Would you spend $549 on an OD pedal?

Started by bwanasonic, December 13, 2010, 01:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: J0K3RX on August 14, 2016, 08:41:28 AM
Quote from: Johan on August 14, 2016, 08:18:09 AM
...i think you missed my point when necroposting. Perhaps i should have started a new thread. ..oh well. .
j

A Norwegian company just started selling bottled fjord-air in Hongkong you said...  ::) Perhaps you should start bottling your farts and selling them as a cures for different illnesses..? Or, you can just sit there and not let anybody else enjoy your brand of "healing aroma therapy"... You know, you will kick yourself later when you find out some other person/company has started selling bottled farts and they are now making sh!t loads of cash.  :icon_lol:

karbomusic

QuoteThis pedal costs me around $37.11 to make

I'm confused about the 'to make' part. ;)

I won't unnecessarily rehash the obvious (nor make excuses for that 549 pedal because I'm sure there is some sucka built into that price) but there is a huge difference between our (like me) making a pedal in my own time and selling it based on what the parts cost and doing it for a real (as in you pay the tax man and have all the required permits etc.). Entirely different ball of wax and of course the labor, R&D, mistakes, the whole nine yards really adds up if we truly account for everything it costs to make then need to recoup that + any other fees pie grabbers like government agencies demand.

I still do sell a couple of designs to real customers as a side-business. Parts alone are about 60.00 USD and takes a several hours to build if I count that time as time I can't use doing something completely unrelated; I have a hard time getting one out the door for less than 200.00. Since I have a day job, it's truly labor of love with a small profit to help cover but it really isn't profit, I'd lose money if I needed to eat at that price, I call it a paid hobby because the real job pays much better.

electrosonic

Of course a straight up clone involves no R&D. That said I can understand a touring musician paying for a more rugged clone - sort of like Pete Cornish's products.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER