Forum FV-1 project

Started by Ice-9, December 08, 2010, 03:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bean

Well, personally I prefer one layer vero in four dimensions. But, that's how I roll.

Ice-9

Quote from: bean on December 08, 2010, 07:32:02 PM
Well, personally I prefer one layer vero in four dimensions. But, that's how I roll.
Would that have to be called "The Borg Board"
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Skruffyhound

I'd like the multi effects options please. The size of the box doesn't matter for me. Modular sounds attractive as long as we don't get bogged down in all the options.

DDD

Two years ago I was a great fan of the through-hole-components and tried to avoid any SMD since they're pretty 'invisible"/
Today is vice versa.
I do prefer SMD 1206 components because they are a lot easier to work with. Plus it's no need to waste time drilling hundred holes, cleaning components' legs and cutting them after soldering. Also, final PCB for SMD is two times smaller.
So I vote for SMD.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

slacker

Great idea, personally I'd be most interested in the daughter board idea. That way you could do all the analogue wrapper stuff yourself using though hole components and whatever construction technique you liked.

I've been looking at experimenting with the FV1 for a while, my plan is to use a SOIC to DIP convertor board for the IC and do everything else on vero. I've gone as far as getting a programmer for the eeprom and just need to get round to ordering the chips and convertors.

StereoKills

I would love to see a SMD project for this as long as size doesn't go below 0805. Stereo options would be neat, but I probably would not end up using the feature.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

tiges_ tendres

Mick:  You wouldn't happen to have a link to that digital pot you use would you?  I've been toying with these two options, but one is only 12 presets, and the other only 8

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16616&variation=

http://www.grayhill.com/UserFiles/file/Rotary_56.pdf
Try a little tenderness.

peterv999

If I would have a say in this SMT design I would suggest for a microprocessor to control the fv-1 device and would include some epots. This would extend the use of the device while minimizing the fingerprint of the pots and selector. I would also add a weighted white noise generator circuitry that does not required to be populated with components if not used. By doing so the fv-1 would be a complete champion for sound designs.

Piet

Ice-9

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on December 09, 2010, 02:35:05 PM
Mick:  You wouldn't happen to have a link to that digital pot you use would you?  I've been toying with these two options, but one is only 12 presets, and the other only 8

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16616&variation=

http://www.grayhill.com/UserFiles/file/Rotary_56.pdf

This is the encoded i used in my old build. It has 16 positions so all onboard and eeprop programs could be accessed, and at only £2.69 its a bargain. I have a couple of smaller 360 degree digital pots to check out that a relatively cheap, I just need to find the datasheet for them.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=655+3235#header
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Ice-9

Quote from: peterv999 on December 10, 2010, 05:31:05 AM
If I would have a say in this SMT design I would suggest for a microprocessor to control the fv-1 device and would include some epots. This would extend the use of the device while minimizing the fingerprint of the pots and selector. I would also add a weighted white noise generator circuitry that does not required to be populated with components if not used. By doing so the fv-1 would be a complete champion for sound designs.

Piet

Hi Piet, With a microprocessor to control the FV-1 that would also add the possibility to expand the amount of programs that could be stored.

Some good ideas so far, it looks split between who would like SMD or thru hole at the moment.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

MetalGuy

I have most of the features you're talking about in my module which was intended to be used in guitar amps but it will fit in bigger 1590:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=70381.0

peterv999

Quote from: MetalGuy on December 10, 2010, 04:39:42 PM
I have most of the features you're talking about in my module which was intended to be used in guitar amps but it will fit in bigger 1590:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=70381.0

Nice design, I'm wondering what was done to it in the last two years assuming the publishing date was august 2008? It resembles the Elector design http://www.elektor.com/magazines/2010/september/digital-multi-effects-unit.1466658.lynkx but seems to be a better design for our purpose as the elektor design does not have a real pre-amp front end.

Piet

MetalGuy

QuoteNice design, I'm wondering what was done to it in the last two years assuming the publishing date was august 2008? It resembles the Elector design http://www.elektor.com/magazines/2010/september/digital-multi-effects-unit.1466658.lynkx but seems to be a better design for our purpose as the elektor design does not have a real pre-amp front end.

Unfortunately not much was done since then but it's not forgotten so to speak. I'm using it as it is from time to time. i designed a box for it but can't get to that yet. Some mods and improvements are in the list as well.
As you can see it's 2 years "older" than Elector's project and has more features. Adding an LCD or even a touchscreen is not a problem but I doubt the usefulness of that. There's also an extension pedal to remotely control it if it's built into an amp.

peterv999

I like the fv-1 DSP processor very much as it is next in line with the famous Alesis systems. It's fully designed with audio as the main objective and the unit cost is affordable. I know that the Elektor design would cost 185 euro as a kit and the design of the guy initiating this forum entry is possible less then 40 euro. I'm wondering what would be the expected cost for potential project interested people.

Piet

MetalGuy

QuoteI know that the Elektor design would cost 185 euro as a kit and the design of the guy initiating this forum entry is possible less then 40 euro.

Unfortunately at some point such projects become more expensive than a new multi FX rack unit. For 185 Euro you can buy either 2 cheaper ones or one with better quality.

Ice-9

Hi again, Great input upto now. It sounds like some people may not be interested in a micro controller for this, as there seems many people want to avoid too much SMD adding a microcontroller and led display may take this project too far away from what most want.

I think it may be possible to please nearly everyone by making the SMD components only IC's, which can be mounted one side of the pcb while others can be through hole components.
Or maybe we could split the project into 2 having a more complex SMD only board as well as the simpler through hole effect pcb.

Anyway I have started a schematic which is just the FV-1 and control pots with stereo input/outputs and also included the 24cxx Eeprom chip for the 8 extra programs. As yet i have not included a data pot/ encoder for patch selection until it's decided which way to go with that.

Have a look at this 1st schematic and see what you think can be added/improved etc.

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

MetalGuy

The best solution for those who don't like SMD components is to have a kit with presoldered IC's and everything else through hole.

peterv999

Mick, need your schematic in a better resolution!

Piet

Ice-9

I was just doing a bit of thinking as regards the internal / external programs. Would anybody actually want access to the internal 8 programs as they are just a starting point for building your own code.

Would it be better to have 8 selections from the external eeprom only, or would it be preferable to have a 16 position encoder so all 8 internal + 8 external programs can be selected ?

A question for Frank (or anyone that has the answer). I dont have an FV-1 chip built up at the moment so can't test this myself at the moment so I was hoping this question can be answered.  I have a 16 position encoder which can switch the hi/lo for patch select ok, but when switching between internal and external programs does the FV-1 need power reset or will it function switching between int/ext rom's.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Taylor

You can switch between internal and external while powered up, it acts just like switching programs. I have done it with a 16-position encoder and it works just the way you want it to.