What Constitutes A "Boutique" Grade Pedal?

Started by thomasthebuzzard, December 06, 2010, 11:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefe

Quote from: edvard on December 06, 2010, 03:29:19 PM
P.S. Don't neglect the Pictures thread...

Good advice. Check it out here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.14580

Take some time to browse through that thread. It's not just a bunch of pretty pictures.. people constantly ask things like "hey, how did you do those graphics?", and most folks will graciously reveal how they did it. TONS of info in that thread.

DougH

I can't define boutique and won't attempt to. You'll have to ask your potential customer what he means by that.

However, if you are interested in finishing techniques, I would highly recommend spending some time in the pictures thread. There are some very cool ideas in there and lots of links to instructions on how to do them. It's a very big thread jam-packed with a lot of great ideas.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 06, 2010, 05:10:10 PM
Thanks man. I totally get it (because of the last post. speaking of beating something into the ground.). I also should mention that I posed the question not only for myself but for beginners. I have actually worked for a couple of boutique and non boutique pedal and some synth companies assembling and designing. I make lots of pedals now but more for fun and then my friends ask me for something. This particular dude want something that looks and sounds "boutique". I was just trying to get some outside perspective. If you want some links to my work then PM me. I am not coming at this with no experience so stop being high and mighty. I also think there is criteria to a pedal that is being charged alot of money for as DIY pedals are.

Thomas,
First and foremost, good luck with your endeavor. In this economy you need to do whatever it takes to make sure the bills are paid and food is on the table!  ;D
As far as the responses you are getting. Just like any other tightly knit creative community, you are going to get those that have been around since the dawn of creation that will "rice bowl" or defend their hard work until the end of time..... and rightly so! Also, you will get those that are their "buddies" that are going to jump on the bandwagon and do the same.... and rightly so!
You will also get those that are willing to share (to include the people mentioned previously) and those that will not.
It is up to you who you will listen to or solicit help from. Sometimes you will get it and sometimes you will not. For the most part, people on this forum are MORE THAN WILLING to help.
Personally, I am a karma kinda guy. I enjoy helping anyone with what little knowledge I can. That way, if I ever need help, I can reach out to others that I have helped in the past.

ISN'T THAT WHAT THIS FORUM IS FOR ANYWAY  ???

To me.... BOUTIQUE = UNIQUE.

In order to qualify as Boutique, the pedal must be creative in every way. Anyone can slap a TS circuit into a painted enclosure and call it Boutique but is it really? I say no. Where is the creativity? Where is the UNIQUENESS?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

aziltz

Dragonfly

Don't worry about labels like "boutique".

Simply make the best quality product you can and sell it at a fair price (to the buyer AND to you).

Everything else will sort itself out.

thomasthebuzzard

here is something i discovered:
one coat of gloss paint (let dry completely overnight)
while you wait for that make a nicely detailed rubber stamp. (you can get a stamp kit from the local art store for fairly cheap)
another coat of gloss paint on the enclosure but don't let it dry completely
use color box ink (i have tried many stamp inks and this one works the best) and place the stamp on the mostly dried surface.
Once this layer is completely dry spray a light light light coat of clear coat. (if you use too much the stamp ink will run)
let this dry. after this is done spray another coat of clear coat( a little heavier)
once this is dry then bake for about 45 minutes (ish) between 200 and 300 degrees.
This gives the pedal a great, shiny and scratch resistant finish! IT ALSO LOOKS EMBOSSED!
I THINK I FOUND MY SYSTEM! ITS A LITTLE BARBARIC BUT LOOKS GREAT!

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

thomasthebuzzard

I got a couple of pics but i am unable to get them off my camera right now. I plan on posting them once they have pedals in them though. Looks pretty good though. My wife made a cute little bumblebee stamp and i used that. Im going to make a tube pedal to go into it in celebration of making them look presentable.

wavley

To quote myself from a previous post Boutique =
Quotemy fuzz face with two extra knobs built on cardboard had extra special mojo because the tone comes from the cardboard, and more specifically from Vintage Ikea cardboard from the Lagan countertop and while I was making it I had 2001 a space odyssey on betamax playing on a 1964 tube tv while druids danced around my living room drinking the dew of the first spring day.

That, and caps filled with Dragon blood.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

thomasthebuzzard

Where can i pick up some dragon blood? oh whoops. Im sorry. I didn't mean to ask a question. I've been told not to do that. Sorry. You worked hard to find that dragon blood.

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 07, 2010, 01:50:20 PM
Where can i pick up some dragon blood? oh whoops. Im sorry. I didn't mean to ask a question. I've been told not to do that. Sorry. You worked hard to find that dragon blood.
When I need Dragon Blood I usually look here to see who else found it first:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?action=search  ;)
Try a little tenderness.

Govmnt_Lacky

Asking a question without using the forum SEARCH function first: STRIKE ONE!  :-[

Asking a question requesting "easy answers and knowledge" in an attempt to profit: STRIKE TWO  :-[

Making fun or being sarcastic to people who responded to your 2 strikes: STILL UNKNOWN AT THIS POINT.

In my opinion, just use this as a learning experience. You definitely do not want to anger the forumites as they are fickle beasts yet invaluable to your quest for DIY stompbox superstardom!  :icon_rolleyes:

Just my humble opinion  8)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

wavley

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 07, 2010, 01:50:20 PM

I have a guy, it's the same guy that gets me semiconductors made with shavings from the horn of a Pegacorn (which is also the name of my mythical Tampa Death Metal band and an offshot of Skatallica)

You better watch it, your fate could be the same as this poor guy that just wanted to make a circuit box with a burst button.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=76932.0
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

alparent

Recipe for a "Boutique" pedal.

1 - a HIGH price tag!
2 - LOTS of fancy words! (Don't forget to use the words "True-bypass" and "Mojo", the more the better!)
3 - And gullible customers

Simple isn't it?

MikeH

Quote from: alparent on December 07, 2010, 02:47:58 PM
Recipe for a "Boutique" pedal.

1 - a HIGH price tag!
2 - LOTS of fancy words! (Don't forget to use the words "True-bypass" and "Mojo", the more the better!)
3 - And gullible customers

Simple isn't it?

Don't forget the GOOP.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

thomasthebuzzard

I suppose if I had posed the question in a different way like: "I want to buy a really nice and funky looking pedal, help please!" everybody would have sent me links to there own companies. Again: I DONT HAVE A COMPANY. I just have a fascination. I didn't have to give anybody anything to get on this forum and neither did you. Stop doing your best to alienate people. Nobody else finds it amusing or likes it. You think my question is stupid. I get it. I'm sorry for what its worth but stop acting all elite please. Just trying to learn. I am new to this sight and again i did use the search. I just missed a couple things. This is a learning experience and not an opportunity to jump down a learners throat. Do you do this to every new comer you find? Not that I expect it to stop because everybody with a keyboard and internet is a guru nowadays but can we keep this on topic at least? If you don't like the questions I ask then don't answer them. Simple as that. No thanks for putting a negative spin on this post. :-\

Hides-His-Eyes

The snarky comments are mixed in with pretty solid advice, the best of which is I think "Boutique is all a load of crap".

Sorry that our free advice wasn't spun to your liking. It's a bit of a weird question in that; as you might have noticed; there's no real definition. It's a word that people use to make money.

jacobyjd

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 07, 2010, 04:26:44 PM
I suppose if I had posed the question in a different way like: "I want to buy a really nice and funky looking pedal, help please!" everybody would have sent me links to there own companies.

The thing is, that's exactly the opposite reaction you'd get. The trick is to understand where everyone here is coming from, then take the advice that's already been given (e.g. check out the gigantic pictures thread for inspiration; check out some of the graphics tutorials out there, etc.).

Whether you 'have a company' or not isn't the issue...it's that you're looking for help on how to build pedals to sell, in which case, you should be offering compensation to everyone who has given you meaningful advice. Since you're more of a hobby builder, that's probably not feasible. The best thing to do is to simply ask your questions (use the search bar first), then build what you like :)

Go to a college campus, walk into a physics classroom, and start asking high school level questions. See how quickly the professor finds out that you're not a paying student.

Does that make sense? I know that 90% of this community is not interested in giving you a crappy welcome--and I'm not trying to be insulting or patronizing--but you've got to understand how questions about selling pedals come off in a community based around free knowledge.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

jrod

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 06, 2010, 12:28:25 PMI also feel like the art is half the pedal. If i am going to charge more money it has to have a sick paint job.

I think you nailed it right here, bro. Part of the boutique mystique is the facade, the smoke and mirrors, the "sick" art work. Make the outside of the pedal look cool, then give it a weird name, and lastly pour goop all over the circuit so that no one can see that the circuit is really just a Fuzz Face, Tube Screamer, or Tim E. circuit, etc.

Viola! Boutique!

And don't forget the work "tone" in your company name.

BTW, here is a great place to get pcb layouts made: www.guitarpcb.com Check him out. Great service and a great guy. I've ordered from him several times!