to ya after a while....
 And now for another one of Detroit's pfhinest!!!!
 Saving money on enclosures means more attention was spent procuring only the finest ckt components???
  Ya never know...might be werth something someday...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gez

Sod's Law says it'll sound f*cking brilliant - time to take a mallet to some of my enclosures!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

R.G.

10 years... sigh. Do you think he's just not been watching?

A 1590BB or clone thereoff would set him back well under $10.

Actually, I should take notice. If he's a very experienced effects maker, I could easily call myself the father of the boutique effect. 8-)
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

The Tone God

I've been playing with effects for more the 10 years and I have NEVER made something that bad looking. I do have some respect for the work I put in to make an effect.

I wonder if Mr. Vex likes being associated with Fulltone and this product ? ;)

Other laughs I've had looking at stuff from EBay:

It like their stuff but better!!! I don't know how its bettter but it is!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2561296113&category=22669

I remember mentioning this guy before for name spaming (i.e. "like zvex fulltone"), good  thing he solved the problem by now saying "not zvex fulltone". Now without those names I have to wonder if its any good now ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2561828729&category=41416

I didn't know that either Zvex, Lovetone, Colorsound, MXR made Kazoos:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2562078840&category=22669

Just a few laughs. :)

Andrew

Samuel

Yeah and the photoshopped lens flare over the LED is SO BUSTED. I mean c'mon.

amz-fx

RDV

The yellow LED is different. :wink:

Right(get em' Z.)

RDV

Rob Strand

Well it does look crappy, but at the end of the day who care what it looks like.  IMHO, more effects should be unpainted diecast boxes if that makes them cheaper.  Mind you the colour helps you work out which one to kick.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Samuel

I have to say I really do like the paint job on some of the standard Hammond Boxed ones.

Peter Snowberg

I'm very against direct clones and then even naming the original in the adds. That's tacky. Using the names for listing like that is pretty sub-questionable, especially in the case of the kazoo!!

On the other side, for any circuit that is actully his (isn't the 'crackle okay' SHO actually a preamp from an old console?), I have to give him credit for producing and selling boxes. Marshall did start with a 100% clone of a Fender; a company started with a design lifted lock-stock-and-barrell from Western Electric data sheets. Capitalism is just inherently that way. :(

I do think the purple electical box is seriously unprofessional and BUTT UGLY, but he has a bid on it at $75, so what do I know? His electrical box TS has a $99 bid on it and it's only slightly less ugly becaue it's black.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Steve C

Quote from: The Tone God

I remember mentioning this guy before for name spaming (i.e. "like zvex fulltone"), good  thing he solved the problem by now saying "not zvex fulltone". Now without those names I have to wonder if its any good now ?

On a site where people generally find what they're looking for by way of a search engine, I don't think it's unorthodox to use other manufacturers in your title, especially if nobody knows who you are.  I don't blame them for doing it.  Hell! I'd probably do it too.  It would be different if it was their website.

Are you really disgusted with the persons poor marketing skills, their ugly enclosures, or just the fact that he/she is making money off something any of us could do?

The Tone God

Quote from: Steve COn a site where people generally find what they're looking for by way of a search engine, I don't think it's unorthodox to use other manufacturers in your title, especially if nobody knows who you are.  I don't blame them for doing it.  Hell! I'd probably do it too.  It would be different if it was their website.

I personally don't have a problem with it, anonying as it can be, although the holders of those trademarks may. It is against Ebay's TOS to use name spam. Thats why I pointed it out.

QuoteAre you really disgusted with the persons poor marketing skills, their ugly enclosures, or just the fact that he/she is making money off something any of us could do?

None of the above. If they can make a proper buck doing this then I wish them good luck.

Andrew

Paul Marossy

You would think he would be a little more aware of asthetics and physical size if he has "been making effects for professional musicians for over ten years.."
I personally wouldn't put anything that big or ugly on my pedal board. If it sounded great, I would give the circuit a new home. I hate big bulky effects.  :!:

RDV

Yeah, if I had my way I'd put everything in 'B' size boxes. I fit a rocket in one, but with no battery. I just ordered a 1590BB for the first time cause I've built something that needs 2 switches(dual MosFet booster). SmallBears's wild mouse size box is a nice compromise.

Regardamundo

RDV