SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

SuperFuzz

Started by craigmillard, November 09, 2009, 09:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigmillard

Hi all,

Quick question ;)

I have just built a super-fuzz from Ustomps layouts and am getting alot of ground noise!!:(

The only change i have made from the original is to add a DPDT footswitch for the tone section which is being used as a SPDT switch, Should i ground the other half of the switch? could this be what is making the added noise?

Cheers
C

petemoore

I have just built a super-fuzz from Ustomps layouts and am getting alot of ground noise!!:(
  Noise Floor ?...Gnd. should be 0.0Vdc which isn't a signal.
The only change i have made from the original is to add a DPDT footswitch for the tone section which is being used as a SPDT switch, Should i ground the other half of the switch? could this be what is making the added noise?
  I can't imagine why such a mod would be a source of noise. Of course I've had debugs that go well beyond my imagination too.
  Audio probe that circuit, it's kinda long, and the probe should be able to give you a better idea where the noise is introduced.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Brainbender

Recently i built the Superfuzz according to this layout:

http://ustomp.com/?p=12, but it seems it's not working as it should.

I checked the pcb for short connections, played with 2N5088, 2N5089 (i also

reversed the sides) and 2SC828 (i also replaced the pinouts etc.) and the

2N3904... Combined the 2n5088 and 2sc828 (Q3 & Q4).
I replaced the diodes' positions, checked offboard wiring, but nothing helped.

When i strum the strings on a guitar the effect shows the signs of life with 2n5088's.
Sound going out of it is like bypassed (clean) sound but with some radio frequency interference.
Tone switch also work and i can hear the tone difference.

What's happening?
Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!