Variable Frequency Crossover for Chorus Effect

Started by petejt, January 04, 2011, 10:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petejt

Hi there. I apologise if this in the wrong place, because instead of building my own stompbox, I am modifying one.

I have a Boss CE-3 Chorus Ensemble, which was Made in Japan in 1984.

Instead of a Level or Mix control, I want to install a Variable Crossover.

This is so I can select via a threshold level, what portion of the signal is modulated, and what is not.
For example, I can set the crossover Control to 800Hz, where frequencies >800Hz are modulated, and frequencies <800Hz are bypassed to the end before the output. I got the idea of 800Hz from the original Leslie rotating speaker systems, where the crossover threshold is 800Hz.

By changing the setting of the Crossover Control, I can effectively change the mix level- a low setting would send all frequencies to the modulation circuit, thus resulting in a Vibrato effect with no dry signal. Conversely, a high setting would only select the upper register of frequencies to be modulated, leaving most of the signal intact and therefore only a light chorus effect.

The CE-3 has two Mode output settings: Mode 2 is like the output of a CE-1, the A output is fully wet, and the B output fully dry. Using two amps in stereo creates the chorus effect in the air after the speakers.

Mode 1 however, blends the wet and dry signals. The A output adds the wet signal to the dry (Direct + Effect), and the B output subtracts it (Direct - Effect). By using the crossover on a high setting, the A output would have the full signal with a light chorus effect, and the B output would have a deeper, bassy sound with no modulation.

What are the implications of how to install a variable crossover into my CE-3?
Are they big devices? Or just like a variable capacitor? I want to be able to adjust the crossover via a rotary control on the outside of the pedal, just like the Rate and Depth?
Can I connect it in series to the input, and it would have two output leads- one treble (to connect to the BBD); one bass (for bypass to the output mixer)?
Or is it more complicated than that?

soggybag

Sounds similar to the Tremolo-matic X from the Stompboxology newsletter Mo' tremolo. The effect pans between the two with a voltage controlled mixer.

petejt

So am I able to obtain a variable capacitor to install into my CE-3?