PWM build report

Started by auden100, January 03, 2011, 05:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auden100

With this version of the PWM, I started with Beavis' modifications, and went from there. I had the PWM on my breadboard for a while, and these are the mods I ended up going with:

- Added the Electra Distortion (using a 2n5088) to the front to give it more sustain, and a bit of boost.
- Next comes an RC Lowpass to tone it back a bit and remove some harsh high end scratchiness.
- Added a 47nF cap to ground before the lowpass to pull off extra high end.
- Changed the lowpass values and arrangement a bit based on what I had around.
- Added a 'Range' switch that changes the 2.2nF from a 6.8nF to a 2.2nF.
- Also added a resistor in series with the Width pot to keep the upper end from sputtering out.

The resulting sound has a lot of usable settings. Low, synthy bass up to horn-like octave-up sounds. It works well with bass too. It completely lacks dynamics. So an expression pedal is very useful. Additionally, delay provides some very synthy qualities. It does sound a lot like a fuzz, but I think I might have room for both in my effect line-up.

The schematic and the layout do not show the series 'Width' resistor, but I added the note on the layout just now. It fits easily enough. I made one mistake with my layout in that I forgot to power the 40106. A simple jumper did the trick.

I like this pedal immensely. I'll post some pics of my build and perhaps some samples when I get a moment.

Illustrator by day. Pedal tinkerer by night.
www.artstation.com/auden