Forum FV-1 project

Started by Ice-9, December 08, 2010, 03:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jule553648

Quote from: Taylor on January 05, 2011, 01:20:24 AM
You can switch between internal and external while powered up, it acts just like switching programs. I have done it with a 16-position encoder and it works just the way you want it to.

I done it with microcontroller, 1 button and 7 segment display who indicates the chosen program.

Also an input buffer makes makes a big difference.

octfrank

As Taylor and Jule553648 said, you can switch between internal and external on the fly. The internal state machine detects changes on the pins and decides how to load the program cache from internal ROM or external EEPROM. No need to power cycle the chip.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

Ice-9

Perfect ! thats the exact info i was looking for.

At the moment i am now thinking through the bypass switching for the unit, I think 2 footswitches might be used, 1 for bypass of the Reverb and a second for bypass of the Effect. This was covered before in another post but i think the solution was to switch the pots giving full dry output of reverb and/ or effect. It doesn't look possible to have a true bypass for each so I am thinking of having 1 switch as true bypass (turns on/off both effects)and the second switch turn the effect olny on/off leaving the reverb on.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Jule553648

I tried true bypass on my pedal but the popping sound was too loud.

The reverb and effect switches work excellent.

Ice-9

I know it's been a little while since I had some info on this thread, but I am now looking at the best way to change effects on the FV-1

There are two approaches to take while still keeping to housing the pedal in a small (ish) enclosure.

The first idea would be to use a rotary switch to pick between 8 or 16 effects.
The second idea would be to use a 3 or 4 bit  binary up counter to scroll through 8 or 16 effects using a stompswitch.
What would be preferable to everyone ? or does anyone have a different idea we could work on ?
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Skruffyhound

I think I would prefer the stompswitch.

Gordo

I've got the OCT board but am too lazy to work up a proper guitar interface for it.  Anyone else worked something up?  The OCT board itself provides the wet signal path but at low level.  What I hear sounds excellent though.
Bust the busters
Screw the feeders
Make the healers feel the way I feel...

Ice-9

If there is still some interest in this i have a bit of time to start doing a bit of work on it after the weekend when i get back (I'm off to Scotland for a few days on the beer).

My thoughts at the moment are to try and make a circuit/pcb that has all main effect circuitry on it and will fit a 1590bb. Apart from the IC's all the components will be through hole. If all goes well i will also do a fully smd pcb.

I'm thinking the main PCB, which can be used as the only PCB will have the connections for all the pots, switches and jacks etc, but i think i can design it utilising the same connections to either fit a cheap 16 way encoder switch for switching programs, or with a secondary pcb/stomp switch which will scroll through the programs, this is an option that is the builders choice of how you want to make your FV-1.
Also on the same lines there will be space to fit an internal Eeprom to the main PCB, but also the main PCB will have the option of plugging in a secondary PCB that holds a card reader, so any amount of effects can be swapped on the fly by just slotting in a different smartcard. Of course if these options are wanted then a larger enclosure will be needed.

How is this sounding to start on with.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Gordo on January 18, 2011, 07:44:39 PM
I've got the OCT board but am too lazy to work up a proper guitar interface for it.  Anyone else worked something up?  The OCT board itself provides the wet signal path but at low level.  What I hear sounds excellent though.

I have the same board and I would like a PCB layout for this as well. I tried to do a layout from the OCT datasheet but, sadly I stink at it so I need to practice.  :'(

Otherwise, I would not mind if someone who is more "capable" did a PCB layout to interface with this board. I think it could be done so the whole thing could fit into a 1590B or even a 125B with room to spare.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Ice-9

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 03, 2011, 09:32:31 PM
Quote from: Gordo on January 18, 2011, 07:44:39 PM
I've got the OCT board but am too lazy to work up a proper guitar interface for it.  Anyone else worked something up?  The OCT board itself provides the wet signal path but at low level.  What I hear sounds excellent though.

I have the same board and I would like a PCB layout for this as well. I tried to do a layout from the OCT datasheet but, sadly I stink at it so I need to practice.  :'(

Otherwise, I would not mind if someone who is more "capable" did a PCB layout to interface with this board. I think it could be done so the whole thing could fit into a 1590B or even a 125B with room to spare.

At the moment this project is not about making a pcb for Franks great OCT module, maybe after this is finished then another  pcb can be designed to take the oct module as well but for the time being i would like to concentrate on this project first. There is another member on this forum that has a thread and PCB's ready to go for the OCT module. Peterv999 is the member
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Ice-9 on February 04, 2011, 06:18:14 AM
There is another member on this forum that has a thread and PCB's ready to go for the OCT module. Peterv999 is the member

Thanks for the info. I tried searching for this thread and have had no luck. Could you point me to it with a link?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Ice-9

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 04, 2011, 12:49:18 PM
Quote from: Ice-9 on February 04, 2011, 06:18:14 AM
There is another member on this forum that has a thread and PCB's ready to go for the OCT module. Peterv999 is the member

Thanks for the info. I tried searching for this thread and have had no luck. Could you point me to it with a link?

Not exactly the thread but here is the link to his website
http://www.echotapper.nl/dev/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=45
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

peterv999

http://www.echotapper.nl/dev/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=45 is link without text format problems.

http://www.echotapper.nl/soundfiles/Lillemore.mp3 is an quick sound example of a vintage disc echo I've created. It's not yet fully calibrated but it gives an impression of how it could sound. I'm very much in favor of the fv-1 as it's easy to program and let you have delays up to 1 second! The support provided in the Spin forum and supported documents available from that excellent site is also a key attribute for building a solution.

Piet

Skruffyhound

I'm still very interested Mick. I would want the smartcard option myself. I like your modular approach.
I'm not at all familiar with any of this, and a monster workload this month is not going to allow me to catch up, but it sounds like an interesting build and I'm hoping to learn "through doing" on this one.

Ice-9

After quite a break and getting tied up with work and other rubbish life throws at you I have not posted much lately on this FV- project. That doesn't mean that no progress has been made though.

Today I have etched a PCB that i will later take some pictures of, the PCB is the main and complete circuit that can be used in a 1590 MXR type enclosure and has mono input with stereo outputs. (mono or stereo outs can be used to suit ) There are connections points for three control pots and a 8 or 16 position data pot, which also is the same pin outs that will connect direct to the planned footswitch pcb to scroll patches. An onboard external eeprom is catered for as well allowing your own patches or patches downloadable from the Spin website to be used, as well as this I will incorporate the smartcard reader PCB connections.

Over the weekend I will build the PCB and test it out to see how it performs, It is at the moment a SMD circuit but once the finished circuit is working the way it is meant to I will make a through hole PCB to work with as well.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Ice-9

I have etched the PCB and have taken a picture of it to show a bit of the layout, I have placed a couple of the components on to give a view of how it should size up and have also put one of my switch jack pcbs that fit into a 1590 right next to it to give some persective to size.

This PCB could be used on its own in a 1590 or with the extra boards I intend to add for direct connection for expansion in a bigger enclosure hopefully will make it quite a good unit to build on in many ways.

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Fuzz Aldryn

Quote from: Ice-9 on March 11, 2011, 05:52:59 PM
I have etched the PCB and have taken a picture of it to show a bit of the layout, I have placed a couple of the components on to give a view of how it should size up and have also put one of my switch jack pcbs that fit into a 1590 right next to it to give some persective to size.

This PCB could be used on its own in a 1590 or with the extra boards I intend to add for direct connection for expansion in a bigger enclosure hopefully will make it quite a good unit to build on in many ways.

Great, great news. I'm looking forward to this. Realy like the smd design and your footswitch/jacks pcb.

Skruffyhound

Fuzz Aldryn

I still cannot believe that there's so little interest in this project compared to many other less promising projects. Is a Fuzz Face or Rebote No 1000 so much more interesting? At least to me not.  :icon_rolleyes:

Taylor

I think people need to be shown what it can do to be interested.

About a year ago, a bunch of people at another forum were wanting to "clone" the WMD Geiger Counter. They were literally cloning the digital hardware, at looking at ways to scan the waveforms available and automatically create identical lookup tables. But this is idiotic, as the effect is all in the code, which they can't copy. I actually offered to design, from scratch, a digital wave shaper distortion with wave folding and all that, using the FV1. Pretty much nobody was interested. They ignored it and went on trying to clone the WMD, then hit the inevitable wall when none of them knew how to write code.  :icon_rolleyes:

To be really interested, people need to see what it can do, how it can sound, and preferably be shown a video of Jack White using it in concert. I think they're also probably turned off by the SMD. This and other reasons are why I never decided to offer any of my FV1 designs as PCBs for sale.

I think Mick just needs to do it and then show people all it's capable of. I will post some programs for them to use when it's available.