Help with a dead vintage MXR Flanger

Started by ugly_guitar_guy, December 28, 2010, 07:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_guitar_guy

A co-worker gave me his old 70's MXR Flanger unit to try to fix and I honestly don;t know where to start. It passes signal just fine, but when switched on it makes a very loud buzzing and has zero guitar signal. A quick look at all components shows nothing out of place or joints/traces broken so I can only imagine what could be the cause. Any help or an idea of where to begin?? Thanks!
Check out my metal band here: www.facebook.com/hollowshell
or
my personal effects building page here: www.facebook.com/brotronics

Scruffie

Could be any number of things, i'd start with swapping out the CMOS Chips, they seem to go alot, bad caps could also be a culprit and Op-Amps can go too.
Hopefully it's not the worse case scenario, Dead BBD  :'(

Cardboard Tube Samurai

I just did a google search to find which pedal it was (because I'm awaiting chips for an Ibanez Flanger) and came up with this http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=82254.0. Read the edit in the last post. Did this come up in a forum search at all?

oldschoolanalog

First try replacing the big power supply cap.
Most likely component to fail.
At 30+ years of age, that should be done anyway.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.