Ibanez 8 and 9 Series pedals power question

Started by soupbone, November 12, 2013, 03:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I  just  got  a  a  80's  Ibanez  Phaser.They're  a.c..Can  you  use  a  d.c.  9v  adapte (i.e. visual  sound  1  spot)?I've  read  Andreas  Moller (Stinkfoot) on  his  site  show  how  to  make  an  older  Boss  Pedal, ACA  to PSA  by  jumpering  a  diode  and  resistor.Just  wondering  if  you  have  to  do  the  same  for  older  Ibanez  Pedals.Thanks  in  advance! \m/

soupbone

I   need  to  proofread  my  post's.Geez...

anchovie

What's the actual model number? I had an 80s Ibanez chorus that took a regular 9V DC PSU.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Mark Hammer

If it can run on a 9v battery, the chances are very good, if not 100%, that the external power it wants is 9VDC.  The circuit will have to feed DC to the power lines eventually, so if the pedal uses an external AC source, then it would need to have internal rectification and regulation to provide that smooth DC; and that means more parts, bigger board, higher production costs.  There WILL be some current-hungry pedals that  ask for an AC external power source, and do all the rectification and regulation on-board.  But those tend to be the exception, and generally won't run off a measly 9V battery.

If a pedal offers the option of battery or external power, chances are close to 100% that it will use a 2.1mm barrel plug with outside positive.  The reason is that switching over from internal to external power means physically disabling a battery contact.  By virtue of how those barrel plugs/jacks work, it is the outside shaft contact that does the physical disabling, generally requiring the outside to be the "hot" contact.

If the pedal can NOT run off a battery, and only uses an external DC source, it becomes the manufacturer's option as to whether the outside is positive or negative, since nothing has to be "bumped out of the way" to switch over from battery to external.  If the power jack is of the mini phone-jack type, the tip is nearly always positive; again, because of how those plugs/jacks work.

zombiwoof

To sum it up, the reason that the older Boss pedals that used the ACA adapter needed a mod to work on a PSA adapter is that the ACA adapter was unregulated (my 9 volt ACA adapters put out about 13.7 volts), and those pedals had circuitry inside to bring that down to around 9 volts.  Later Boss pedals used the PSA adapter, which was a regulated 9 volt adapter, so those pedals didn't have the circuit to drop the voltage in them.  AFAIK, no Ibanez pedals had these issues, they were made to work with regulated 9 volt adapters from the start.

Al