Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere

Started by Fredenando, January 03, 2011, 11:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12Bass

Quote from: MR COFFEE on January 10, 2011, 06:43:52 PM
Hey 12bass,

The link got truncated. Wanna try again?

Weird...

It doesn't want to allow the link for some reason.  Thanks Fredenando.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

PRR

> The rolls unit is also thoughtfully designed

Stuff over ~~700Hz goes to a wobbly delay chip with the compander frill and a 7KHz low-pass. .

A full-range signal runs through two OTAs rigged as variable low-pass filters. then a steep fixed ~~700Hz low-pass.

The lows are not truly Doppler-shifted. It may be that the Doppler is not real significant, or masked by Dopplered highs, but the large cone's directivity must be emulated.

Interesting, but a pain to scratch-build, and these days if you gonna build more than a thousand it would probably be cheaper to algorize a computing chip. (Which means every year it will be harder to source the NE and MN chips).
  • SUPPORTER

imaradiostar

"I want to go to there..."

Just bought a broken rotosphere mkII- currently waiting on a clock chip to fix it. I recall my friend's rotosphere (mkI) being amazing so I'm hoping mine is too.

Meanwhile I have to say that the roto choir demo sounds pretty great. I'll bet the strymon pedal is going to be amazing too!

Anyone know the difference between the original rotosphere and the mkII?

jamie
Hi! I like to build stuff. Sometimes, when life slows down a little bit, I even get to build stuff for myself and others rather than just for work.

Fredenando

The Mk2 is almost identical, plus 2 extra trimpots beside the Rotor Balance control to fine tune the low and high rotor speeds.